• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Not watched video on boost yet... But seems to me reading around that it reduces quality/res to improve speed? Smacks of an Nvidia move, and I am surprised to see AMD do this given they are always talking about quality.

Soldato
Not watched video on boost yet... But seems to me reading around that it reduces quality/res to improve speed? Smacks of an Nvidia move, and I am surprised to see AMD do this given they are always talking about quality.

It's a fine option to offer imo because it's not tied to needing to buy new hardware. That being said I wouldn't use it personally as it seems pointless with it being mouse-movement based and without a performance target, i.e. might as well just drop resolution in the first place.

Soldato
It's a fine option to offer imo because it's not tied to needing to buy new hardware. That being said I wouldn't use it personally as it seems pointless with it being mouse-movement based and without a performance target, i.e. might as well just drop resolution in the first place.

Dropping resolution would have you looking at a worse image all the time. What this is supposed to do is give you max detail when you need it and give you fps when turning when detail matters less. Could be a nice feature for me at 4k Vega64. Add in image sharpening I can probably get a good looking game and have high fps when needed most. It does sound like a decent addition.

Soldato
Dropping resolution would have you looking at a worse image all the time. What this is supposed to do is give you max detail when you need it and give you fps when turning when detail matters less. Could be a nice feature for me at 4k Vega64. Add in image sharpening I can probably get a good looking game and have high fps when needed most. It does sound like a decent addition.

It's not really like that, that's what the promise of it is, but in reality you're getting meagre performance gains (as you can see from the tests) & visible image quality drop >90% of the time. At that point I'd rather just have consistency of both IQ & FPS. For now it's not really an alternative to good in-game dynamic resolution scaling (ala Gears 5) but it's good that it's there for anyone looking for a simple performance increase of sorts, especially for casual users.

Speaking of V64 & 4K, which I am also in the same boat, I'm looking forward to testing integer scaling. I think that might end up being a bigger deal than this for us, and also why I'd rather just drop to 1080p if I want that performance so I can use the scaling as well. Hopefully it will work well, we'll see soon enough.

Soldato
It's not really like that, that's what the promise of it is, but in reality you're getting meagre performance gains (as you can see from the tests) & visible image quality drop >90% of the time. At that point I'd rather just have consistency of both IQ & FPS. For now it's not really an alternative to good in-game dynamic resolution scaling (ala Gears 5) but it's good that it's there for anyone looking for a simple performance increase of sorts, especially for casual users.

Speaking of V64 & 4K, which I am also in the same boat, I'm looking forward to testing integer scaling. I think that might end up being a bigger deal than this for us, and also why I'd rather just drop to 1080p if I want that performance so I can use the scaling as well. Hopefully it will work well, we'll see soon enough.

Yea get what you are saying. When i posted had not watched the video, read an article last night so more up to speed on it now. Always good to have more options but maybe something i won't really use much. If i did i would not want to drop lower than 1440p.

Yea integer scaling is also something that could benefit us. Again always good to have these kind of options, at 4k while Vega does a good job in some games that i play it's not quit got the grunt to run the settings i want in othera. Always knew i would have to make compromises but was not willing to pay out for Nvidia's high end. Sharpening in dx11 should now solve my fps in pretty much everything with the right amount of tweaking Res and sharpening strength.

Caporegime

At least with DLSS, the res doesn't get lower and lower, the faster you move your mouse :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Radeon Software Integer Scaling Tested - AMD puts its competitors to shame with widespread hardware support. @Radeon @AMD_UK

https://t.co/u79Cq0kCEc https://t.co/Y9ZIx4z02Y

Conclusion

Integer Scaling is an incredibly useful feature for a lot of gamers, especially for those who play classic PC titles. However, its usage can also extend to laptop users who have 4K screens. Most gaming laptops aren't ready for 4K gaming, making a 4x4 Integer Scaled 1080p or a 3x3 Integer Scaled 720p great options for gaming laptops. This is also useful for users of 4K screens for productivity applications, at it can also enable low-resolution gaming on the side without display scaling artefacts or blur.

Below is an image from Westwood's first Command and Conquer game, which showcases how Integer Scaling delivers the raw, chunky pixel look of classic games, eliminating the blur that's present with non-integer scaling methods. Integer scaling makes these games a lot more playable by making them appear sharp, which will help prevent eyestrain during long playing sessions.

With Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition, AMD has delivered Integer Scaling to graphics cards that date back as far as 2011, which is something that makes Nvidia feature exclusivity to Turing and Intel's feature exclusivity to selected 10th Generation CPUs (Ice Lake CPUs with Gen 11 graphics) appear greedy. AMD's offering eight years of hardware support here, showcasing their willingness to support their hardware over the long term.

Back
Top Bottom