The eSIM Thread

Soldato
OP
I've switched over now, and I'm pretty pleased. My home broadband went out for about 4 hours on Sunday, and using my iPhone as a hotspot with EE worked well. The only query I have now is that you need to be an EE contract owner to switch to eSIM. They don't support eSIMs on their PAYG plans which is a shame. I'm currently on the 5GB of data, 500 minutes of calls and unlimited texts subscription for £10 a month. I need an eSIM as I need the physical SIM slot for my business mobile phone number. If I have to take out a 12 or 24-month contract, I'll consider it, but I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any options before I make the move.
Just an update here. I ended up speaking to a support rep online, and they were very helpful. Basically, the short version is that if I go into an EE store with my phone, they can switch me over to an eSIM.

Soldato
The only query I have now is that you need to be an EE contract owner to switch to eSIM. They don't support eSIMs on their PAYG plans which is a shame. I'm currently on the 5GB of data, 500 minutes of calls and unlimited texts subscription for £10 a month. I need an eSIM as I need the physical SIM slot for my business mobile phone number. If I have to take out a 12 or 24-month contract, I'll consider it, but I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any options before I make the move.
I too was moving to eSIM so that I could use the one phone for business and personal. Got fed up of carrying two phones around. I previously was very anti-Apple but I thought it was worth a go to get a free iPhone from work, and to only have the single device. Unfortunately I was previously on Giffgaff who dont support eSim (and Vodafone business don't either), so I had to move to an O2 contract. What I read at the time was basically no PAYG deals support eSIM, only contracts. Which was annoying but I found a decent O2 deal through some hidden page on their website ( :rolleyes: ) which was £6/month. At least I dont need to care about data and can rinse my business Vodafone data. Coverage for O2 and Vodafone is fine for me in west and central London but I don't really pay too much attention to it.

They both have visual voicemail and both have 5G so I'm very happy.

Soldato
Been with EE for a year now and wouldn't look elsewhere, eSIM on 13 Pro Max works a charm.

If you shop around you can get good deals with them, I am on a 120gb plan for £14 pm.

Soldato
What does the travel plan give that an eSIM on Airalo wouldn't?

The prices for the travel data plan with EE seem extortionate
I have a legacy contract.

I can use my phone in EU + AUS/US (plus others) for free at no extra charge.

I’m heading to Japan soon which isn’t covered by the travel so will be using the Airalo, it’s one payment though for the trip. Whereas I’d need to buy multiple plans between the countries or buy those euro zone things twice a year. I think the last time i check that was ~£200 for 2 plans over the year - ~£15 extra per month.

Also I have the apple stuff through my phone as well.

Soldato
I have a legacy contract.

I can use my phone in EU + AUS/US (plus others) for free at no extra charge.

I’m heading to Japan soon which isn’t covered by the travel so will be using the Airalo, it’s one payment though for the trip. Whereas I’d need to buy multiple plans between the countries or buy those euro zone things twice a year. I think the last time i check that was ~£200 for 2 plans over the year - ~£15 extra per month.

Also I have the apple stuff through my phone as well.
Ah nice, good old legacy contracts.

I'm heading to Japan too in a few weeks and will be using Airalo too, be interesting to see how it fares.

Soldato
Evening all

Are there any good deals out for eSims!

I’ve got an Apple Watch Ultra on order (hopefully arrives tomorrow) but would love an eSim currently only have a work iPhone 13 and Voda don’t have an eSim on our corporate account :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Evening all

Are there any good deals out for eSims!

I’ve got an Apple Watch Ultra on order (hopefully arrives tomorrow) but would love an eSim currently only have a work iPhone 13 and Voda don’t have an eSim on our corporate account :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ok so the question is could I get a cheap sim (Voice only, small data) and get the eSim paired and use it, different number would be a pain but not a show stopper

You could in theory get another sim on your iPhone to which you bolt on the Apple Watch data plan. May want to check it’s supported on a dual sim setup via Apple tech support.

Back
Top Bottom