The 150BHP Rover 416 Explained... Mod Reccomendations needed! :)

Soldato
I assumed most modern ECU's were quite programmable anyway? Depending on the cams I wouldn't have thought it would be worth while to go for pulleys etc. Pulleys might be useful for every single bit of power you want to extract but price vs power gain... worth it? Will adjusting the timing via the map/knock sensor be fine for most of the power anyway?

I hardly think a cam on a 1.6 would require increased fuelling, the pump should be fine for that? At higher RPM where the engine needs fuel what's the bottle neck? I doubt the injectors etc will be struggling nor will the pump and this can be sorted by a map on a RR.

You know your stuff so i'd like to know where I'm misunderstanding :)

Increased fuelling comes from keeping the injectors open for longer which is purely down to the ECU (assuming pump and injector capacity are up to the job). The whole point of a performance cam is to get more air into the engine, and you need to supply extra fuel to use this air. The lambda sensor will correct the fuelling under part throttle, but with the throttle nailed open the ECU ignores the lambda sensor since the engine requires a rich mixture for optimum power, and a narrow band sensor is only useful around stoich. A rising rate fuel pressure regulator is the bodgers way of fixing this.

The problem with aftermarket cams is that the timing accuracy can vary quite lot, some may be pretty close, other may be several degrees out. You should always check the cam timing against the manufacturers recommendations at least (though they may not be optimal for any given engine).

My brother has aftermarket cams in his Elise, and not only is the idle quality fairly poor on MEMS, the mid-top end performance from his Emerald system is significantly better.

Soldato
Yea run her untill she goes bang! Then street might be selling his car, so you could snap up a bargin! :)

Yeh.. August/September time and hopefully I'll have my shiny new Leon..

There is nothing wrong with a Focus (well except for the interior being foul), but it certainly doesn't "look the dog's ********".

Nothing wrong with the interior in my opinion. I've got nice huggy, half leathers in mine! :)

Associate
The problem with aftermarket cams is that the timing accuracy can vary quite lot, some may be pretty close, other may be several degrees out. You should always check the cam timing against the manufacturers recommendations at least (though they may not be optimal for any given engine).

eh?

you don't just bung cams in, they need to be timed up properly (using a DTI guage etc..)

Associate
1. Paint job! Rover red is bad. Smooth all over (lose the body trim)
2. Small spoiler
3. Alloys. Nothing too OTT. Some 16-17's
4. Lose the door locks/badges
5. Single wiper conversion

Sorted.

Sort some simple ICE. Head unit, some decent 6x9's and a small sub. Again, nice but not too OTT.

Back
Top Bottom