Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Associate
If MS are deleting legitimate non infected files then I'd class that worse than malware, that's up there with ransomeware as both ways you lose files.

I only use Avast, have done for many years now and it's never really given me any trouble.

Soldato
I've been using bitdefender Free anyone know of anything better? some have suggested Avira and avast
I went back to avast for a bit but got annoyed within a day and switched back.
Avira ive not tried in years and AVG I assume will be the same as avast

I'm also using Malwarebytes is it worth upgrading to malwarebytes premium?

Man of Honour
If MS are deleting legitimate non infected files then I'd class that worse than malware, that's up there with ransomeware as both ways you lose files.

I only use Avast, have done for many years now and it's never really given me any trouble.

The report has only been based on the decss dvd decryption tool files being flagged and may well be something that got added to the engine unknowingly. There's been no further comment on the issue since it was posted about a few months back and no other files are flagged, just this dvd decrypting tool from everything I've read in the linked reddit. For all intents and purposes this appears to be a false positive and something that may well be even fixed now but as usual it's a MS issue so is massively blown out of proportion.

Personally I use Windows Defender, and have used for long periods, BitDefender, AVAST, Avira etc. Most recently BitDefender Free which was fine and slick, very fast but it's a cloud based AV that scans files based on hashes and if something has already been greenlit then it won't scan it again which is why it's so fast and system performance freindly.

I see no reason to ditch Defender. Watched many Defender/Avira/BitDefender malware test reviews on youtube recently too and none of them are truly 100% so ultimately whilst they are all in the 90% effective range, it boils down to what offers the least faff and personal preference. Defender has a lot of stuff built in that is very helpful like protected folder access that not even encryption malware can hijack... So there is that.

V F

V F

Soldato
What the hell... Did anyone know that? Never knew they incorporated that last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/rw5jdw/the_new_version_of_norton_360_installs_a_crypto/

"What is Norton Crypto?
Norton Crypto is a feature made available in Norton 360 which you can utilize for mining cryptocurrency when your PC is idle. Currently, Norton Crypto is limited to users with devices that meet the required system requirements.
"

They say it's not running...

"Will Norton 360 mine my device without my permission?
No. In addition to having a device that meets system requirements, you must also turn on Norton Crypto on your device. If you have turned on Norton Crypto, but you no longer want to use the feature, you can disable it through your Norton Crypto dashboard.
"

Soldato
I'm getting increasingly concerned with the amount of emailed malware and nasty software being sent to my work with headings like new order and outstanding invoice, I worry that one of them will open one of those "invoices" and cause issues. About 8 pc's running windows 10 and 11 now. Standard windows protection and maybe malwarebytes? Or something a bit more? Temped but avast with central control but treading the line between protection and going further than needed.

Soldato
I'm getting increasingly concerned with the amount of emailed malware and nasty software being sent to my work with headings like new order and outstanding invoice, I worry that one of them will open one of those "invoices" and cause issues. About 8 pc's running windows 10 and 11 now. Standard windows protection and maybe malwarebytes? Or something a bit more? Temped but avast with central control but treading the line between protection and going further than needed.

Is it your company? Or do you just work there? If the former, I'd suggest an afternoon (or at least an hour) of training is in order, if you're worried about phishing and spear phishing etc. Perhaps consider an outside red team consult. If you just work there, leave the anti-malware decisions to IT. If that's a decision / ability left to each individual employee (i.e. which AV to run) I'd have bigger concerns than being pwned from the outside.

Soldato
Its mine. They all know not to, I've done my work there but its just so prevalent now that I think I need to build in some more defence. All os's up to date, backups to cloud automatic, staff all "know" not to but as I say, its hitting the inbox's more and more and I want to just do what I can as a back stop without going ott. Only a small business.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hmm. I guess if you are not deploying some specific applications to monitor/intercept then I would check if you have turned on the Windows Ransomware protection?

Take a gander on this explanation as its better than what I can type in a sentence here.

Have you also got the workers machines on standard accounts to carry out their day to day stuff?

Soldato
Its mine. They all know not to, I've done my work there but its just so prevalent now that I think I need to build in some more defence. All os's up to date, backups to cloud automatic, staff all "know" not to but as I say, its hitting the inbox's more and more and I want to just do what I can as a back stop without going ott. Only a small business.

What's your business worth (rhetorically, not literally)? I'd be looking more toward the managed SentinelOne/Crowdstrike Falcon/bfore.ai type threat prevention suites rather than plonking Avast or something on the endpoints and hoping for the best. What's at your network edge? A proper BSD or Linux based router with IDS, or just a BT all in one router or similar? What's the workflow on the staff PCs? Does it have to be Windows, or will Ubuntu do the same job cheaper with a much reduced attack surface? Work out your threat model, and go from there. As I said, external consulting done right needn't break the bank and may save you money (and business) in the long run. An enthusiast's gaming forum isn't really the best place for this type of advice (with a nod to some of the other enterprisey folks on here).

Associate
Ever since Barclays stopped offering Kaspersky to customers, I have been using Windows defender with no issues and it seems to pick up most common viruses.

Soldato
I gave Windows Defender another try, my cpu temps yet again jumped by almost 20c higher at idle, went back to freebies like Avast/AVG/Avira etc issue went away, so staying with Avast for now. Defender at idle just gives me temps higher then most of my gaming temps with Avast etc, so something not right with it.

Back
Top Bottom