The Dead Linger

Soldato
Yeh I was also not sure, but I'd rather spend less now and get all the versions (alpha/beta/full release). Sure, it's a risk, but to me £14.99 is probably what I would spend in a few weeks worth of junk food and drink I don't need :p. I did the same with Arma 3; got it for £19.99 and now it is released my friends had to pay £39.99 for it.

Soldato
Yeh I was also not sure, but I'd rather spend less now and get all the versions (alpha/beta/full release). Sure, it's a risk, but to me £14.99 is probably what I would spend in a few weeks worth of junk food and drink I don't need :p. I did the same with Arma 3; got it for £19.99 and now it is released my friends had to pay £39.99 for it.

It's not really the cost or the risk that bothers me. What tends to happen when I play an Alpha is that I sort of ruin the game for myself by becoming too familiar with it in its incomplete/buggy state. Then by the time the full release happens I find that I'm bored of the game, or that it has lost its mystery and that feeling of exploring something new. I'm not sure if that makes much sense but it's the best explanation I can think of at the moment lol.

Soldato
It's not really the cost or the risk that bothers me. What tends to happen when I play an Alpha is that I sort of ruin the game for myself by becoming too familiar with it in its incomplete/buggy state. Then by the time the full release happens I find that I'm bored of the game, or that it has lost its mystery and that feeling of exploring something new. I'm not sure if that makes much sense but it's the best explanation I can think of at the moment lol.

Then buy it and don't play it? That way you get the full release for discounted price?

Soldato
Lol I've spent £14.99 on things far worse :p Just give it a go and if you can't stand it, come back in half a year and see how much progress has been made :)

Here is their Twitter feed for anyone interested https://twitter.com/thedeadlinger

I haven't had a chance to try multiplayer yet, but I've heard it is very buggy at the moment. Although I think that is going to be there focus for the next few days (according to their tweets).

Soldato
Then buy it and don't play it? That way you get the full release for discounted price?

That's true, but if I did that with every game that looked promising at Alpha stage I could end up spending a lot of money. If it turns out great at release then I wouldn't begrudge paying full price for it. It's swings and roundabouts really. I feel that I'd spend less money and end up with less crap if I avoided most stuff that they release as "early access" at Alpha stage. I could well be wrong though!

Soldato
if I did that with every game that looked promising at Alpha stage I could end up spending a lot of money.

I do this with most games at release stage, and I have definitely spent a lot of money :D

Shame I don't have enough time to play all these games :( I just bought the Humble Bundle Weekly Sale

Permabanned
Just got this, I have lots of Alpha games so I know to expect the worst and I have a full game on my hands when it finally reaches Retail. At this stage is it any good or are we just supporting and stress testing to help the devs?

Associate
I have been in it for a few months and, TBH, I cant get on with it. They are just progressing at far too slow a pace compared to other games which were in a similar "early access" stage (rust, nether, dayz etc).
I see they have recently pinched a few ideas from rust. though, probably other games too, so the extreme slow progress may help to fill out the game a bit, but for me this is just too far away from ready to be worth my time. I just play a few mins after every update and leave underwhelmed. This is more like pre-Alpha to me now, so imagine what it was like a few builds ago when they started selling access.

The inventory is a kind of Day Z thing, but more simple, crafting is ripped off from rust (including hunting, cooking meat on campfires etc), the map all looks the same, animations are horrible. Plus I still struggle with their unique door open/closing thing after all this time.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah it has a long way to go that is for sure, been playing it a lot since last night and it does have a lot of potential. I also dislike the way you open doors it is far to buggy and awkward atm. Shame they progress so slow as the roadmap looks decent. I like the way you can press alt and look over you shoulder like DayZ all FPS games should have that imo. I also had a struggle to get decent frames at first but I hear that is common and they are working on a fix, something to do with the way the zeds move causes it or something. The multiplayer side seems dead though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been playing some 7 Days To Die (7D2D) and it's kind of how I imagined The Dead Linger (TDL) would be in half a year or so (obviously apart from the main differences like 7D2D having a fixed map - TDL having a dynamically generated map).

It has crafting, mining, fairly good gun play, a few different enemies.. etc

I shall be sticking with this until TDL is further developed. Currently in TDL, every time I get near a farm (after a good 5 min of running IRL), the map has to 'refresh' and it respawns me all the way back to where I started. So infuriating!

Permabanned
I found a proper prison :) Now going to get some planks and board this place up, I have a huge town right next to it so time to go farming. Also I think when you drop stuff on the floor they stay when you quit and reload so you can stock up a lot of stuff.

cza9.jpg

pffu.jpg

mjtn.jpg

7l8m.jpg

Caporegime
haha witcher and you said this was awesome it looks terribad another nether trying to cash in . they haven't even got the budget to finish the game.

Permabanned
DG go and troll back to the DayZ SA thread ;) Graphics are not everything as you were telling me when I said Arma 3 looked 100 times better then SA. You remember that right? Put it this way I have been on this for the past 3-4 days and enjoying it a lot. Build 12 comes out this month with a ton of more zeds and some very cool features :) Also I think they said graphics and everything is being redone as some point, but I am happy with the looks it fits quite well.

Last edited:
Permabanned
zombie looks good, terrain/textures looks quite lacking though. it is good having all these survival games in the works.

Yeah, plus the trees kinda bend when you look down lol. But the inside of the buildings now look pretty sweet if you have not tried build 11 yet. If they can complete that amazing roadmap this game will probs be the first real survival game. I think the PvP servers may be a little rubbish though but who knows. I was watching a video and they plan to have at least 100 zombies completely surround the building you enter.

Back
Top Bottom