TG DarkPro 8pack RAM crashes games if run at stock MHz

Associate
I bought the 8pack ram from OC a while ago but it has never managed to run stable at stock 3200Mhz in my system. If i run it at stock 3200Mhz, the PC runs fine but when playing any game it will crash to Windows desktop after a while. I have to change the bios setting down to 3000MHz and then it works fine with no crashes. Does anyone know what the problem could be?. I have not changed any settings in the bios other than setting the D.O.C.P frequency to 3200MHz. (I would add a pic of my bios settings but I'm not sure how to do that on this forum)

My PC
ROG Strix B550-F
Ryzen 3700X
TG 8pack RAM 16gb 3200MHz (2x8GB)
Samsung 980 pro
RTX2060
Seasonic 550W PSU

Associate
OP
Are you manually setting the ram speed or selecting the profile on the DOCP setting?

Are you on the latest none beta bios?

The only thing i have changed other than using the D.O.C.P option is setting the frequency to 3200MHz via the drop down option. Check the pic here: https://ibb.co/NTKTBdT
"
However, i went to check the bios version and it is quite an old one!. I didn't realise because ROG Armoury Crate said i had the latest version installed. So i will need to update that then do some game tests to to check if anything has changed.

Soldato
Could possibly be a faulty kit, I have the same model and run it at 3800mhz on my B450 tomahawk and even managed to get it to boot at 4600mhz when I was just playing about to see how far it would go.

Try setting XMP then running a memtest, if it errors then repeat the test but with 1 stick at a time.

Associate
OP
So i updated the BIOS and ran a quick memtest. At first my PC was running fine, games were playing with no crashes. This morning however, games began having crashes again. A quick memtest didnt show any errors. I have no idea what could be the issue with running the RAM at stock MHz, could it be anything to do with the Ryzen CPU or something?

Last edited:
Soldato
What does the event log say? Is the RAM kit stable at the default JEDEC 2400Mhz profile? Tested one at a time?

I have the same kit, all I did was enable the 3200 MHz profile and manually set the voltage to 1.35v. There was one point where 3200MHz suddenly became unstable but swapping the RAM sticks around oddly fixed it, although in the end it was a motherboard issue which was RMA'd later.

Soldato
Are the Dimms in the correct slots, usually the two furthest from the CPU?

Have 2 kits (4 Dimms) in B550 mortar with 3700X runs fine, was also fine in my B450 mortar before that died.

Associate
I have also the same kit running a 3800 16-16-16-34 with 1.39v but all timings following ryzen dram calculator (relaxing the original dram calculator settings as they were too fast and unstable but they give me some guidance).

How you checked windows even viewer? you can see there all WHEA errors and the ofender!

Associate
OP
I am just coming back to this post, which I made a year ago. Since then, i have basically built a new PC and decided to upgrade to the 32gb/3600mhz version of this ram kit. Guess what? I am having the same issue even with a new cpu/mobo installed. The system becomes unstable as soon as you go over 3000Mhz. I have tried playing around with the DRAM voltage in the bios, but nothing becomes stable, it just posts in safe mode. I really dont know what else to do. Can I really be the only one who has had this issue with this RAM?

My new PC specs:
5900x
ROG B550-F Wifi II
32GB 3600MHz (running @3000MHz) 8pack DarkPro
1Tb M.2
RTX 3080 10GB

Soldato
I am just coming back to this post, which I made a year ago. Since then, i have basically built a new PC and decided to upgrade to the 32gb/3600mhz version of this ram kit. Guess what? I am having the same issue even with a new cpu/mobo installed. The system becomes unstable as soon as you go over 3000Mhz. I have tried playing around with the DRAM voltage in the bios, but nothing becomes stable, it just posts in safe mode. I really dont know what else to do. Can I really be the only one who has had this issue with this RAM?

My new PC specs:
5900x
ROG B550-F Wifi II
32GB 3600MHz (running @3000MHz) 8pack DarkPro
1Tb M.2
RTX 3080 10GB
The fact that you've now had the same issue with 2 different ram kits would likely point to it being something other than the ram.

Associate
Used a 3200 kit since the launch of Ryzen 1000 series and even back then, when RAM support was patchy, never had any issues. Considering how much better RAM support is for the 5000 series, I wouldn’t expect some good B-die RAM to cause issues.
My first guess was bad luck, but a second kit and new system almost discard RAM being the problem.
To be fair, the only game I ever had issue with RAM at advertised speed was BF5. Very poor game.

Soldato
You also have a new PSU right? I can't imagine that Seasonic 550W smoothly running a 3080.

Just to make sure, you're not doing anything else apart from selecting the memory profile right? As in, leaving the speeds and timing untouched so XMP fully takes over.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have 4 sticks of this ram, 5900X, currently running at 3600, albeit CL16. Ran it at 3200 DOCP settings fine with a 2700x and a 3900x.

Could try bumping the voltage up a little and running Karhu or HCI memtest, these kits will take a bit more voltage.

* ah, you tried voltage......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom