• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The AMD RDNA 4 Rumour Mill ***

Soldato
Like it's been clear for years now, they're not doing anything other than incremental upgrades on RDNA 2 until they need to do a major overhaul -> for next-gen consoles. So don't expect anything worth seeing until 2026+ at at the earliest. If you care about RT, VR, or AA quality (incl upscaling) - let alone anything not gaming related -, you simply buy Nvidia.

G J

G J

Associate
Mid range could mean anything at this stage as the 4070 price aside would've been a good upgrade had they named it a 4060 and not moved it up a tier or so.

The 4060 also would have got a better reception had they kept it a 4050 and priced it accordingly.

Soldato
I dont get the hype over these two cards. Historically, hasn't it pretty normal to get the higher end performance for a cheaper price in the next gen, especially 2 years later. If it was released soon, then it would be interesting, but Blackwell will be releasing around that time and the 5070 will probably match or beat the 8800 XT for similar price.

Associate
I dont get the hype over these two cards. Historically, hasn't it pretty normal to get the higher end performance for a cheaper price in the next gen, especially 2 years later. If it was released soon, then it would be interesting, but Blackwell will be releasing around that time and the 5070 will probably match or beat the 8800 XT for similar price.
Which gpu do you currently have? 7800xt and 7900xt have brought high tier performance to the masses.

Soldato
I always see MLID getting a lot of heat for his rumors, I'm not sure what people are expecting? It's rumor and speculation, if you want facts wait for reviews.

Approx 30% is one tier of performance so a pretty good increase for the £500 level. Also, any significant improvement to raytracing is good, narrowing this gap will increase competition.

RDNA 4 seems incremental, but that's not a bad thing considering NVIDIA is not predicted to do anything else this year (other than a 5090 for a record price).

Do you watch his videos? MLID gets heat because everytime his rumours are wrong, he deletes his videos and denies the rumour he posted even existed, and when his rumour is right he spends 10 minutes on the next video claiming he is the rumour jesus

And you have to ask why people despise him?

Additionally MLID makes unsubstantiated and bizarre claims about video games, game engines, drivers and other technical aspects of game and GPU software development that is so far left field, his guests on his podcasts have at time even rolled eyes at him and told him he doesn't know what he's talking about, such as the time he had an unreal engine 5 developer on his podcast and proceeded to make claims about the engine that the developer flat out denied and had to explain to him how it actually works, but it's one thing to ask questions, it's another to speak as if you know what you are talking about, which is what MLID does. And I also happen to know why MLID frequently makes mistakes when trying to talk about anything more complicated than how many cores a GPU has, and it's because prior to starting his YouTube channel, his only work experience was working in a factory of the company that makes car parts and he was only there for a short time

Last edited:
Soldato
Which gpu do you currently have? 7800xt and 7900xt have brought high tier performance to the masses.

7800XT brought the same performance as the 6800XT for less money as it should have done being a new generation. The 8800XT is said to do the same again which i would expect.

I've got a 4090.

Caporegime
OP
7800XT brought the same performance as the 6800XT for less money as it should have done being a new generation. The 8800XT is said to do the same again which i would expect.

I've got a 4090.

Its actually a replacement for the RX 6800, it was $580 MSRP, the 7800 XT is $500 and 20% faster.

Its about a 35% cost per frame improvement, its not bad. Its a good card to boot, i really like mine.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

7800 XT: 60 CU's, 2.43Ghz, 256Bit, 624 GB/s, 263 watts, $499

8700 XT: 56 CU's, 3.05Ghz, 256Bit, 640 GB/s, 190 watts. $399
8800 XT: 64 CU's, 3.20Ghz, 256Bit, 768 GB/s, 225 Watts. $499

All built on TSMC 4NP, which i believe is the same as current Nvidia 4000 series.

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume 8800xt is the top of the line for rdna4?

Ok prices but disappointing performance, nevertheless it will sell if that rumour is true, amd is shifting the whole stack down one after they shifted up previously and cutting off the 900 series, so RDNA4 beings 7900xt performance at $499 in the form of the 8800xt, where as the 7900xt currently sells for $650 so a good $150 discount

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it will still sell well and also give Intel a big headache

And they could give Nvidia a headache as well if they launch early, since it's on 4nm they should be able to launch soon if they want to, where as Nvidia wants 3nm so they have to wait for yields and supply to mature

Last edited:
Associate
Do you watch his videos? MLID gets heat because everytime his rumours are wrong, he deletes his videos and denies the rumour he posted even existed, and when his rumour is right he spends 10 minutes on the next video claiming he is the rumour jesus

And you have to ask why people despise him?

Additionally MLID makes unsubstantiated and bizarre claims about video games, game engines, drivers and other technical aspects of game and GPU software development that is so far left field, his guests on his podcasts have at time even rolled eyes at him and told him he doesn't know what he's talking about, such as the time he had an unreal engine 5 developer on his podcast and proceeded to make claims about the engine that the developer flat out denied and had to explain to him how it actually works, but it's one thing to ask questions, it's another to speak as if you know what you are talking about, which is what MLID does. And I also happen to know why MLID frequently makes mistakes when trying to talk about anything more complicated than how many cores a GPU has, and it's because prior to starting his YouTube channel, his only work experience was working in a factory of the company that makes car parts and he was only there for a short time
I didn't know all that, I just recently watched some of his videos.

I still don't think it's that deep, if MLID is so depised, there are plenty of other rumor channels and websites. Why not quote them instead?

Caporegime
OP
I think it will still sell well and also give Intel a big headache

And they could give Nvidia a headache as well if they launch early, since it's on 4nm they should be able to launch soon if they want to, where as Nvidia wants 3nm so they have to wait for yields and supply to mature

Yeah Intel are selling today what is essentially an RTX 2080, at best.

At £270 for the A770 its already too much money for that and if Intel don't put out a GPU that is at least competitive with this generation of GPU's soon it could be a problem for their dGPU competitive hopes because we will probably see another new generation from AMD at least if not also Nvidia long before this year is out.

Associate
I'm going to hold on to my 6700XT until at least next Autumn now, and I'm not upgrading until I can get 2x the performance for £500 and 20GB VRAM (which is basically a 7900XT) - which at the moment is £700. 7800XT just isn't worth it, in days gone by I'd have been happy with a 50% increase but in days gone by prices were also sensible.

Maybe RDNA 4 will bring a card to tickle my ****sack.

Associate
I'm going to hold on to my 6700XT until at least next Autumn now, and I'm not upgrading until I can get 2x the performance for £500 and 20GB VRAM (which is basically a 7900XT) - which at the moment is £700. 7800XT just isn't worth it, in days gone by I'd have been happy with a 50% increase but in days gone by prices were also sensible.

Maybe RDNA 4 will bring a card to tickle my ****sack.
I’m sure the 7900 Golden rabbit edition can do some tickling. :p

Associate
Rumour is AMD will be bowing out of the high end with its next generation GPU's, not for the first time, RX 480, RX 5700XT.

Although i find MLID take on a lot of things annoying he is the primary rumour source and not always wrong, i do find that ^^^^ rumour credible.
I don't know what AMD's thinking is here but if they want the graphics section of their business to remain profitable they can't go spaffing huge amounts of money on R&D that they are never going to get back with a 15% market share.

Depends on markets, amd has 100% in essence with consols.
some markets amd sells 50% of cards.

rdna4 we dont know much yet how as amd may spill stuff to find sources again...of leaks.
could also be due to amd is going chiplet so sizes of die and combos may indicate one thing in release something else.

Back
Top Bottom