Poll: The Great OcUK Distro/Derivative Poll III

What are your favourite distrobutions or UNIX derivatives?

• Red Hat

Votes: 160 40.7%
  • Mandrake

Votes: 104 26.5%
  • Suse

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Debian

Votes: 39 9.9%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 66 16.8%
  • Slackware

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • LFS

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Other UNIX (Solaris, IRIX etc)

Votes: 25 6.4%
  • Other, please specifiy

Votes: 21 5.3%

• Total voters
Associate
OpenBSD for my firewall/router. Rock stable, great for the paranoid and pf is the best packet filter I've ever used (no SMP though :( )

Use FreeBSD on the desktop but would switch to NetBSD if they had better (and more up to date) ports.

I just hope that BSD gets similar acceptance/take up to Linux. Different animals but both very worthy.

If only I could get all my fave games working fast and stable on *nix I could ditch Win32.....

Associate
Currently Solaris 9 at home since I picked up a cheapy U10 from Ebay...got an Indy floating around that I haven't found a use for yet too... various RH/Mandrake/SGI boxes to go with the usual Sol 7/8 boxes at work.

Steve

Associate
I've specifyed other, I've use many distros of linux and many versions of those distros but the one I love to use is the SUSE 6.2 pro version. I usually cut the install right down for servers, no x windows, no star office, no games, just the base system, compile utils.... done...... one basic install.

I'm playing with RH8 DL version atm, I might end up reinstalling without the Xwindows system, I realy don't like it. I prefere the prompt, takes me back to the days of DOS 6.22 and 3.11, god were those the days.............

MaW

M

MaW

Harder to put it better than that... I started with Slackware, moved through SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake and Sorcery and ended up with Gentoo, which is heading rapidly for the 'longest-installed distro' award. It's great! Mandrake used to like mucking up upgrades it was supposed to be able to do, but Gentoo didn't even bat an eyelid when I switched to gcc 3.2, even though that did involve recompiling everything since it was in the time before gcc-config.

Not a distro for the impatient though... unless you have an exceptionally fast computer.

1lastime

1lastime

I'm using Mandrake 9.1 at the mo. I've tried Suse 7.2 very good also RH 6.3 didn't get very far!

And yes I still use XP :) (can't live without some games which don't work on Linux)!

Permabanned
Running RedHat 9 in a VMWare virtual machine along with a semi working install of Mandrake 9.

Going to set up another VMWare session to test out Lindows OS4.

Tried Gentoo once but fdisk wouldn't recognise and of the Virtual Disks i had set up.

Man of Honour
Can I change my vote please? I originally went for Mandrake 'cos I liked 9.0 and 9.1, but 9.2 has borked more than it has improved. Never liked the looks of RH, so now I almost exclusively use SUSE 9.0 . Don't know anywhere near enough about Linux to try a hardcore distro like Slack.

M

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Meridian
Can I change my vote please? I originally went for Mandrake 'cos I liked 9.0 and 9.1, but 9.2 has borked more than it has improved. Never liked the looks of RH, so now I almost exclusively use SUSE 9.0 . Don't know anywhere near enough about Linux to try a hardcore distro like Slack.

M

Yeah ... erh No ... soon. I know I've said it for ages but new stickies and restart a new distro poll soon.

Quirix

Q

Quirix

played with Redhat once, but i'm still an XP user till my IDE drive gets here from Amtrack lol

I'll be going to Fedora and updating to Core 2 in april when its released. If i dont like Fedora though I'll go to Redhat used it before and it was nice :) Played with Mandrake but it just doesn't have the same feel as redhat hehe.

Like the look and sounds of Gentoo though, apparently the installation is a bit of a bugger for new linux peeps.

Associate
posted befor but, suse is my true love :D

Tried red hat after I tried suse 6.2 and got confused coz it'd all changed, after confusion came fustration and anger followed by a "give my darn suse disk and I'll spend 3 days updating packages'

Tried mandrake 7 and didn't like the cheesy install GUI nor the boot GUI

finally downloaded suse 8.2 and I love it to bits...... still figuring out the SSL stuff after borking a new secure apache server I'm working on coz I removed openssl and re-started ..... wooops! ..... I aint doing that again!

must admit though..... I once read an article about creating your own custom linux install and that has intregued (SP?) me....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom