The BenQ EW2420: Too good to be true?

Soldato
OP
Hope to have it finished by the end of this week. If not then early next week. If all EW2430s were this good (unfortunately this may be a little too optimistic) then it would be an easy monitor to recommend for the price. It has even surprised me in a good way when it comes to games testing as the new AMA premium mode seems to make things a little more comfortable on games such as Bad Company 2.... Well, as long as you don't hop on the ATV ;).

Associate
1080 pixels : great for a moviescreen and okay for everyday tasks or even okay for photoshop ; you have the 1920 pixels horizontal so menu's can be placed left er right of where you are working on. I use a 19 inch monitor now, it has 1024 pixels vertical so going to 27 inch with 1920x1080 pix is a step forward. Its great to place a ~27" monitor on the table in the living room , connect a media player and : voila there you are: Movie time. Placed like this a screen with this size has the same viewing size as my projector screen on the wall wich is 2 meters in diagonal(!).

1200 pixels is great for designing and serious work on a pc , but really the 1920 pixels in horizontal already give enough room for this.

Another point , quite often people are not happy with 24 inch widescreen monitors at 1080 or 1200 pix , even with 1080 pix vertical the reading of text is already very difficult. Besides a 24" widescreen screen has 1 cm less height then my 19 inch screen!! So more then 1080 pixels on a 24 inch screen is often not handy.

So 1080 pixels on 27 inch screen? very welcome to me!
everything is easy readable and movies are great to watch.

Sure if you only use your monitor for serious design stuff (photoshop, qbase etc) and want more resolution, get a 27" Dell. simple . if you have the money

For people like me working on this Benq screen is close to ideal (comming from 19 inch 1280x1024). The video resolution 1920 x 1080 this Big Benq offers is a great plus when you want to use it with media (man who doesnt) .

Soldato
I have both a 1920x1200 screen and a 1920x1080 screen.
By far and away the extra vertical resolution is the better option. Obviously the 1200p screen cost more, but it's worth it. (I am a programmer, so screen real estate is important).

For a 27" screen, the higher resolution is what makes it worth paying more for. Otherwise, I would much rather get a cheaper/smaller 1080p 23/24" monitor.

I must say that if I were not a programmer, then I would not need the extra resolution.

I think I saw a deal not long ago for a 1440p, 27" screen for around £300. I would've bought it, if I were looking for a 23"+ monitor.

With regards to the Benq 27" monitor, it should be commercially available in August, so I guess we must wait and see what price it sells at. There are other 27" monitors (with higher resolutions), already available though - if you are desperate to buy one.

Associate
I understand your point of view, Sunama. The preferred resolution seems to depend on what kind of work the monitor is used for. Perhaps more resolution can do fine on a 24"+ monitor as long as the viewing size is 16:9 (and not 16:10) . So then watching a movie on a prof. monitor is a great option.
I never watched a full hd signal on a monitor with ~2500x1400 pix and am a bit worried the upscaling will not benefit the quality of the video signal.
I do quite a lot of graphic design too , soo am not decided yet on the benq.

@PCM2: Looking forward to your review of the 24" Benq! Thats why i am here in the first place haha

(sorry i am from holland, so my english isnt great)

Soldato
The main problem that I have with a 1080p 27" monitor is that I am paying a lot of money for the extra 3", yet, I am not getting the benefit of extra screen real estate.

When there are other monitors out there that are 27" in size AND offer ultra high resolutions, why would I spend the same money on a 27" monitor with lower resolution?

Associate
Well if the HD video quality is also great on an ultra resolution 27" monitor i wouldnt hesitate to take it. On the other hand comming from 1280x1024 pix, 1920 x 1080 is already a real win/win situation for me: great resolution (dont miss any extra vertical res) and native full HD , as i am a movie freak. I understand you already work widescreen and then i understand 1080p is a station you leave behind you, Sunama.

Associate
Thanks for the link Sunama.

What i need is:

Size 24"/27" .
MVA tecnology : best for photoshop / watching movies.
LED backlight : CCFL irritates my eyes /nervous system. 1 hour use = max alas.
HDMI + DVI : need those both

I favor the BenQ EW2430(v). The v-version even more; it has component connections.

Soldato
Its funny that you state that a VA panel is good for photoshop. I also agree with this. I find that VA panels offer the most richest colours.
My IPS monitor has very bland colours - good for office work, where most of the screen is white, with black text, but when displaying images, I like the rich colours offered by the VA panel (in my bedroom).

Other people feel that IPS monitors offer the most true colour reproduction.

Associate
Got a new Benq E2420

002-50

I just bought the Benq E2420 and I'm pretty surprised how good this monitor is once it's been calibrated . Out of the box it was a bit too green in colour.
Not sure if I have calibrated it properly but I left the monitor settings in the default settings (Standard Mode) as well as brightness and contrast controls then I ran the Huey Pro Calibration. This took all the green tinge out of the monitor. The colour looks correct now but not near as vivid as my previous Dell SP2309W TN Monitor but I think it is because the colour in fact is more exact,
One thing that is good is that viewing off axis is better the monitor doesn't go dark like the Dell

Associate
Is this the E2420 OR EW2420?
Sorry it's the EW 2420 build date is Dec 2010 and the Gamma Scale is different it's goes from 1 to 5. Plus I'm not sure when I calibrate the monitor should I leave the default brightness at 100 and contrast set at 50.
There's also a sharpness control not sure what to do with this setting.
I think the Huey Pro adjust the Gamma itself as you have the option to set it and the colour temp in the final menu setup.

Associate
I purchased the EW2420 3 weeks ago from OCUKand it's awful.
The blurring will give you a headache.
I have AMA on.
I have contacted OCUK to exchange for another make and model.
Worst monitor I've ever owned.
Can anyone recommend a monitor that doesn't blur like this one?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Since he mentioned that AMA is on, explicitly, I think it is safe to assume he is talking about trailing during motion. Sounds as if it could have been an impulsive or poorly researched purchase - I didn't see one question on here from Barso about monitors before he bought it. Or on my website for that matter.

@ Barso

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression from some of the posts I made regarding the monitor because aside from the responsiveness it was a very pleasing monitor for the money. Whichever way you cut it the EW2420 has some of the lowest pixel response times you'll find on a modern monitor and this should be readily apparent from this thread and reviews of the monitor and other VA panel monitors. You can't always assess how troublesome you will find it without seeing it first hand, I do appreciate that. I am not sure how OcUK will handle a return for a non-faulty product after 3 weeks. Really you should act within the first week and voice your dissatisfaction so you are covered by DSR but I hope you get this resolved.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, if gaming is his main activity, he should go with a TN monitor as he seems affected a lot by blurring. I noticed that the Benq TN monitors get some good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom