• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
Edited: ^^^^ i misread the overall score, the GPU score in that review is actually 8,855, i'm scoring 7% higher than that.

Mine isn't a great example of an AIB one, i'm sure Reference ones are running the same clocks at least. Which makes me wonder if drivers since that review have actually improved by about <10%

Associate
Hi, was thinking of upgrading - how are people finding the drivers now - have AMD more or less resolved the black screen + 100% fan crashing issues?

Associate
This driver is dodgy as. I too see about 1 fps better performance in Borderlands but at the expense of temps which are 5C hotter (hotspot is hitting 94C) and fan is screaming at nearly 2300rpm where as was about 1940 before with the same fan curve. Looks like clock speeds have risen which would explain the performance and temp increases. Really not happy with this and backing this garbage out right now. Such high hopes.... dashed again

Edit: So seems the 96C hotspot was an anomalous spike as further testing revealed it to consistently peak at 85C. Reverting back to 20.5.1 yielded similar temps and fan speed so I'm not sure when it last ran at 1900rpm under full load on this OC - maybe that was only in a better optimised game than BL3. So am back on 20.7.1 with the max fan dropped from 60% to 55% which is keeping rpm under 1900 but with a temp penalty of +3C. Performance is on par but time will tell how stable it is and if the temp spikes reoccur and cause problems

Edit2: Zero fan option is broken again when using advanced control. Had to edit in the XML. FFS

Last edited:
Associate
Same here but not all the time it seems to be 50/50, in F1 2019 during a interview I've found this to heat up my card for some reason compared to on track action, on the 2.4.1 drivers I get about 90-94c hot-spot/junction temp, with these 2.7.1 it 50/50 that I'll get 97-100c.

Been testing for the last few days swapping between drivers and not once on the 2.4.1 have I seen it go over 94c, and the increase in temp also brings a increase in fan speed and noise obviously, strange (not the fan speed the higher hot-spot/junction temps).

Associate
If I had a 5700xt i'd remove the plastic shroud and fans and cable tie 120mm fans to the heatsink

Bit extreme for me that, but hoping once my refund comes for a faulty corsair psu bought from elsewhere, I'll get the Lian-li lancool 2 mesh and put too 120mm fans on the shroud it should help I know been under 100c most of the times isn't to bad but ever little helps and I'll feel better too.

Most non navi cards don't report the hot-spot/junction temp so I'm led to believe, so we don't really know how other cards perform in that regard, maybe other cards get just has hot.

If anyone knows about any test that have been done with other cards on hot-spot/junction temps it would make for some good reading/watching just to compare.

C64

C64

Soldato
Bit extreme for me that, but hoping once my refund comes for a faulty corsair psu bought from elsewhere, I'll get the Lian-li lancool 2 mesh and put too 120mm fans on the shroud it should help I know been under 100c most of the times isn't to bad but ever little helps and I'll feel better too.

Most non navi cards don't report the hot-spot/junction temp so I'm led to believe, so we don't really know how other cards perform in that regard, maybe other cards get just has hot.

If anyone knows about any test that have been done with other cards on hot-spot/junction temps it would make for some good reading/watching just to compare.
well if its a keeper may as well not like you can damage it i bet 2x 120mm cable tied to the heatsink gets that scary hotspot down to 70's 80's
I'm waiting on a 5700xt deal myself at the moment for £300 or less but will definitely do the fan thing have my fans ready

this is one thing i've noticed in these new gpus why are all the fans so small and small bladed ? small = noise whimpy fan blades = noise

Back
Top Bottom