*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
Group buy update: A guy from next door just came round with a package from FedEx containing all the bits from Mouser. I haven't really looked through to check that its all there (i would have done, had my house mate not hidden the FedEx 'we came and you weren't in' slip), but had a quick look through and it seems most of the main bits are there, DAC chip, caps etc. I'll wait until there is some daylight before checking the SMD parts. There doesnt seem to be any customs/extra delivery info attached to the parcel or box, so i think we got lucky in that respect! Just got to wait for the Beezar stuff to turn up now - it has been posted, so hopefully it wont take too long, but i imagine it will be a week or two yet.

Looking forward to building this now, but i must admit, looking at the DAC chip and seeing the size of the pins.... it could be trickier than i imagined! Everyone make sure to stock up on magnifying glasses and fine tips for your irons! :D

One quick question - im not sure how you want me to package the stuff when i send it all out to you? I was thinking of putting the parts in small labelled plastic bags, but i'm not so sure about how to package the chips and regs, which are ESD sensitive. I know that lots of people ignore ESD, but i would rather not take the risk (and will handle all the ESD sensitive parts using proper precautions). I have a few small antistatic bags lying around that i could use in a pinch, although they have been opened. I will check up at the uni to see if they have some i could 'borrow', but does anyone know where you can buy them? I would hate to kill them before they got to you!

Associate
Hopefully the pins will be okay - i managed to get a few anti static bags from the physics electronics guru on campus, so i'll post the bits out in them. I think the pins should be protected, however, thsi si not something i had though about. I will try and put everything inside a cardboard box or similar in the envelope, and tape it down so it does not move etc. Still, i'll cross that bridge when the Beezar stuff arrives!

Soldato
hey all. I've just purchased an amp kit and it looks like I will need a transformer. The power supply looks to be dual rail so which of these would be ideal?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...unt=26&Nty=1&Ns=I18NPrc1_uk&Nso=0#resultArrow

This is the PSU schematic
VIRGO0904-5.jpg

Associate
infact, i think i know where you purchases the amp. Its an auditek virgo i think.

Dont bother with a toroid, its a scam. You will likely never see the amp unfortunately, unless you paid the $180 dollars buy it now. a while back 1 person did actually have a kit delivered, but it is rare!

He runs a network of stores, all shill bidding, then only it it makes a high price does he send it out.

audi0tek168, audiotek 968, hu6073,

there are loads of shops, all in the scam network. check out the feedback, its 99% fake. people with 10 or 11 feedbacks, all to this ring of sellers.

I have reported to ebay.

sorry to break the bad news!

Last edited:
Soldato
yup I just found all this out :/

The transaction hasn't hit my credit card yet, i'm going to call my bank tomorrow and just have them reverse the paypal charges. I hope I can do that, never had to do it before.

darn, was looking forward to a nice solid state project! :( damn scammers!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I bought once from them, some volume chips. They turned up after I chased them (about 2 and a half months after order!).Bought on 'buy it now'. Chips appear to be genuine when tested. Read here if you want more insight:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137913
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136058

I think in general if it's your first order and you paid full 'buy it now' price you should recieve it :)

May as well post this here. It's part of my still incomplete uni sound setup! I still need to build satellites (With Hi-Vi B3N). The sub can be seen some pages back.

This is the amplifier and crossover (and rectifier of power supply, AC transformer is in seperate box on floor). Consisting of 2 K4003 Velleman stereo amplifier modules (with alternative mounting!) one cofigured as 2x10W, the other will give me 1x30W into the 8ohm subwoofer as it is configured as bridged. The crossover system is on the front stripboards. Crossover at 112Hz, 12db on the sats (as they are sealed, the natural rolloff is also 12db so 24db total acoustic) and 24db on the sub, all Linkwitz Riley. A notch filter is incorporated for the satellites (the B3N has a significant breakup at about 8khz, it is a metal coned driver) and baffle step correction is also included. The bridge rectifier is mounted under the back board, in contact with the metal enclosure, and supplies 2x10,000uF capacitors.

It does work but I'm not very pleased with it. It's noisy, a probable sacrifice to having everything so compact without enough planning. Theres not much control, none really, so volume and bass level (though roughly balanced) is only changed via the PC. Also, in this uni room, the bass propogation is terrible, the desk is at a position where it is impossible to get good bass response. You get loud bass everywhere else in the room, which is not desirable :(. Because of this, the project remains unfinished, I may eventually do the sats though...

Associate
It looks really cool - its a shame you dont think it sounds so good. Uni rooms are not the best for sound - im not sure the paper thins walls and really crampt living space is really designed for hi-fi, but thats a pretty cool setup for a uni room!

*** Group buy update ***

Unfortunately i have been away for the last few days, but either yesterday or friday the bits arrived from Beezar (a lot sooner than expected!). I imagine that all of the parts will fit nicely in a small-ish jiffy bag (wrapped in bubble wrap to be sure), but if people would rather i post them in boxes, let me know and i'll try to find a few! Im not sure on the price to post - i'll try and find out ASAP. If you guys let me know how you want to pay, i'll mail you the relevant details plus prices. Once i have the money, i'll post ASAP.

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Am renting a room in a house so it's not a bad room specifically (the ones in halls would be though I'm sure). It's actually a big bedroom, the problem is the desk is along the narrow part of the room, it'd need to be at the back really. I'd need to do a serious shift around and I don't think the landlady would appreciate that, also the bed is good where it is :)

Associate
I feel your pain! Im in the same position as you and moved my whole room around to accomodate some speaker stands... I no longer have access to a cupboard, but it was worth it!

Associate
Not quite at the same level as the rest of you guys; but I built myself a Hydra for my Hi-Fi today. Basic Wattgates, a 4 Way multiplug and some Belden 83803 cable. Bit of a swine to wire the plug as the cable is really thick, even compared to the NAC A5 cable I use on my speakers!

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

Dave

Associate
Thanks for the update Chrissy. I'd like to pay by BACS. Do you think things will be OK in bags, or would boxes be a better bet?

I think i'll actually post everything in boxes. I really do not want to risk the pins on the chips being bent (im sure they wont be, but its better to be safe than sorry). I'll see if i can track some boxes down - i have loads of big-ish boxes, but its not really worth it for something so small! I'll see what i can find postage wise tomorrow and email you my details.

I'm looking forward to building this now (also slightly worried about the size of all those pins :p), but should be fun. Im looking forward to seeing everyone's results!

Associate
hard to say without seeing the circuit.

but i would say somethign must be getting rid of the excess voltage through heat. long term not great,

Back
Top Bottom