• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Permabanned
OP
"Problems with the cooling system", that is fans wearing out makes sense, but "accelerated oxidation of soldered joints, which can lead to a failure of the graphics processor or memory chip” is snake-oil salesmen type nonsense.

In fact, heat & cool cycles were what killed all those millions of Nvidia bumbgate parts back in 2008(ish) and that is something normal users and gamers are far more likely to do unless they game 24/7. Even those who leave their PC running idle when not in use and only game a few hours are likely to cause the issue as it's the heating up and then cooling down which stresses solder joints.

Whereas miners will be running 24/7 although aside from GDDR6X which gets crazy hot, their GPU temps are likely to be far lower than gamers. ETH is very memory intensive after all.

At least you could understand that mining would likely wear out the GPU Fans as they are running 80-100% 24hours a day in most cases. The VRAM is sitting there at very high temperatures! 24hours a day, so the thermal paste on these cards often goes quicker and is often shot. These are just some of the verified impacts of the mining on GPUs. Also, some who have slapped watercoolers on to mine have bricked the card.

With "The accelerated oxidation of soldered joints", now I did not participate in any experiments, but perhaps this might be concerned with the design of the electrical resistance of the soldering joints, when they are exposed in air at very high temperatures, like (60% relative humidity) at 105°C for 24hours a day, yearly, likely that would cause the accelerated growth of oxide..

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
LTT pretty much proved that's nothing but FUD being spread by Palit so they can sell more new cards. (YouTube Link)

Well, it's kinda not fully true, he has bills to pay and views to collect ,and will bend over for sponsors,how much did his Sponsors pay him for this? Wouldn't be suprised if he has a mining shed in his garden and claims to never mine. Did not even play one game in the review.

End of the day, we will see if these rumours are true when miners dump their cards in the used market.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Nah,
Question is why would you be so adamant that "mining be killing your GPU performance, frying the memory chips"? Do you have a vested interest by any chance?

No, just believe the warnings to an extent. I have seen enough miners to know them. They prefer to have 20 pieces of 3090s at home mining when 20 gamers are fighting over 1 piece.

Permabanned
OP
While that speaks of their greed, what does it say about their sensibility, or lack thereof, when it comes to treating their golden goose?

Would most of them run it into the ground, or would they take a more cautious approach and try to undervolt and so on, if for no other reason than that way they spend less on effectivity, can buy less PSUs?

With such a ruthless mindset these miners have. This indicates that they would overclock the heck out of the cards for profit, with the End Game of dumping the cards on the used market for gamers to buy at scalped prices to further increase their profits. They will lie about how the card has only been used for 2 weeks etc :cry:.
But sure, you would also find the cautious amateur miner who has a GPU and mined and realised that it was Frying the VRAM, so they then ran it underclocked and took care of its temps, maybe by voiding the warranty. Hopefully that miner would want to keep the card for longer and play games on it as it wouldn't be cool selling a card with voided warranty on to an unsuspecting buyer.

Permabanned
OP
You should probably look into mining a bit more, at least in the sense of what they consider ideal setups. I'm only going on what I've read but from what i understand a lot of miners actually undervolt because it's apparently more efficient (i think they workout hash rate per watt as then they earn more per £ of electricity used). Obviously you'll get the odd miner who won't care about thermals or will treat cards badly but, again from what i understand, they're few and far between.

Also silicon or electronics simply doesn't degrade in the way Plait says, I've never know any silicon or electronic to lose performance, simply stop working because of a faulty cap or mofset, sure. Artifacting on a GPU, errors on a RAM test, crashes because there's not enough voltage on a CPU, sure. But not a degradation of performance.

I see, so you have never heard about burn in on TVs , CPU degradation etc. The AIB has issued warnings , maybe lightly over exaggerated, however others had issued warnings of other issues like fan burn out, thermal paste, burn out.

Permabanned
OP
If its actually 1200 in a store then thats a good price, cause thats cheaper than the rtx3080

4080fe :cry: let's hope he works for NVIDIA. Last rumours I heard were about the 3090Ti.

But let's just assume this GPU actually gets released, there are many things that will set the asking price, like if the performance is a big step up from 3080 or even 3090, is it going to be LHR to stop new mining. All that will set the pricing.

Say it is 40% more performance than a 3080 and also can mine. The miners will go mad again and the card could list for £1800 plus easy.

Back
Top Bottom