Text messaging is destroying conversation

Man of Honour
Otacon said:
Possibly, though I think that just brings us back to the age thing. Years ago it would have been big earning business type folk, and even if it was accessible to the 'common' types, I think most adults these days (thinking a generation or two above ours) couldn't read translate speak in the same way they couldn't translate arabic :p
Heheee true, I missed the age thing.

Though my granny is scarily high tech...earlier she rang me and asked me to buy something online, and told me to text her when I've bought it :eek:

Soldato
Bleh.. I get 300 free texts a month when I top up a tenner.. I make use of them by using full English with proper grammar and no abbreviations. :) 3texts/message = win.

No shortenings for me.. (except the classic pwnt ;) )

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Code:
Yo waguan..i cn hak ya add bk if ya want..jus cum online nw plz

sounds like some south-east london black (or wigga) kid trying for some cyber.

Code:
Yo, what's goin' on? i can hack it, add me back if you want...just come online now please

i'm so street it hurts a little.

my friends take it out of me because i don't abbreviate in texts. and i punctuate and everything. i h8 all dat shrt txtn bs

Soldato
:eek:

I got the jist of the message but thats awesome - no one I talked to had a clue about 'waguan'

Personally I hate text messages not for poor abbreviations or luck of punctuation but simply for the fact that they quite often don't turn up in time :/

Permabanned
2QT2BSTR8.

personally, i always use full words in text messages, it tends to drive me bonkers if someone sends me a text that needs to be decoded to be understood... i often wonder if the person at the other end had a Stroke whilst they were texting me.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Permabanned
Otacon said:

Anybody else experience this?
Personally, no, because I don't do text. Anyone that knows me well enough to have my phone number (and that's a pretty small group) knows better than to text me, because any such message will be deleted unread.

If it's important enough to bother me with, talk to me. If it isn't, don't bother me with it. No, and I mean NO exceptions to that.

Soldato
Otacon said:
I like it when you talk too :o
Pass me the sick bucket :p

My Ex girlfriend used to always use texts rather than call, problem was that where she lived they seemed to take ages to arrive for some reason. I remember having a huge arguement with her because she sent me a text saying she was in the bar at the hotel and I never got it, She accused me of watching telly rather than being with her :eek: as if I would have done something like that :p

Soldato
locutus12 said:
dont you just love it when someone on msm has replaced words WITH PICTURES!!!!

post-13924-1132329130.gif
post-10398-1121075190.gif
post-10398-1121189422.gif
post-14340-1131417193.gif

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I loathe that too. I find it SO irritating.

Its really annoying, I know someone that kept sending me those stupid nudge animations. His perma blocked now! Also when they type those stupid emoticons end up in the middle of some words :mad:

Soldato
The people who texts a lot during social outing, can be annoying and sometimes breaks the middle of conversation. As soon as you see their neck goes down in snapping 90 degress, 'here we go' I would think! :rolleyes:

Also on late nights outing like pub, you would receive the texts asking for your favours!

Soldato
Texting is so annoying, takes up so much time and especially when you see 90% of people walking down the street texting to someone.

I say do what the americans do and use that voice messaging thingy, not sure what it's called but you hold down a button, a bit like a walkie talkie :p say your message and then it's sent costing roughly the same as a text. That way you can have emotion in your voice so you can get the proper message across and it's takes 10 times quicker than a text message.

Soldato
barnettgs said:
The people who texts a lot during social outing, can be annoying and sometimes breaks the middle of conversation. As soon as you see their neck goes down in snapping 90 degress, 'here we go' I would think! :rolleyes:

Also on late nights outing like pub, you would receive the texts asking for your favours!
Aye that's one of my pet hates, almost like you're expected to sit and wait while they text away, if it's something I need to reply to then I'll at least let the person know that I just have to reply quickly and apologise. Apparently my friends can always tell when I'm in the pub because my replies to texts are usually when I nip to the loo or in breaks in conversation rather than replying straight away :p

Soldato
Freeman said:
Texting is so annoying, takes up so much time and especially when you see 90% of people walking down the street texting to someone.

I say do what the americans do and use that voice messaging thingy, not sure what it's called but you hold down a button, a bit like a walkie talkie :p say your message and then it's sent costing roughly the same as a text. That way you can have emotion in your voice so you can get the proper message across and it's takes 10 times quicker than a text message.

i think it's called talk n walk or walk n talk or something like that. A lot of people have that service in the US and it's quite good. Some UK phone are equipped with it, but the service isn't available here.

Soldato
You could argue this case against TV and the internet also, and imho its true.
Not only does it allow them to say things without actually saying it, but how often has an interesting conversation been interupted or cut short by or as a result of a phone call or text message. I say boycott mobiles, whatever happened to making plans? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom