The best Tennis game ever?

Associate
It was a VERY special time indeed, like the beginning of 2001 Space Odyssey! I feel EXACTLY the same about Super Tennis, but will be trying some of these recommendations out.

Remember the boss in Super Tennis, he had only one weakness that I could find. :)

Happy days indeed. I've got a CRT TV with just my SNES and Megadrive setup on it, and it ain't going nowhere!

Especially when you remember Super Castlevania, Zelda, Pilotwings, Contra and Actraiser weren't that far behind. One of the better launch lineups.

Unfortunately I've long since sold my SNES so have only played the game occasionally on emulation since. I can't remember playing a boss, but remember there was always a player you'd end up contesting the finals against. I can remember the insane passwords to continue, the credits screen and various other bits like that change sides music (in my head now lol)

I think I worded it slightly wrong though. Its not that it's the best game to have captured tennis, but probably the best at getting the controls so right for the game it was. Such a great use of all those buttons on the controller.

Man of Honour
Most older tennis games are a bit too formulaic for my liking, i.e. the points play out too similarly (in other words there is usually a tactic you can persistently deploy). Pete Sampras gets mentioned a lot in this thread, I have '96(?) on the Megadrive and as I recall once you 'solve' it, it becomes quite boring.

Multiplayer obviously a bit different. I still remember playing Super Tennis on the SNES and having great fun musta been over 20 years ago now.

I quite enjoyed Wii Sports tennis (although never quite figured out how to serve reliably), might have to see if I can pick up a cheap game that works well with motion plus?

Associate
They didn't update Tennis is Wii Sports Resorts which was a massive shame. I think Grand Slam Tennis is the way to go on Wii if you want something more developed.

Soldato
OP
Especially when you remember Super Castlevania, Zelda, Pilotwings, Contra and Actraiser weren't that far behind. One of the better launch lineups.

Unfortunately I've long since sold my SNES so have only played the game occasionally on emulation since. I can't remember playing a boss, but remember there was always a player you'd end up contesting the finals against. I can remember the insane passwords to continue, the credits screen and various other bits like that change sides music (in my head now lol)

I think I worded it slightly wrong though. Its not that it's the best game to have captured tennis, but probably the best at getting the controls so right for the game it was. Such a great use of all those buttons on the controller.

Amazing lineups for both the SNES and Megadrive. I think you worded it fine actually, Super Tennis makes you feel like you are a top tennis player, it's amazing really. Tried Everyday Golf, the gameplay is okay but it's night and day compared to Super Tennis.

Waiting for Sampras and Super Smash Tennis now, high hopes, but mainly for single player as as far as 2 player vs or co-op goes, nothing CAN beat Super Tennis, it just can't be done, maybe a game will be its equal, I'll see.

It was like playing in Wimbledon yesterday.

Virtua Tennis is a class 1 player tennis game, so addictive and just fun, awesome title. I've got the Vita version now, haven't got my Dreamcast setup, but I do have my PS3 setup... hmmm... there's an idea :)

Soldato
OP
Most older tennis games are a bit too formulaic for my liking, i.e. the points play out too similarly (in other words there is usually a tactic you can persistently deploy). Pete Sampras gets mentioned a lot in this thread, I have '96(?) on the Megadrive and as I recall once you 'solve' it, it becomes quite boring.

Multiplayer obviously a bit different. I still remember playing Super Tennis on the SNES and having great fun musta been over 20 years ago now.

I quite enjoyed Wii Sports tennis (although never quite figured out how to serve reliably), might have to see if I can pick up a cheap game that works well with motion plus?

Yeah, Virtua Tennis is perhaps the best single player Tennis game available, I like the depth, the rackets etc. and mini games are great, it's also like a RPG. Fantastic game. Not a bad version released I don't think?

Soldato
OP
If there's any PC gamers viewing the thread, I've just discovered a potential classic, Tennis Elbow 2013, Not sure if it's worth £19 (100MB) so stuck it on my wishlist. Will defo get it, looks like it plays like Super Tennis but maybe lacks the character, will see eventually.

Soldato
Grand Slam(which isn't supposed to be perfect, but is good apparently).

It is.

The only problem with it, the calibration has a tendency to flip every so often, and back/forehand need to be fair exact. When it does work, and you're hitting in good motion, it's top dollar.

Never played the sequel on the 360/ps3 (Kinect/move) wonder if they improved on it, they had a great start on the wii

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well got Sampras '96 for the Megadrive today and have had a chance to play it. It is the worst tennis game I can remember playing, it is absolutely awful. Now I do have the original Sampras Tennis coming also so maybe that is the classic some people mentioned I will see.

So Far, Super Tennis is the best simulation of Tennis I have played. Virtua Tennis 2nd.

C64

C64

Soldato
#1 Super tennis
#2 virtua tennis
#3 top spin
#4 Roland Garros 2001(pc)
#5 Grand slam tennis 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom