The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

Soldato
I've heard people mention about changing gamma to 2.2 or anything with a point in it. Mine can't be changed that way, it's either 1,2,3,4,5. Oh, and I have definately checked that's the gamma I'm looking at and not the sharpness.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand that. Could you take a shot of the menu with a camera? Also when and where was your panel manufactured (if it's not too much trouble). The easiest way is probably to check the label at the back for this information.

Soldato
I don't understand that. Could you take a shot of the menu with a camera? Also when and where was your panel manufactured (if it's not too much trouble). The easiest way is probably to check the label at the back for this information.

I'll get one tonight, it's not the first time I've heard of people saying the same thing.

Associate
however, if you are moving your mouse pointer and you are seeing mouse trails (which is what that user reported), I would say something is definitely wrong and cannot be ignored.

The mouse pointer always shows ghosting, i have never EVER seen a TFT panel that doesn't ghost on the mouse pointer, and that includes the 1ms 27" panel which a friend has and the BEnQ XLsomething-or-other which was on sale in store recently.
Only things that don't show mouse ghosting are FED and CRT, if you're that worried about ghosting you wouldn't be getting an LCD monitor.

Associate
Woohoo!! I bought this monitor for a 129 euros because it was the last one on the shop. Average price for EW2420 in Finland is somewhere around 240-280 euros so I am quite glad.

First impression: Damn, I can't believe how grey and dim my laptop monitor looks next to this :D

I still have to wait for weekend to get the most out of this monitor. It's now connected with VGA to laptop that supports only 1280x800 resolution. I guess I should wait for my new pc before calibrating this thing?

Also I'd like to know what's the function of the usb input on the monitor?

Soldato
First impression: Damn, I can't believe how grey and dim my laptop monitor looks next to this :D

If you are used to a laptop monitor, you will probably be very happy with this monitor, even if it isn't perfect.

I think the people who have had problems with this monitor are those who are used to decent monitors. Once you get used to good monitors, it is very difficult to "downgrade" to another monitor, while paying for the privilege. I found this out to my cost, when I bought the DELL U2311H.

Soldato
The mouse pointer always shows ghosting,....

In the strictest sense of the word, you are 100% right.

However, there is a word called, "acceptable". What is acceptable?

By looking at the video posted, the ghosting was horrific. Shocking, in fact. Others pointed out that the ghosting was because the overdrive function had not been set to 'on'. The owner of that monitor stated that he had set the function to 'on'.

If only he had not taken that video down, you would've seen just how bad the ghosting was. He didn't put a video about the mouse showing ghosting, but reported that the monitor was showing serious ghosting. Judging by the video he posted, this was not hard to believe.

I think PCM2 did see that video and stated that his monitor was not showing such bad ghosting. It could therefore be put down to a defective unit and once again shows just how poor the QC is on this monitor.

Soldato
OP
Yes I had seen the video. In my post here I stated some specific conditions under which quite severe ghosting can plague a VA panel monitor. Overdrive is the use of high voltage to speed up certain pixel transitions and is used in most modern entertainment monitors to varying extents - it is referred to by BenQ as AMA (Advanced Motion Acceleration). The associated trailing is generally less obtrusive as the traling appears a light blend between the background and foreground colour. 'Black ghosting' is very palpable and very off-putting and it is something that manifests itself frequently on non-overdriven VA panels (such as the F2380) as 'smoke like trails'. The EW2420, however, should rarely suffer from this and I've never seen it to the extent that was seen on the video. It would lead me to believe that the overdrive was somehow 'faulty' on the monitor and that it didn't kick in at all when it should have. I have seen some fairly short 'smoke light trails' in certain conditions but this is explained in the review.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have my AMA set to on and can clearly see two pointers on the OCUK forums. The dark royal blue part on the site is fine, but if I scroll over the blue on the thread headings (Hardware > Monitors > Reply to Thread) I can see very noticeable ghosting.

I just thought is was normal :confused:

Soldato
OP
It is normal for a VA panel. This was explained in my previous post :). In the video though it looked like a super-seperated trail with several iterations of the mouse cursor at once. Sometimes videos can exagerate things but I judge from the individuals reaction that the trailing was abnormal for an EW2420.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is normal for a VA panel. This was explained in my previous post :). In the video though it looked like a super-seperated trail with several iterations of the mouse cursor at once.

ah ok, have to say you are the most dedicated person on these forums I know. You reply any time of the day in like 2 minutes :eek::cool:

Soldato
So basically the guy had 'display pointer trails' turned on in the windows control panel?

LOL no.

What he showed was an in-game session. Basically, he was focussed on a dragon like creature and he was moving the screen around. Every time he moved the screen, there was severe ghosting, to a level I have never before witnessed.

He stated that he had AMA turned on, in that video. He also said that on the desktop, when moving the mouse around, he was experiencing something which was in-line with the in-game video he had posted.

You had to see it to believe it. I was dithering on whether to buy the Benq or the DELL (Dell was about £15 more expensive). After seeing that video and all the complaints about the QC of this monitor, my decision was made. The DELL was the safe bet.

Soldato
OP
Associate
Is there any improvement in QC for the BL2400PT?
i'd assume that due to calling it the business model they would at least try to make the QC better, but no one seems to want to review it :(

Soldato
OP
It uses the same AU Optronics AMVA panel and that seems to be where most of the problems stem from. The new EW2430 and EW2430V hopefully use a revised panel, though.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the function of the usb-cable and the usb-inputs on the monitor?
It's a USB hub, you connect the cable to the monitor via the USB Uplink then the other end to a spare USB port on your PC. Now you basically have extra USB ports that are within reach, on the monitor itself.

I don't own the monitor so I don't know exactly how it works, but on some monitors (like my U2311H) if you turn off your monitor, the USB ports stop working too. Also on other monitors you may see some backlight flickering if you're drawing a lot of power from a USB on the monitor.

Associate
Greetings

I'd like to vent my experiences with Benq 2400PT display. I currently have Benq G2420HD (TN) and a "vintage" Eizo S1910 (PVA). The main reason why I wanted a new display was the supposedly higher contrast ratio and better black levels which all reviews have been raving about. I watch a lot in a dark environment (movies & gaming) so the backlight bleeding is a major factor that bothers me.

When I turned this new 2400PT on, my first impression was WOW, what a horrible blue glow! There was not a slightest hint of those "Inky blacks" that has been often mentioned.

Of course the default settings were too bright, so I lowered the brightness down to 10 to match it what I'm having with my Eizo. Still a distinguishable blue glow. It can be seen even in a daylight with black backgrounds. Then I compared in a dark room side by side with my Eizo. It appears that the "black" (=blue) level of 2400PT is only marginally lower than Eizo. The problem with 2400PT's backlight is that it's intensity varies quite dramatically with your head position. It looks quite dark straight where you are looking at, but shines badly around. This feature makes it feel like a TN panel.

Taking this in account, This display doesn't feel like contrast ratio of 3000:1. According to Prad.de, Eizo 1910 can produce a contrast ratio of 1400:1 (140cdm2/0.1cdm2, 1000:1 stated in the specs). Judging by eye only, I can't see 2400PT producing much higher contrast than Eizo. Actually it feels much worse due to the above mentioned backlight variation with viewing angle.

I understand that there might be quality variations between the units. But I doubt another unit would make much difference?

Another issue is the color (in)accuracy. It's even worse than Benq G2420HD (TN panel). Something I didn't expect. Blue shades look completely off. Shades of aquamarine turns out to be more like violet or deep blue with 2400PT. Too bad there is no way I can manually correct it as I don't own any hardware calibrator. This was the reason I had to send this unit back for refund.

I wonder if it's just me expecting too much or what..?
Just my experience. Sorry for a long and not so enthusiastic post, but I guess I'm feeling disappointed. It's year 2011 and still no mach for 6 years old Eizo.
cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom