• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Financial Results Thread

Soldato
Its part of the flaw in the system, IMO, you invest in a company you expect a return, why else would you do it?

For that company to keep giving investors their return they have to keep growing how much money they generate, not just make money, but keep increasing how much of it they make.
They can do that by growing their customer base, eventually there is no where left to grow in to, then what? Well then you start cutting costs to increase your margins, you've cut to the bone, now what? You increase your margins by pushing prices up, at that point you might start to look a bit deranged in trying to justify that to your consumers, sound familiar?

All the while investors never stop wanting more.

^^ Capitalism 101 - and that growing is a minimum of 5% , the same as supermarkets profit margins

Associate
Kind of get the feeling there's to much money in stocks like Nvidia to allow it to fail, the ratios just make no sense.

For 2023 Nvidia turned over $27b and made a net profit of $4.2b. There share price as of right now is 390.96 per share with 2.47b of outstanding shares available, giving an earnings per share of $1.7 each, divide the share price by the earnings per share and the ratio is 231 (for scale a company like Tesco it has a PE ratio of 27, HSBC is 7, Meta/Facebook 27 all of whom make similar or bigger profits then Nvidia).

For Nvidia's current valuation to make sense they would need to increase their revenue base of $27b to $121b in 5 years (by 2028) and maintain a 15.5% net profit margin (BTW that assumes the share price remains static which realistically it won't) which will generate net profits of around $18.7b per year.

I don't know how long investors think it will take Nvidia to achieve those goals, but do they really price shares that far in advance? Given a lot of hyperscalers are building out their own custom solutions seems kind of risky but then this goes back to my first point about being to high to allow it to fail.
you'd typically look at forward multiples, investors generally rely on 1 to 3 yr forward consensus estimates while comparing multiples. i no longer work on the sell-side but if you have access to a bloomberg terminal you should be able to obtain consensus estimates. also EV/EBITDA (or EV/NOPAT, forward estimates) is a more meaningful measure especially since it normalizes for cash and other non-operating assets.. i guess you ought to look at a wide range of metrics before you could conclude that the stock is not fairly valued, though it might look so but no harm in eliminating all possibilities.. also, since cyclicality of cash flows varies by industry type the comparison should be limited to a peerset

edit:
the development is interesting, looks like 2023 was a blip

Last edited:
Soldato

For the second quarter of their 2024 fiscal year, NVIDIA booked $13.5 billion in revenue, which is a 101% increase over the year-ago quarter. The company has, at this point, shaken off the broader slump in technology spending on the back of an explosion in demand for their data center products, and to a lesser extent the latest generation of their consumer GeForce graphics products. As a result, this is a quarter for the record books, as NVIDIA has set new records for everything from revenue to net income.

wZdzJOq.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato

Nvidia announced record revenue $18.120bn for Q3 2023.

Soldato
Nvidia have a huge backlog on AI chips orders , IIRC the talking heads are saying gaming will continue to slide on the importance scale (and prices rise) as supply is used in more profitable markets.

Profit margin for Nvidia is now at 75%

Yet they are releasing the Super range. So Nvidia probably knows something we don't(actually it is quite obvious).

They wouldn't be selling larger chips(or more enabled ones) for less money otherwise.

Last edited:
Soldato
The numbers are indeed eye watering but the expectations even more so. All it will take is a blip in the AI craze the stock will collapse like a house of cards.

Soldato
Now I know why amd can sell CPUs so cheap

They are operating with a 4% gross margin.
Radeon operates with an average gross margin of 16% and Ryzen 4%

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now I know why amd can sell CPUs so cheap

They are operating with a 4% gross margin.
Radeon operates with an average gross margin of 16% and Ryzen 4%

Interesting, client is OEM's, prebuilds, AMD are obviously giving those away to try and compete with Intel in that space.

AMD's client market share is tiny, that chart is also unintentionally, i'm sure, misleading, "Ryzen" isn't solely "Client" and "Radeon" soley "Gaming" the way AMD publish these things is intentionally cryptic, there are Ryzen CPU, APU's and dGPU in "Client" and Ryzen CPU's, APU's and Radeon GPU's in "Gaming" i think Gaming is retail, AMD publish results by segment rather than by product type to hide loss making products, for Client that's CPU's and for Gaming that's dGPU's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom