The computer games market

Soldato
Is it just me or has the computer games market gone pretty flat recently ? im finding myself spending more time playing the same online games which have been around for ages (EVE-Online and CS:S) rather than going out and getting something new and different, purely because there is nothing to get :(

Last game i bought was C&C3 Tiberium, completed it, got bored and sold it on.

Just been looking at the market of upcoming games and i dont think theres anything that looks interesting in the next month-2 months.

Whats going on?! there used to be a something reasonable being released every month or so!

To open this up further, what games are up and coming that people are looking forward to?

fRostiE

jaykay said:
Its mainly the big players in autumn. Crysis, UT3, GTA. The games market is always quiet in summer.

you'd think they might try and cash in on all the school kids who are about to be leaving school with not a lot to do with their time though?

fRostiE said:
you'd think they might try and cash in on all the school kids who are about to be leaving school with not a lot to do with their time though?

Don't think school has ever stopped kids buying/playing games tbh. Also I think the demographic for PC games is a bit different (older) from consoles, with a lot of gamers in their 20s (and beyond) now.

Like I've said in a dozen threads like this before, lack of new games never bothers me beause there's a such a fantastic back catalogue of titles I have yet to try. For example two of the last four games I've completed were released in 2003.

i blame WoW, non mmo developers cant compete with the time WoW consumes for gamers and mmo devs all try to copy wow leaving very little diversity in the mmo market

:p

Master_X said:
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men is out end of the month, a while to wait i know but hopefuly worth it :D

Where did you get that idea from - it looks like either September, October or November for this one.

Last edited:
think im gonna try Overlord 2bh, most people seem to be enjoying it and i used to love Dungeon Keeper 2 which apparently its quite similar to

Just makes me wonder why i bothered buying a £280 gfx card and theres now nothing to challenge or really do on it, other than play old titles :p

kola said:
same the only games I play ;-)

i guess the reason is the same as me, CS:S is different every time you log on, and you can chill when playing EVE or you can go all out PVP... quite diverse :/

fRostiE

Piracy has a big part to play in it, small developers lost out in a lot of money which they could have used to develop new games, i think at one point team crytek had to get a partnership with EA due to a lack of funds.

wrong forum - but get a 360 and enjoy titles such as Crackdown, the Darkness, Deadrising - to name but a few currently available. Seriously - Crackdown will remind you why you play games - you will never have such fun as in that game.

Piracy has a big part to play in it, small developers lost out in a lot of money which they could have used to develop new games, i think at one point team crytek had to get a partnership with EA due to a lack of funds.

i cant see why they dont make a sort of dongle for usb and with every game that comes out you put the dongle in to install then after that you can take it out , because downlaods would be useless without a hardware dongle authencation, this would solve piracy

i think most game companies have some kind of cut $$$ where they make blank dvdrs/cdrs , maybe thats why they only have poor protection

Last edited:
any security tool can be broken, any protocol circumvented, its just a matter of knowhow, the right tools, and time, unfortunately leading devs to consoles which, whilst still hackable, isnt as easy (atleast for a casual user) as a pc game

@mosehn
Highly doubt it, Pirates wouldn't buy any games even if they couldn't download them, nor has downloading em stopped any buys.
The downloaders are mainly people that just don't have money for games and wouldn't buy them anyhow, even if they couldnt download games.

@ mbk, that's rubbish, everyone I know that has a console, has a chipped console, very easy to find people to do it for you, consoles are even easier coz you let someone do it once and then it'll work for ever, no need to do anything anymore, while on pc's, you'll need to do something new for every game and for every new type of protection.

Back
Top Bottom