Tethering phone to router

Soldato
In the middle of moving at work and our internet was supposed to be up today. They've rung and said it won't be till next Friday now and we can't go a week without Internet.

None of the pc's have wireless built in. I'm aware I could get dongles over the weekend but ideally that isn't suitable.

My bosses laptop has wifi so he has paid for me to get an extra 10gb data and I can tether my phone to it. But we need Internet on the others, I tried running a tether straight from my iPhone to the router via USB but doesn't seem to work.

The into of thing I can think of is connecting the laptop to the router via wan2 and bridging the connection so the laptop feeds the wireless tether to router and shares the Internet through the network to the PC's would this work and how on earth would I do it? Never actually made a bridge before.

Anyone got any other ideas?

The router is a Draytek vigor2830n of it makes any difference.

Soldato
OP
I thought that's what the USB was for. Is there no way to get it run an iPhone over it though? As iPhone offer the ability to tether over USB.

Also the dongles fine but I can never seem to find any that offer a decent amount of data that aren't monthly contracts

Soldato
If you want to continue with the iPhone a TP-Link TL-WR802N or TL-WR702N Nano router could bridge the gap.

Connect it to a PC with a cable and set in into client mode. Configure it to connect to the phone's hotspot.

Disconnect from the PC and connect to one of the DrayTek's WAN ports and you should have the phone's connection available.

Soldato
Thats how I'd do it also, cheap TP Link access point in client mode connected to the hotspot and wired to the WAN2 port of the draytek.

If you go the dongle route, make sure its on the supported list.

Soldato
I thought that's what the USB was for. Is there no way to get it run an iPhone over it though? As iPhone offer the ability to tether over USB.

Also the dongles fine but I can never seem to find any that offer a decent amount of data that aren't monthly contracts

The USB is only for certain supported dongles, not phones. Not sure for the 2830 but my office's 2860 has a list of supported dongles on the web UI page in the USB/WAN settings page (can't 100% remember where).

Soldato
Could you not just use the laptop?
Tether the iphone to the laptop, plug the laptops lan port into the router (same as any other machine), share the tethered connection on the laptop, point all the other office machines at the laptop as gateway+dns (or use an external DNS like google).

Back
Top Bottom