• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The £500 go to card?

Associate
Hey guys.
Whats the go to £500 card?
From what i can gather its simply the RX6800/XT or the 7800XT.
Benefits for the 7800 are a minimal FPS boost but its "newer" and will hold re sale value better over the next 12 months.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6800 but just making sure its the right choice, i scratch my head a little thinking the 6800 is 3 years old but it appears to be the one to get.
thanks

Nope.

6800 (if you mean 6800 non-XT rather than 6800 XT) is a decent card, but just to be clear: it is not £500 (they're around £400).
Yes brother - the none XT variant of the 6800 I can get brand new for £375 - 2nd hand they should be around £300-320 - if you over clock it you get base 6800XT speeds.
The thing is the 2nd hand market is a little stupid - you can find a base price with a simple google surface search, then you go on ebay for 2nd hand cards and they are literally selling for brand new prices. lmao
Only trouble with second hand is the paper work trail isnt as appealing in resale - I kind of keep a card for 6 to 12 months then just add £300 to keep my cycle going. Buying 2nd hand if i can i try and make sure its just under 12 months old.
Crickey i looked yesterday and my ryzen 5 3600 is selling for £85 second hand hahaha - so the processor is due an upgrade too, but thik selling a 3600 CPU will take a while to shift unless you just bottom out on the price and let it go for £70.
Im trying to shift my RX6600 now - but thats gotta sell soon koz its about to become unappealing and drop below £130-150 on resale, i waited 6 motnhs too long to sell it, im down £100 on it now.
The 2nd hand re sale shuffle as i call it has to stay on top within a 12 month window 8-10 months been ideal.

I was trying to sell a GTX1650 - prices is down to £80 already hahaha just 11 months ago it would have sold for 100-130. Some of them are going for £75-65 I dont understand why people sit on cards on ebay holding out for higher amounts when a simple ebay search obliterates your price.

Last edited:
For me, a 7800xt at about 475 is a good buy at the moment.

If you value RT or only play slower single player games, NV are your best bet.

The 7800xt could become a poor buy in 2 or 3 months when NV release the super variants, but who knows what their pricing will be...

Ya 7800 has the newer release date going for it - i only play on 1080p and occasioanlly use ray tracing so RT isnt that big of a deal to me. But NVDIA does handle the RT much better.

Back
Top Bottom