The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
I can barely contain my excitement that this is getting an adaption, absolutely up there in my favourite comic series of all time.

For anyone that's not aware, The Boys is set in a world where heroes exist but they're not noble and selfless, they just do whatever they want. On the surface they're the role models for the world but in reality, they murder, steal, rape because frankly...who can stop them.

Fairly decent looking cast, Urban's on board so that's an instant thumbs up, shame they couldn't have got Simon Pegg for Hughie though, he's a dead ringer.

Coming to prime in 2019, they just keep putting out great content and while Netflix quality has fallen off massively, Prime is fair consistent.

Soldato
OP
Garth Ennis intentionally made Hughie look like Simon Pegg from what I've read.

Learn something new every day...

Darick Robertson offers insight into Hughie's creation "Wee Hughie was inspired by an old friend of Garth's. Garth emphasized that it was important to capture an innocence but tough determination in Hughie. Two things that seemed to contradict each other and somehow in early sketches he kept looking to old. When I saw Simon Pegg in "Spaced" I thought he captured that balance perfectly,and "Shaun" nailed that home.

Soldato
OP
Re-downloaded the series from humble bundle last night for a full re-read before the show starts. First thing I noticed was that Simon Pegg does the introduction for the first issue, hadn't picked up on that before.

Soldato
OP
So there's a new red band trailer out i'd love to link but reckon i'd be facing a holiday if I did :D

I'm about mid way through my re-read of The Boys series and feel like at least 25% of the content will never make it even close to the TV show, unless Amazon have brass balls when it comes to releasing this.

Soldato
OP
Good interview with Karl Urban and Jack Quaid here...

The bigger question is, will The Boys be as unapologetically violent as the comic? Urban explains, “It was clear to me early on that tonally, we were going to do something a little different to that. But, that also, we were taking the basic elements of those characters that Garth had created, and sort of building a world, and an interesting and eclectic dimensional group of characters, which inhabited that world.” So, while there will be some departures, it still retains that core heart and brutality of Ennis’ comics.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/inter...od-battling-invisible-men-the-boys-interview/

Soldato
OP
As much as I love Karl Urban, his accent's a bit dodgy and he's not quite right as Butcher. Still, he's always entertaining and along with all the other little changes etc, it's no big deal.

I do wonder if he'll be able to carry off some of the more...how do I say, extreme actions of Butcher later on if they follow the comic to it's conclusion.

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm, got a free day, do I game or binge The Boys? It's a hard choice as with a two year old, I rarely get to game. Also wife really wants to see it so might have to watch twice.

Strong reviews already, averaging over 9 on imdb.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well if your wife wants to watch it, just wait for her, surely?

Well seems like an easy decision, however it's taken us almost an entire month to watch Stranger Things season 3 (only 8 episodes) due to working hours, looking after the little one and our own individual personal commitments.

I guess i'm asking if anyone thinks this has easy rewatchability as i'm frankly impatient and itching to start :D

Soldato
OP
Watched episode 2 tonight, familiar enough to the comic that I'm recognising things and different enough it doesn't feel like a re-tread of familiar ground.

Bit sad there's no Terror though. :(

Soldato
OP
LOL...turns out there was one scene filmed that Amazon insisted would be cut.

“I couldn’t quite understand why considering everything else we have in the show, but: Homelander, after being dressed down by Stilwell in episode 2, was standing on one of the Chrysler building eagles.

He pulled his pants down and started jacking off, mumbling ‘I can do whatever I want’ over and over again until he climaxed all over New York City. We shot it! Oh my God, Antony [Starr] was the BEST in that scene.

Amazon seemed to think it wasn’t necessary. I thought it told me something about his psyche. To be clear, they’ve been great, that may have been the ONLY fight I lost in Season 1.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-one-scene-amazon-cut-from-the-boys/

Soldato
OP
Finished it last night, lost some momentum towards the end for me but quite like the big change at the end from the comic as it gives me a bit of mystery back going forward.

For those who read the comic...

Really not sure what purpose Black Noir has now that they've changed it that Homelander openly admits to having sex with/raping Becca. (This has a big question mark over it now as it's not so clear cut whether he did force himself on her or it was mutual).

I guess Noir will still be the Homelander failsafe but outside of that, with the end changed the way it has, that big twist is out the window

Back
Top Bottom