The bodily changes of getting older

Soldato
To the few posters saying "I'm the fittest I've ever been" even though you're older - it's more likely you have changed your lifestyle and taken up fitness/eating healthier.

If you had done that in your 20s/30s you would have been fitter back then than you are now.

Well yes, I'd be amazed if anyone is trying to claim you actually get fitter as you get older?!

Soldato
Who do you use? The bodybuilding community swear by medi checks for their “TRT” analysis.

I used numan.com to check my testosterone levels a few months back and they were very efficient, and even sent a second test for free because one of the results was unreadable.

- losing hair where it should be (on my head)
- growing hair where it shouldn't be (nose and ears)
- getting even fatter
- cataracts!

I have said this on OcUK/GD a few times already - to those who haven't yet turned 40, DO NOT turn 40. It ain't what it's cracked up to be. It is gash.

Man of Honour
- getting even fatter
- cataracts!

I have said this on OcUK/GD a few times already - to those who haven't yet turned 40, DO NOT turn 40. It ain't what it's cracked up to be. It is gash.

Not going to lie, mid 30s was probably best time. However 40s seem to give you a little more gravitas and definitely a decent amount of life experience to fall back on.

Soldato
40's... I actually started to have thoughts like... huh... actually it is kinda nice to own my own house and own a 40k sports car.

I don't like:
finally starting to go gray
Despite my best efforts gum's receeding slowly.
Random hairs....
I don't have bad knees, but if I knock one, it can swell up.
Ever present back pain. The other day I bent over and it just went for the first time. Thankfully having good health insurance because of my job, I was straight in to the Chiropractor.
Beer makes me tired quick and grumpy, even one. Much prefer wine because of this.
Weight... I never really put on weight much before. Now I have a proper belly on the go. due to the above back thing... I'll be getting rid soon though hopefully lol.

Soldato
eyesight wrt to being able to shave w/o glasses, back pain sometimes, but you learn to listen to your body.

(pretext) liam galager @50 - I don't want a hip replacement it'll be the beginning of the slippery slope, I'll put up with the pain/articulation -
Rage Rage against the dying of the light

Associate
I'm 43 now, since i turned 40, its been a rapid decline.

latest thing is tinitus... its as if someone flicked a switch a couple of months ago... its driving me absolutely mad. I'm surprised to see this mentioned so much in this thread.
Arthritis in my thumb and hand, which is now painful most of the time.
I "had a fall" (as i put it for comedic value) a while a go and proper twisted my ankle.. its still causing me grief.
Hair is still good, but i too have increased ear hair... no idea why we need this.
Sex drive is fine, sadly the wife isnt interested in the slightest.
My kids are 4 and 7, and i just cant keep up. they arent the "watch tv all day" types, if we get 20 mins of TV watching from them we''ve done well. They need constant attention. it wears me down.
Getting fatter, because i'm miserable and i eat crap to feel better... but this isnt really an age thing.
Need to get some exercise and lose weight/eat better, but i dont have enough time to do the things i want as it is, so its a hard sell really.
Ive had enough really

Soldato
35 here and already bald so no concerns there. Have noticed some grey coming through in my beard too!

As others have said, i came to fitness late, so probably in the best shape of my life, which makes me a little gutted thinking how much better life could've been had i got into things earlier!

Soldato
43 now and generally in good health. Only issue I've got is that my complexion has got worse over the last year. I think wearing a mask hasn't been good for my skin.

That an my knee. I tore my ACL in my 20's but I still play football a couple of times a week. I keep getting knocks on it and it's really not happy with the continual abuse. Had to resort to an articulated support this week to try to keep it straight. But I don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep playing at a competitive level. :(

Oh yer, and my right elbow will never go fully straight again after falling off my scooter at speed a couple of years ago. That one's not age though, just mileage.

Soldato

latest thing is tinitus... its as if someone flicked a switch a couple of months ago... its driving me absolutely mad. I'm surprised to see this mentioned so much in this thread.
I "had a fall" (as i put it for comedic value) a while a go and proper twisted my ankle.. its still causing me grief.
Hair is still good, but i too have increased ear hair... no idea why we need this.
My kids are 4 and 7, and i just cant keep up. they arent the "watch tv all day" types, if we get 20 mins of TV watching from them we''ve done well. They need constant attention. it wears me down.
Getting fatter, because i'm miserable and i eat crap to feel better... but this isnt really an age thing.
Need to get some exercise and lose weight/eat better, but i dont have enough time to do the things i want as it is, so its a hard sell really.
Ive had enough really

i’m 33 and have had tinnitus for about 6 years, some days barely audible, other days about 4 or 5/10

Man of Honour
How the age demographic at OcUK has changed throughout the years :D

2006 - Good luck in exams, exams and exam results.
2022 - The bodily changes of getting older.

but me and you were still going through the bodily functions in 2006 :)

I am on wee'ing tablets (diabetes) and I go about once an hour.
Last night was a miracle, I only woke up once and had a wee but usually it's 3 or 4.

Soldato
- Seem to be getting indigestion more often on any food that contains a bit more fat (things like cured meats, cheese, curry, etc)
- Hair's receded a reasonable amount, and thinned on top. My wife cuts my hair and comments that each time she cuts it, it seems there's less to cut in some areas
- Up for a wee in the night, and if I don't drink anything hours before bed I wake up dehydrated instead (sometimes also needing a wee anyway)
- Not sleeping as solidly (no change in caffiene, I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, sleep was never the same after they appeared)
- I lift weights twice a week and run 15k a week (3 5ks) and track my calories, but a gut is still forming. I don't buy what people say about how age has no bearing on your weight. It definitely does.
- The runs are getting harder due to the weight being harder to keep off
- Slightly disturbingly, the elasticity in the skin on one side of my face has started to fail - I've got an involuntary dimple now in my right cheek that just seems to stay there. Pinching both of my cheeks, you can feel the difference in elasticity. Really weird.

V F

V F

Soldato
Well yes, I'd be amazed if anyone is trying to claim you actually get fitter as you get older?!

Funny that. Wolf from Gladiators said that in the last few years. Considering he must have been in his mid 30s during Gladiators. He's now 69.

Crazy thinking Gladiators started on October 1992.

- getting even fatter
- cataracts!

Also funny that in the aspect seeing old footage of Wayne Rooney with loss of hair then the much later footage of his games with his hair growing back.

Soldato

Ive had enough really

Had to reread this as thought I had written it in my sleep, most of this absolutely the same for me! Except fat, I still have a high metabolism so can eat anything without an effect on my weight/size. Re tinitus I had this for a day about 3 weeks after my covid booster, so presume it might be connected, only lasted 12hrs but was as you say like a switch being flicked and incredibly overbearingly annoying - not looking forward to that becoming a permanent feature, how do people cope with it?!

Soldato
. Re tinitus I had this for a day about 3 weeks after my covid booster, so presume it might be connected, only lasted 12hrs but was as you say like a switch being flicked and incredibly overbearingly annoying - not looking forward to that becoming a permanent feature, how do people cope with it?!

you get used to it, but it does depend how loud and intrusive it is. Also what the sound is, i find my shh noise much easier to deal with than a ringing noise like you hear in tv and film.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Bah turned 50 last year and did a Ironman last year.

But hairs grow where it shouldn't, Beer makes me ill, I wake up at 5 in the morning no matter what time i get up, then get shouted at for getting up and emptying the dishwasher.

Exercise is more important but those knocks and bangs you laughed about and carried on playing through now decide to come back and haunt you.

(for those with bad backs take up swimming)

Back
Top Bottom