The Budget 2024 thread

Soldato
Around £50 per month better off from the 2% NI cut than would otherwise have been the case.

Better off from the continued freeze in fuel duty.
You mean no worse off. It's nicely worded by them but they aren't giving you anything, just not taking more.

But yes same here NI reduction is the only meaningful thing, as my other half is on UC it's basically a wage increase for me that doesn't reduce her income at the same time like my payrises does.

Soldato
Where was any help for SMEs, the backbone of the economy and the place that would drive this growth we need so people can be paid a decent wage in the first place so don't need tax breaks and handouts just to survive.

It smacks of a tax cut sticking plaster to combat the CoL, without any long term plan, whilst cutting services further to pay for it.

Soldato
Problem HMRC currently face is that they do not really have a joined up record of co-habitating couples so will be a complete faff to recreate it for the new Child benefit.

Would much rather than it be paid universally and taxed as income at your marginal rates.

Personally a fair chunk better off by the two NI cuts. Had hoped to see changes to IHT and the residence nil rate bad and the personal allowance.

Changes to the non-dom rules mean that I will have an exceptionally busy 13 months tax planning (tax accountant speciallising in offshore trusts :o)

6.5 or 7/10. No fireworks, no rabbits, very much maintain the status quo.
Can't believe people are giving a 6.5 or 7 to cutting services to fund tax cuts. I guess they do it because its so easy to fool people.

Associate
Just the NI cut will give me a bit extra ££ every month.

Personally I don't really get why child benefit/tax credits whatever it's called even exists. If you choose to have a child you should pay for it, why is the government giving handouts. I don't have any kids so I'm a bit miffed I get nothing whilst those that do get free ££ :p

A lot of countries are having to encourage people to have kids as otherwise it will just be a population of old retired people queuing at post offices and weatherspoons with no one to serve them....

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Just the NI cut will give me a bit extra ££ every month.

Personally I don't really get why child benefit/tax credits whatever it's called even exists. If you choose to have a child you should pay for it, why is the government giving handouts. I don't have any kids so I'm a bit miffed I get nothing whilst those that do get free ££ :p

Our kids will pay the tax to fund your state pension and public services once you’re not working.
Population needs to be refreshed, and with childcare at what it cost now it’s hard to justify continuing to work and pay for childcare for many - so they’d just not work, and pay no tax or NI back in to the pot.

Soldato
I put this in the other thread, but I’ll do here as well

Well put

FT said said:
“One more thing,” Hunt said, copying Steve Jobs’ famous catchphrase. “Lower taxes.” Hold on. Jobs did not announce the iPhone just after breaking everyone’s laptops. You cannot use “one more thing” to say people will still pay the highest taxes since 1948 but in slightly different ways.

Soldato
Now that I’ve had some time to think about it.. here’s my feelings, not that it matters as I’m just a nobody.

National Insurance, a payroll tax, cut by 2p in the pound for employees and the self-employed
Better in my pocket than theirs, this could signal the end of NI which would simplify the UK tax system.

If we are getting rid of NI, this may cost us more in taxes in the long run, pensioners don’t pay NI and if they roll NI into income tax.. we may end up paying a lot more tax on our pension pots. Easy enough to resolve by increasing the tax free percentage.

Non-dom tax regime, for UK residents whose permanent home is overseas, to be replaced with new rules from April 2025
This needs to be done but it won’t happen during this government. I would go further and say if they have a resident address in the UK then they should be paying UK taxes.

£5,000 UK ISA tax allowance for savers investing in "UK-focused" shares - to be set up following a consultation
Pointless, just another way of trying to get people to invest in a market that’s moving sideways. If the billions of uk pension pots ain’t helping the uk market, the extra 5k per person who decides to do this ain’t going to help.

If you already have 20k a year to invest, surely you would know of other ways to obtain tax relief or even better pay taxes on the extra that you have made.

You could invest 20k in an all world excluding uk and then invest £800 into this to cover the 4% that is the uk market.

Full child benefits to be paid to households where highest-earning parent earns up to £60,000 - the current limit is £50,000

Partial child benefit to be paid where highest earner earns up to £80,000
Not a parent, but the formula is used is well shoddy. The government stopped married tax allowance a while back, thou you can still claim to use unused personal income allowance of a partner. This whole thing needs to be reformed for fairness.

Longer repayment period for people on benefits taking out emergency budgeting loans from the government

Government fund for people struggling with cost of living pressures to continue for another six months

£90 admin fee to obtain a debt relief order scrapped
Good for those who need it.
line

Freeze on alcohol duty, which had been due to end in August, to continue until February 2025
Personally I don’t drink that much now a days, pubs are dying and its the bare minimum to give them a fighting chance.

New tax on vaping products from October 2026, linked to the levels of nicotine
I vape.. I understand why they want to tax this and agree that certain items should be taxed but jumping from zero to the proposed tax rates is extreme.
  • £1 per 10ml for nicotine free e-liquids
  • £2 per 10ml for e-liquids containing nicotine at concentrations between 0.1 to 10.9mg per ml
  • £3 per 10ml for e-liquids containing nicotine at concentrations 11mg per ml, or above

Tobacco duty to go up £2.00 per 100 cigarettes at same time, to ensure vaping remains cheaper
That’s an extra 40p for a pack of 20…
I used to smoke a lot less cigs than I vape.. might be cheaper for me to start smoking again..
line

Fuel duty frozen again, with the 5p cut in fuel duty on petrol and diesel, due to end later this month, kept for another year
I work from home and only use my car twice a week.. £40 a month is enough for me.. not going to make any difference to me.

"Windfall" tax on the profits of energy firms, which had been scheduled to end in March 2028, extended until 2029
Better still if they cap the prices correctly so the money never leaves people’s accounts and let the people decide what to do with the money, rather than the government deciding.

Air passenger duty, the tax paid on flights, to go up for business class tickets
Luxury tax, never needed to travel business class and I doubt that I ever will.

£160m deal for UK government to purchase site of planned Wylfa nuclear site in north Wales

A further £120m for a government fund that invests in green energy projects
Much needed

Higher rate of tax paid on profits from selling property cut from 28% to 24%
Trying to influence more people to sell their property portfolio to free up much needed houses for homes, this is the carrot.

Tax breaks for owners of holiday let properties scrapped
Not sure how this was a thing in the first place.. this is the stick.

someone buying a house to holiday let could have offered more for the house as the tax breaks may mean the total cost of purchase is less than someone buying without the tax breaks.

Stamp duty tax break when purchasing multiple properties in England or Northern Ireland to end in June
Again seems crazy that this was a thing when there’s a limitation in supply and much demand. Someone buying multiple houses could offer more knowing that they would get a stamp duty discount than someone who was just wanting the one house and not getting a discount.

NHS budget to go up £2.5bn next year; the service will also get £3.4bn up to 2030 to improve productivity
More money for the NHS is always good..

Having worked in IT for a medical industry, they may want to split the IT service away from the medical care side. Start with administration, then more on to the equipment. Let the doctors and nurses heal and let a totally different centralised division do all the paperwork and lab work.

Threshold at which small businesses must register to pay VAT raised from £85,000 to £90,000 from April
This is to cover inflation.

Covid-era government loan scheme for small businesses extended until March 2026
What about all the fraud?

Tax reliefs for touring and orchestral productions, which had to been due to end in March 2025, made permanent
Nope… if a company can’t stay afloat without tax reliefs then they shouldn’t exist or your taxes aren’t correct.
line

£1m for a memorial to honour Muslims who fought for Britain during World War One and Two
Yes but should this not be standard and as part of the heritage budget?

A new tax credit for independent UK films with a budget of less than £15m
Like with tax reliefs for touring and orchestral productions, but we are giving them money.. shouldn’t need to be a thing.

I don’t think this is the final act before a general election is called.. if it is then they are going battle poorly armed.

The main disappointment is not raising the tax brackets, it was set at a time of austerity and what has happen with inflation, keeping the policy in place is causing so much fiscal drag and making it much harder for some people than it’s needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there more in the detail, and the household income will be double the current per person limit - else this is would just be worse!

Very little detail yet that I've seen. Cynically, I expect part of the "it's going to take two years to figure it out" is actually a bit of realpolitik in action. If they suddenly said, "We're going to base it on household income from 6th April", then all of those couples on £49k each would instantly lose the benefit. This way, the Tories might gain a small bit of extra support from the individuals who will no longer lose their child benefit for earning £60k, and they don't lose support from the households whose joint income would see them go above the threshold.

225 just from NI? I thought max was 750 per person per year?

Good spot. I think payroll might have screwed up. All I did to get that figure was check a couple of payslips from the end of last year with January and February. My net pay increased by ~£112.50, so I doubled it to include my wife, who's on a similar salary.

Crunching the numbers, it looks like payroll reduced my NI by the correct amount, but they have also reduced my tax by that amount again. So unless there's something else at play that accounts for the reduction in tax as well as NI, I'm now underpaying tax…

So it's not £600 per month better off as a household, more like ~£330 (this is with the two NI reductions and the full child benefit allowance).

Still, as others have said in this thread and the other one, it just about accounts for the increase in CoL.

Soldato
Soldato
As Hunt is talking about getting rid of NI, will people just be happier when their income tax has increase to make up for it?
Obviously a simpler system, and it's not as if NI is ringfenced anyway, but that money will have to be found somewhere...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Early retired so nada. Nice to see those (child) benefit scroungers get a boost though. :p
Can't tell if srs.
Instead you get stories like this

Verging on going off topic but it's nothing to do with costs imo, people tend to have less kids the more affluent they are across the board. My view is it's a cultural change and people's cognitive dissonance pushes them towards it being an economic choice.

As Hunt is talking about getting rid of NI, will people just be happier when their income tax has increase to make up for it?
Obviously a simpler system, and it's not as if NI is ringfenced anyway, but that money will have to be found somewhere...
Some would argue they already found this by not raising the income tax thresholds for years :p

Ultimately a NI swap for income tax would adversely those who have incomes also made from taxable levels of shares/interest/pensions, anything not paid from employment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Unless he's going to shift NI wholly to the employer that's going to hit pensioners hard. And pensioners are one of the Tories' core vote groups.

Soldato
Unless he's going to shift NI wholly to the employer that's going to hit pensioners hard. And pensioners are one of the Tories' core vote groups.
He's been on Sky news this morning:
''Jeremy Hunt is speaking to Kay Burley this morning, and is asked about his party's newly stated goal of scrapping national insurance.

The chancellor says this not "going to happen any time soon".

One idea he floats is that "you can merge income tax and national insurance".

He claims that national insurance equates to a secondary tax on work, sitting on top of income tax.

According to Labour, scrapping national insurance would cost £46bn a year - and £230bn across a five-year parliament.

According to the Office for Budget Responsibility, income tax brought in £251bn in 2022-23, and national insurance brought in £177bn.

Merging the two could see income tax come up to bring in the extra money national insurance currently raises.

This could have a knock impact in a number of areas - including for pensioners, who do not pay national insurance but do pay income tax.''

Soldato
OP
He's been on Sky news this morning:

Ah, I don't have Sky.

The chancellor says this not "going to happen any time soon".

Because he's not going to be in power, perhaps? :D Mind you, now the civil service have got the idea...

This could have a knock impact in a number of areas - including for pensioners, who do not pay national insurance but do pay income tax.''

I think I might have mentioned that. :)

Soldato
It's a strange thing to say, and no doubt **** off their main voting block. Saying that, the country is now in such a **** state after the last 14 years they probably don't want to take the flack for it any more. Within a week of Labour taking over it will be all their fault.

Back
Top Bottom