The Budget 2024 thread

Soldato
How is today's Budget going to affect you?

It's not going to affect me much at all either way. I'm retired so I don't pay National Insurance. I don't trade property. I do take the occasional business-class trip - once every few years - so will pay more there. I might benefit from the £5K ISA allowance if it comes to pass. No children. I don't smoke. I don't drive much. Etc. For me it's pretty much a nothingburger.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Nothing in it that matters to me. I work and have kids. Don't trade property and don't need another £5K ISA allowance to invest in a restricted market

Man of Honour
Very pleased about the child benefit charge changes, but I think they could go further and make it a combined married couple earnings as to not essentially penalise primarily single bread winner families.

I wish they would move the higher tax threshold, such a massive stealth tax that needs to change, but I suppose squeezing the middle is always the way. I suppose doubling down on national insurance is better than nothing, but the principle of keeping tax thresholds during a high inflation period really does stink.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Very pleased about the child benefit charge changes, but I think they could go further and make it a combined married couple earnings as to not essentially penalise primarily single bread winner families.

I wish they would move the higher tax threshold, such a massive stealth tax that needs to change, but I suppose squeezing the middle is always the way. I suppose doubling down on national insurance is better than nothing, but the principle of keeping tax thresholds during a high inflation period really does stink.

I'd have liked to see the cliff at edge for tax free and 15/30 hours of free childcare at £100k changed. Hitting that is already an effective 60% tax rate due to PA erosion, but taking away the childcare provisions is even worse when you've got one parent being the main bread winner.

That £50k child benefit and £100k childcare thresholds were set years ago and never adjusted for inflation; https://wingatefp.com/the-loss-of-free-childcare-a-97-marginal-rate-of-tax/

Soldato
We’re going to get to keep the whole child benefit payment and be about £225 better off per month due to the NI cut. With the NI cut in the autumn statement as well, we’ll be around £600 better off per month as a combined household.

They’re planning to fix that by April 2026 according to today’s statement. Apparently it will take that long to update HMRC’s systems to deal with a household income rather than just individuals.

The threshold bump to £60k with a taper to £80k is meant to act as a bridge until they can implement the new system.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
They’re planning to fix that by April 2026 according to today’s statement. Apparently it will take that long to update HMRC’s systems to deal with a household income rather than just individuals.

The threshold bump to £60k with a taper to £80k is meant to act as a bridge until they can implement the new system.

Is there more in the detail, and the household income will be double the current per person limit - else this is would just be worse!

Caporegime
Just the NI cut.
So 1000 pounds better off as a household.
750 for me and 300 for gf.

No kids so the rest doesn't affect us.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We’re going to get to keep the whole child benefit payment and be about £225 better off per month due to the NI cut. With the NI cut in the autumn statement as well, we’ll be around £600 better off per month as a combined household.

225 just from NI? I thought max was 750 per person per year?

Last edited:
Caporegime

No kids here but they should do a combined earnings. It shouldn't matter if one person is on 80k or 8 people are on 10k each.
Not sure what cap should be as a household myself.

Soldato
Problem HMRC currently face is that they do not really have a joined up record of co-habitating couples so will be a complete faff to recreate it for the new Child benefit.

Would much rather than it be paid universally and taxed as income at your marginal rates.

Personally a fair chunk better off by the two NI cuts. Had hoped to see changes to IHT and the residence nil rate bad and the personal allowance.

Changes to the non-dom rules mean that I will have an exceptionally busy 13 months tax planning (tax accountant speciallising in offshore trusts :o)

6.5 or 7/10. No fireworks, no rabbits, very much maintain the status quo.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd have liked to see the cliff at edge for tax free and 15/30 hours of free childcare at £100k changed. Hitting that is already an effective 60% tax rate due to PA erosion, but taking away the childcare provisions is even worse when you've got one parent being the main bread winner.

That £50k child benefit and £100k childcare thresholds were set years ago and never adjusted for inflation; https://wingatefp.com/the-loss-of-free-childcare-a-97-marginal-rate-of-tax/
I agree @ single breadwinner taxes being bad, but I have what I reckon are probably unpopular beliefs around free childcare stuff and would rather they just funnel that money in to tax breaks for married couples/direct support for single mums. Everything being equal though obviously these things should be locked to inflation, I don't get how they justify not doing so.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
It's it not being locked to inflation that irks me (or properly funded anyway, the government funding doesn't cover the cost of the nursery places anyway). I think tax breaks for married couples is quite old fashioned and the current system can work well.. just, cliff edge on a limit set in 2017 that if adjusted for inflation is about £130k these days.

I'm just a bit fed up of spending more than my mortgage on childcare for the past few years, and now being forced to put money into my pension (arguably not a bad thing) to remain under the threshold to still qualify for tax breaks on childcare.

Soldato
The high income child benefit charge has always been a complete joke that a couple on 50k each (100k combined) get the full benefit, but a couple on say 60k and 10k (70k combined) get nothing.

I was appalled at the lack of Comms and information that went out about the charge when it came in, as loads of people like me, didnt even know it was a thing until years of claiming CB in full, racking up a bill of thousands.

It taking two years to build out a fair combined income system just smells so British. It takes over a year to resurface a 100 yard stretch of road now, so I guess we can't be surprised.

Last edited:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Just the NI cut will give me a bit extra ££ every month.

Personally I don't really get why child benefit/tax credits whatever it's called even exists. If you choose to have a child you should pay for it, why is the government giving handouts. I don't have any kids so I'm a bit miffed I get nothing whilst those that do get free ££ :p

Associate
Just the NI cut will give me a bit extra ££ every month.

Personally I don't really get why child benefit/tax credits whatever it's called even exists. If you choose to have a child you should pay for it, why is the government giving handouts. I don't have any kids so I'm a bit miffed I get nothing whilst those that do get free ££ :p
Yeah it's a total joke.

Pays for my fags and booze though.

Back
Top Bottom