• Neutral

Votes: 103 26.0%
  • Somewhat dissatisfied

Votes: 79 19.9%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 67 16.9%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
*... Then it's unclear whether this £10,500 is fixed for 2013/14 and beyond.

I think the point Glaucus was trying to make was that there was no guarantee that the over 65 rate would have continued to track at ~33% above the standard rate but then there's equally nothing to suggest that it wouldn't have.

They want to keep increasing personal allowence, but that depends who will be in government.

And yes that's very much my point.
The "would have" done is just Bs figures pulled from no where. You might as just make up any figure you want and say they are worse off.

Also isnt it only the extra allowenced fixed, so they don't stay the same, they still get the extra normal personal allowence.

Soldato
Also isnt it only the extra allowenced fixed, so they don't stay the same, they still get the extra normal personal allowence.

No, anyone turning 65 after Apr 5th 2013 will be on less personal allowance than a 65 y/o now.

They want to keep increasing personal allowence, but that depends who will be in government.

You do realise that the personal allowance has only stayed static 4 times in the last 20 years, so an annual increase is pretty standard

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But then better off in 2014/2015, so a slight transition period.

As I said at the start is t the state pension 140 a week, which is 7 and a bit K and well under the limits.

On top of that the pension is being raised by more than the £83 meaning NO one is worse off.

Last edited:
Soldato

As I said at the start is t the state pension 140 a week, which is 7 and a bit K and well under the limits.

And as I already replied to that statement, we are talking about the people not just on the state pension....since as you point out, they don't pay any tax, not now, not then, so are irrelevant to this discussion.

On top of that the pension is being raised by more. Than the £83 meaning NO one is worse off.

Duh, so you don't think the HMRC thought about adjusting for pension increases and inflation already... :confused:

The "would have" done is just Bs figures pulled from no where. You might as just make up any figure you want and say they are worse off.

And you keep saying this which really makes no sense....what is a BS figure pulled from nowhere?....Do you mean the *actual* amount of extra age related allowance they get now that is real. Which we are not increasing, just adding to the standard allowance, as has happened for the last 20 years...

I do not see how that is a random figure pulled from anywhere :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato

We can't say for sure because we can't predict what the over 65 rate would have been in 2014/15.

There's no way to argue it either way.

On top of that the pension is being raised by more than the £83 meaning NO one is worse off.

The pension is only being raised in line with inflation, it would have happened anyway no matter what the allowance was set at.

In terms of your first point, I'm thinking about my mum, who gets the state pension and a teacher's pension, she's likely to get hit by this.

Soldato
Because wanting to keep what you've earned is such a bad thing? Wise up.

we would all like to pay no tax. the fact is the country is in mess, i wonder how bad it could be if everyone was such a selfish **** as yourself?

the fact you are well off and still cry shows a lot about you. im more than happy to help people worse off that myself and earn a lot less.

enjoy your rich selfish life but dont expect too many people at your funeral. you dont sound like the type of person the world will miss.

Soldato
I can't argue with the main point,

Schools spend far too much time on Academia - some kids just are not meant to be academics, they should be encouraged to spend more time on crafting, designing, the arts, woodwork, metalwork, electronics, invention - all these things the average non-academic kid could be brilliant at.

We should also be teaching them how to handle money, emotional loss, jealousy, balance a budget, how not to get into debt & loads of other important things.

but if only uni kids can get highly paid jobs, is that fair?

uni will just be back to the rich and everyone else will be back to scraping a living. i cant see that happening. people would rather revolt. look at the riots. people are ****ed off enough already. MP steals £30k gets found out and gives it back. no consequence. guy steals some trainers and gets 4 years.

how can you blame people who would work all week for £20 in their back pocket deciding not to bother?

Suspended
we would all like to pay no tax. the fact is the country is in mess, i wonder how bad it could be if everyone was such a selfish **** as yourself?

the fact you are well off and still cry shows a lot about you. im more than happy to help people worse off that myself and earn a lot less.

enjoy your rich selfish life but dont expect too many people at your funeral. you dont sound like the type of person the world will miss.

The failure of the Government to manage the economy is not my problem. Simples.

You know nothing about me and I don't owe you an explanation or a life story so stop ranting and get over yourself.

Suspended

uni will just be back to the rich and everyone else will be back to scraping a living. i cant see that happening. people would rather revolt. look at the riots. people are ****ed off enough already. MP steals £30k gets found out and gives it back. no consequence. guy steals some trainers and gets 4 years.

how can you blame people who would work all week for £20 in their back pocket deciding not to bother?

No disrespect, but a degree is not required to succeed in life. I haven't got one and it hasn't held me back.

There are plenty of jobs that pay well if you sufficiently apply yourself. Plumbers, electricians, plasterers, so on and so forth.

Soldato

Trust me, I'm not saying that academic people should get much higher wages - I've always strongly campaigned for fairer wages in all my places of work for those lower down the ladder.

I don't think anybody who are working 40 odd hours per week should be scraping by making a living.

Man of Honour
I know, I'm surprised by that... Fuel isn't too painful for me as I claim a lot of mileage back and it almost breaks even for me thanks to me having a company car and driving like a grandad. However, it's ridiculously expensive. If and when I do get my own car again, I doubt I'll be doing to the brim fill ups!

I think I'm about £14 or so better off per month after tax in my pay cheque.

Caporegime
Fuel is around £1.50 a litre at the moment. Interesting that there were protests when it hit £1 a litre, but here we are almost 50% more and the sheeple are silent.

I used to be really against the idea of high fuel taxes but now I realise that there are probably lots of benefits. We really need to curb fossil fuel usage (for many reasons), limit driving, get more people using public transport, have more economical cars (and I hate hybrids but see them as somewhat a necessary evil). Pressure to make drivers think more before making a journey, pressure them to car share, pressure them to try drive more carefully, pressure them to walk or bike to work. Also put pressure on car manufactures to improve efficiency or invest more in hybrid technologies etc.

The nice thing with tax on fuel is it is a very fair measure of taxing people that automatically takes into account the efficiency of the car, the amount you drive, how you drive, if you car share, if you use public transport or walk/bike. You can buy a big engined car and drive it aggressively pang more fuel tax, you can drive a small efficient car and save, you can buy a gas guzzling sports car but only drive it occasionally not paying much fuel tax. Much better than taxing the car based on stupid metrics like displacement.

One idea that make work well is to have higher fuel taxes for gas station in urban areas where public transport, walking/bike, car sharing is more plausible. It is those in the countryside that get disadvantaged by fuel tax

Soldato
No disrespect, but a degree is not required to succeed in life. I haven't got one and it hasn't held me back.

There are plenty of jobs that pay well if you sufficiently apply yourself. Plumbers, electricians, plasterers, so on and so forth.

you don't need to be thinking along those lines either to be honest, I don't have a degree and I have a pretty well paid office type job.

In fact I've been surrounded by people with degrees my whole life and competed on equal terms with them.

The fact I feel a little inadequate is entirely down to the fact EVERYONE has a degree and society seems to deem you an intelligent person only if you can prove it with a degree. The facts don't bear that out, I've been slightly ahead of my peers all the way through my career mainly becaue I got a 3 year head start on them :)

I don't get the whole thing about fees meaning the poor can't go when rich and poor alike don't have to pay it back until they're earning... you could still quite easily go to university then spend the rest of your life on minimum wage and it wouldn't cost you a bean.

Back
Top Bottom