The Batman (Matt Reeves)

Soldato
Yet another soft reboot, but unlike his predecessor Zach Snyder, I've actually enjoyed a lot of Matt Reeves' work. This is scheduled for a 2021 release, so still a long ways off, but there's news this morning that Robert Pattinson is the front runner to don the cowl. A decent choice I reckon - he's shown that he has a lot more strings to his bow since Twilight, and has been hired by directors such as Cronenberg, Nolan, and Herzog.

I'm not sure what exactly they can do with Batman though, unless they maybe take one of the better unique comic arcs and film that. Definitely don't want to see another generic hero origin movie.

Soldato
OP
That they're ticking all the right boxes. Only box I can see that they've ticked is, it's definitely batman.

Key words were "so far", as in we don't have a lot to go on. But what we can see/hear is the casting, choice of director, design choice for the suit, first impressions of the score etc. And while I'm still very sceptical and fully expect them to mess it up, I don't think they've done it yet.

Soldato
OP
Whats a teaser, looks awesome. So nice to hear they are going for a noir detective sorta vibe.

Details from the panel stolen from Reddit

• Batman will be investigating a series of murders that tie in and explore the wide spread and deep rooted corruption that runs throughout Gotham City
• The Batman takes place during Batman’s second year, while his upcoming HBO series about the Gotham PD will be set during his first year.
• This film will be starting points for Riddler, Catwoman, and “Ozzie, who doesn’t like to be called the Penguin”
• All the actors had input on the design of their costumes, but it is insinuated they are all meant Amor appear in beta phases (all their clothing/equipment is function driven.
• The Gotham PD series will continue to explore the themes of wide scale corruption in Gotham, and will be focused on a cop “battling for his soul”.
• Only 25%- 30% of the film has been filmed
• Paul Dano is playing “a version of the Riddler” that is unlike what fans are used to.
• Primary influences were Chinatown, Taxi Driver, and films from the 70s that explored corruption.

Good info, thanks!

Colin Farrell was unrecognisable in the trailer (as Ozzie)!

Soldato
OP
Where are people getting emo Bruce from? He's wearing the eye make-up that every Batman since Keaton has worn, except the makers of this film aren't pretending that he doesn't. That is, it doesn't magically disappeared when he takes off the cowl.

Soldato
OP
I'd rather film makers not be shackled by the elitism, prejudice, or maybe just plain old shortsightedness of the original creators, or by the backwards social views that existed in the time it was written. And surely implanting a completely new character is worse than changing an existing character's skin colour... from a literary purist's point of view?

Back
Top Bottom