• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The 5800x is now a viable price/perf CPU due to the price increases of the 5600x and 5900x...

Soldato
Gone are the days of AMD being the value for gaming, seems the roles have no reversed. Well if you're at the top of your game why not charge the price for it too.

Soldato
None of the new 5000 series CPUs really have a good price performance ratio especially when compared to Zen 2 or even Intel.

If you need more cores then the 3900X gives much more performance for around the same price as the 5800X.

If you want fast cores then the 10600k offers similar gaming performance to a 5600X for £100 less or you can get a 10700k which has a couple of extra cores for almost the same price as the 5600X and £80 less than the 5800X.

For anyone on a budget then either the 10400/3600 offer the best price performance.

Zen 3 just offers worse performance per $ than what was available a year ago so while the CPUs put out higher numbers than before the performance you're getting for your cash that has actually reduced.

Last edited:
Permabanned
What average user day trades and to the extent that they require that many browser tabs open? We're talking ACTIVE tabs, not just 20 Tesco grocery tabs and general web browsing.

You're killing your own argument by talking about day trading and using your PC for work. That only satisfies a small user base.

In most cases, nothing requires it but you are free you leave them open while you have a gaming session.
Hell, I am now running this page https://www.gamingscan.com/how-many-cores-for-gaming/ and there is always a video running all the time - the CPU is loaded to 10%. And this is a single tab with a single video.

Soldato
if 2 systems are same performance and same price then id always get the intel one. amd still seen as a cheaper alternative. not gonna pay iphone money for a android phone now are we?

Associate
It seems to me that the 5000 series hits the sweet spot between single thread and multicore performance.

If you only need one or the other, there are better options in terms of value. If you need both, I don't think it's matched is it?

Associate
With the price of the 5600x rising a futher 10% to £330 and the price of the 5900x rising a further 15% or so to £600, the 5800x has stayed at the £420 MSRP and now finally has a more rational place in the lineup in terms of price/performance.

Calculations made with https://percentagecalculator.net/
  • The 5800x at £420 is now only 27% more expensive than the 5600x for 33% more cores.
  • The 5800x at £420 is now 43% cheaper than the 5900x for 50% less cores.
So to summarize, with the recent price increases the 5800x has improved considerably in relative value, while the 5600x is now the worst value of all of the Zen3 CPU's! The 5900x is now only slightly better value than the 5800x.

This is a far cry from the release prices when the 5800x looked like terrible value in it's price positioning and I would assume is in large part due to the lower sales and surplus stock.

TLDR: if you want the best price/performance Zen3 gaming CPU then buy a 5800x before the price increases in line with the 5600x and 5900x. :)

What is the source for this price increase information? Or are we just talking about gouging here?

Associate
In most cases, nothing requires it but you are free you leave them open while you have a gaming session.
Hell, I am now running this page https://www.gamingscan.com/how-many-cores-for-gaming/ and there is always a video running all the time - the CPU is loaded to 10%. And this is a single tab with a single video.

I'm guessing you've never seen, used or owned any modern high end AMD CPU, because what you say might make sense on paper... but paper burns.

Going from a 12 core 3900x that scored over 7700 in CB20 to an 8 core that scores 6100ish has made absolutely no difference to windows and other apps. I can still game and steam exactly the same settings as I did with the 12 core, whilst having work VM open and a load of chrome tabs. It's made zero detrimental impact to my use. The only actual real world difference for me is gaming performance has increased.

5800x makes infinitely more sense for the vast majority of people.

Associate
Call it whatever you like, it doesn't change the point that the prices of the 5600x and 5900x have risen by 10-15% while the 5800x has stayed static.

To be fair they have raised here again, but elsewhere not so much the case. 5600x you can get for £280 when in stock which I think is a relative bargain. Even the 5800x can be had cheaper, I paid £370 for mine the other month and my friend just got his 5800x last week for £350. 5900x price seems irrelevant at the moment, they don't seem to exist outside of initial allocation lol.

In other words, i wouldn't use OCUK pricing to determine actual costs.

Caporegime
OP
To be fair they have raised here again, but elsewhere not so much the case. 5600x you can get for £280 when in stock which I think is a relative bargain. Even the 5800x can be had cheaper, I paid £370 for mine the other month and my friend just got his 5800x last week for £350. 5900x price seems irrelevant at the moment, they don't seem to exist outside of initial allocation lol.

In other words, i wouldn't use OCUK pricing to determine actual costs.
There is no 5600x for £280 in stock... it says in stock on the price search but when you click the link its out of stock. The cheapest in stock is £320.

Associate
They are available at £280 very regularly - it's not a nvidia 3xxx series situation for people trying to grab a 5600 or 5800

Back
Top Bottom