• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Great GPU shortage isn't ending anytime soon

Soldato
I hope Intel come in like a boss with a £450 RTX 3070TI and 5 million available on day 1 of release.

I'm so sick of people like Nvidia telling us there are GPU shortages while selling thousands of Crypto miners literally pallets of GPU's at a time.

They could have 10mil units or more, if is profitable to mine on, they will be taken by miners since each GPU they can get their hands on means extra money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Not AFAIK, it's stated that the video is sponsored by World of Tanks and i can't recall anytime that I've seen nice hash being mentioned as a sponsor. Then again the burden of proof isn't on me, it's on you as you made the claim that "it's kinda not fully true, he has bills to pay and views to collect ,and will bend over for sponsors,how much did his Sponsors pay him for this? Wouldn't be suprised if he has a mining shed in his garden and claims to never mine.". Now while i agree that he has bills to pay, everyone does after all, i don't agree that he will bend over for sponsors as you've provided zero evidence of that. You've also provided zero evidence that he has "a mining shed in his garden" so TBH I'm more inclined to believe LTT than some random guy on the internet and company that clearly wants people to buy new cards rather than second hand.

But hey, you don't have to just believe LTT and you don't have to wait until cards arrive on the second hand market. We saw the same thing with the 9 and 10 series cards and it's backed-up by UFD Tech (YT Link), Gamers Nexus (YT Link), and if i could be bothered to look some more probably loads of other people.

Question is why would you be so adamant that "mining be killing your GPU performance, frying the memory chips"? Do you have a vested interest by any chance?

Permabanned
OP
Nah,
Question is why would you be so adamant that "mining be killing your GPU performance, frying the memory chips"? Do you have a vested interest by any chance?

No, just believe the warnings to an extent. I have seen enough miners to know them. They prefer to have 20 pieces of 3090s at home mining when 20 gamers are fighting over 1 piece.

Associate
Nah,

No, just believe the warnings to an extent. I have seen enough miners to know them. They prefer to have 20 pieces of 3090s at home mining when 20 gamers are fighting over 1 piece.
While that speaks of their greed, what does it say about their sensibility, or lack thereof, when it comes to treating their golden goose?

Would most of them run it into the ground, or would they take a more cautious approach and try to undervolt and so on, if for no other reason than that way they spend less on effectivity, can buy less PSUs?

Permabanned
OP
While that speaks of their greed, what does it say about their sensibility, or lack thereof, when it comes to treating their golden goose?

Would most of them run it into the ground, or would they take a more cautious approach and try to undervolt and so on, if for no other reason than that way they spend less on effectivity, can buy less PSUs?

With such a ruthless mindset these miners have. This indicates that they would overclock the heck out of the cards for profit, with the End Game of dumping the cards on the used market for gamers to buy at scalped prices to further increase their profits. They will lie about how the card has only been used for 2 weeks etc :cry:.
But sure, you would also find the cautious amateur miner who has a GPU and mined and realised that it was Frying the VRAM, so they then ran it underclocked and took care of its temps, maybe by voiding the warranty. Hopefully that miner would want to keep the card for longer and play games on it as it wouldn't be cool selling a card with voided warranty on to an unsuspecting buyer.

Soldato
You should probably look into mining a bit more, at least in the sense of what they consider ideal setups. I'm only going on what I've read but from what i understand a lot of miners actually undervolt because it's apparently more efficient (i think they workout hash rate per watt as then they earn more per £ of electricity used). Obviously you'll get the odd miner who won't care about thermals or will treat cards badly but, again from what i understand, they're few and far between.

Also silicon or electronics simply doesn't degrade in the way Plait says, I've never know any silicon or electronic to lose performance, simply stop working because of a faulty cap or mofset, sure. Artifacting on a GPU, errors on a RAM test, crashes because there's not enough voltage on a CPU, sure. But not a degradation of performance.

Permabanned
OP
You should probably look into mining a bit more, at least in the sense of what they consider ideal setups. I'm only going on what I've read but from what i understand a lot of miners actually undervolt because it's apparently more efficient (i think they workout hash rate per watt as then they earn more per £ of electricity used). Obviously you'll get the odd miner who won't care about thermals or will treat cards badly but, again from what i understand, they're few and far between.

Also silicon or electronics simply doesn't degrade in the way Plait says, I've never know any silicon or electronic to lose performance, simply stop working because of a faulty cap or mofset, sure. Artifacting on a GPU, errors on a RAM test, crashes because there's not enough voltage on a CPU, sure. But not a degradation of performance.

I see, so you have never heard about burn in on TVs , CPU degradation etc. The AIB has issued warnings , maybe lightly over exaggerated, however others had issued warnings of other issues like fan burn out, thermal paste, burn out.

Soldato
Burn in on TV's is totally different, burn in isn't a loss of performance, it's a loss of image quality. With older CRT's it was cause by the phosphorous losing its luminescence and with modern OLED/LCD the former is a luminescence degradation, the latter is a stuck pixel, none of which effects the performance as you don't suddenly notice the display running at 14 fps or whatever instead of what it's rated for.

And CPU degradation again doesn't result in a loss of performance, it results in crashes because the software running on it doesn't get a result that makes sense to it. Yes fans dying and TIM going hard is also a thing but that can happen whether you mining on the card or not and is fairly easily fix by anyone who's capable of removing a GPU heatsink, but again not a loss of performance, at least not directly as the silicon throttles because of thermals.

CPU's/GPU's/silicon dont lose performance simply from being used, they may need more voltage to maintain the same clock speeds until the increased voltage eventual breaks something inside resulting in errors, but transistors and the traces connecting them simply don't work like that, they're nothing more than wires and switches, wires and switches don't lose performance they either work or don't work, you may need more force (voltage) to make them work but they don't become less performant.

Soldato
I hope Intel come in like a boss with a £450 RTX 3070TI and 5 million available on day 1 of release.

I'm so sick of people like Nvidia telling us there are GPU shortages while selling thousands of Crypto miners literally pallets of GPU's at a time.

People had the same hope for AMD....

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The "shortage" definitely seems to be improving - cards are now available (and staying available) for ~50% over RRP rather than selling out instantly at 100% over. Second-hand market also seems to be adjusting downwards, e.g. the high street exchange shop is still gradually reducing both it's buying & selling prices.

Obviously 50% over RRP is still not great, but it's a step in the right direction.

Burn in on TV's is totally different, burn in isn't a loss of performance, it's a loss of image quality. With older CRT's it was cause by the phosphorous losing its
luminescence and with modern OLED/LCD the former is a luminescence degradation, the latter is a stuck pixel, none of which effects the performance as you don't suddenly notice the display running at 14 fps or whatever instead of what it's rated for.

And CPU degradation again doesn't result in a loss of performance, it results in crashes because the software running on it doesn't get a result that makes sense to it. Yes fans dying and TIM going hard is also a thing but that can happen whether you mining on the card or not and is fairly easily fix by anyone who's capable of removing a GPU heatsink, but again not a loss of performance, at least not directly as the silicon throttles because of thermals.

CPU's/GPU's/silicon dont lose performance simply from being used, they may need more voltage to maintain the same clock speeds until the increased voltage eventual breaks something inside resulting in errors, but transistors and the traces connecting them simply don't work like that, they're nothing more than wires and switches, wires and switches don't lose performance they either work or don't work, you may need more force (voltage) to make them work but they don't become less performant.

You're wasting your time to be honest; in case you haven't spoken to Sarge before, he's an "expert" on how mining destroys GPUs, despite knowing nothing about mining or how to tweak cards for the best results, who insists on derailing almost every thread in the graphics card forum with his miner-hate to boost his post count for access to the MM so he can get the member's only deals. :p

Soldato
Take the 6600Xt for example, when mining ETH it can be set up to run at 60w and 50 degrees underload, for RVN it`ll be about 60 degrees and 80watts (ERGO will be similar) , both will have the core undervolted. The same card when gaming will be 125watts load and 80 degrees.

Associate
Take the 6600Xt for example, when mining ETH it can be set up to run at 60w and 50 degrees underload, for RVN it`ll be about 60 degrees and 80watts (ERGO will be similar) , both will have the core undervolted. The same card when gaming will be 125watts load and 80 degrees.
That's what I've been saying the whole time.
Would have to see what settings the miner sites recommend but for ETH the core gets underclocked a large amount and undervolted (electricity costs money and miners are greedy).

My only worry aside from fans is for cards which have GDDR6X which runs crazy hot already and ETH loves memory bandwidth.

The thermal cycles for gamers are far worse too: room to 80°C or more for a few hours and then back to room vs a constant 50°C to 60°C. I know which stresses the solder more.

Soldato
That's what I've been saying the whole time.
Would have to see what settings the miner sites recommend but for ETH the core gets underclocked a large amount and undervolted (electricity costs money and miners are greedy).

My only worry aside from fans is for cards which have GDDR6X which runs crazy hot already and ETH loves memory bandwidth.

The thermal cycles for gamers are far worse too: room to 80°C or more for a few hours and then back to room vs a constant 50°C to 60°C. I know which stresses the solder more.

Its why the `go to` cards arnt actually the ultra high end, they cost too much power to run (and get too hot); the 6600XT (32mhash @75watts at the wall)and the older 1660 Super (32mhash at 80watts at the wall) << both on ETH are the eons to get , or the 3060ti/3070

Soldato
Its why the `go to` cards arnt actually the ultra high end, they cost too much power to run (and get too hot); the 6600XT (32mhash @75watts at the wall)and the older 1660 Super (32mhash at 80watts at the wall) << both on ETH are the eons to get , or the 3060ti/3070
The 6600XT no no better efficiency than a 3080 though 32mh @75w @£430 per card x3 vs a 3080 @100mh @220w @£1200 still works out better bang for your buck.

Associate

They won't have any choice on their pricing due to how late they are to market. With Ethereum ending 2nd hand pricing of 3070tis won't be any more than £400 come April next year.

Back
Top Bottom