*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
Nice work, I have yet to attempt any SMD serious SMD soldering, but I'm going to have to eventually as I plan to upgrade my AK4393 DAC's to AK4396's in my DCX.

Did you practice first on any dead computer parts first or dive straight in?

Good job on your 2050 setup :)

I dove straight in to SMD. Just look on youtube, there are a lot of videos that will give you useful tips. Also I advise making sure you've got a solder tip in good condition, a pair of tweezers, good lighting, and a magnifying glass or reading glasses. ( I went without the magnifying glass or good lighting but managed...much easier with them though! ) Also something to hold the PCB while your soldering would be handy.

Soldato
yeh I been reading that, then I found out about thestarving student amp. Apparently the P2P design is easy, even for a retard like me.

I'm gonna try my luck at it, can people help me with parts if I post up on here? I found the cisco psu on ebay for £10, shall I buy it or is it too dear?

Try and get the tubes first, I'd imagine they are impossible to find now.

Soldato
Wow been a while since i posted in this thread, anywho ive just built a cmoy headphone amp after two attempts, first one worked but had allot of noise in the output that i couldnt shift so i redone with a differant layout and it sounds great. I have paired the cmoy with my modified chinese Dac and they seem to make a nice pair.

Having done away with the output stage of the dac i have a spar +12v and -12v lines on the psu, what would i need to do to this to power the cmoy with it, currently i have a 12v dc power adaptor running it but would like to make the whole thing a single design?

Soldato
could i run this from a pc psu, seems as if it has minimal power draw and i need a 5v and 12v source so would do away with a separate psu altogether and as its for my pc would be a nice little neat way of powering it, personally cant see an issue but thought id check.

Soldato
In theory, yes. You'd run from the +12v line and -12v line?

The -12V line on a PSU usually supplies about 1A, plenty for the CMOY (and the computers requirements from it!). However, you'll get all the noise from the PSU lines into the CMOY amplifier and you may get audible background noise through your phones and/or a grainy quality to the sound. The op-amps used have good power supply rejection though so it may be viable. Regulators to drop the +/-12v down to +/-8v (L7808 and L7908) lines are the most elegant solution I think :)

Soldato
Bass speaker sections completed

Thought I'd update you on my speaker project. Not completed, but a good milestone. For full details see here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/149246-bass-enclosure-3-way.html

Some pictures:

finishedpair2.jpg

finishedpair1.jpg

:D

Soldato
Thanks!

Must be a many many hours, I don't know the total. An awful lot of waiting for glue and sealer to dry though!

I've placed them in my room now. Only got one running so far, need to build another active crossover identical to the first for the other channel. Initially, sounded a bit distant. There's a few things to consider though; the new cabinet is far more rigid and damped than the test box so the overall 'heard' efficiency is likely to be lower with the upshot being a more neutral sound reproduction. The tweeter height has come down too so that will shift the tonal balance a bit as it's a long planar element and is very sensiutive to height positioning. It's also possible these new drivers need some wearing in. So, not going to be hasty making any crossover alterations just yet.

The bass is sounding good from this one though, hopefully it doesn't get skewed with the addition of the other. These are sealed cabs with a response more suitable for smaller rooms.

Definately more low level detail with the new cabinets (the old one was an unstuffed thin walled subwoofer box so it's to be expected really) and these seem to sound better up quite loud, which may be a bit unfortunate...

Looking forward to setting up a stereo prototype!

Soldato
The DIY Preamp is nearly finished, just need to move it into its proper case along with the DAC and a spot of rewiring and it will be done :)

for now, pictures:
(click for larger size and explanation of what all the different bits are!)

Plenty of room on the LHS for the dac + psu's.....

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It may have been covered but for good AV chassis, where do you guys go? I'm looking to start on a few projects, I'd like to start on a home made stereo amp and also a DAC but one thing I've fancied is transplanted my satellite receiver into a nice chassis. I'd like to have matching bezels, something classy.

Soldato
modushop makes some great little cases. Slightly pricey I guess, but nice. I've got my AV receiver in one of their GALAXY Maggiorato cases.

I have a pair of the 2u ones sat here (one dissipati, one standard, both with 10mm black alu fronts).. HackerNAP Power amps going in one, starfish/dac based preamp in the other..
SUPERB quality cases for the money!

:)

Sam

Associate
Hi all,
My first dip in the diy thread :)
I have bought a peter daniels classic lm3875 kit (on its way barring ash), and I am confused on what transformer to buy. I want to keep it simple and use one torodial. Can any one spec me a toroid, with a linky?
It supposedly needs a secondary voltage of 20-25VAC and 28-35V DC after the bridge
I will be driving 8ohm speakers if that helps
As you can probably tell I am a diy audio noob :D
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom