• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The growth of IPC at the Intel CPU for 7 years

Test processors from 2011 to 2018 release. On equal terms. It turns out a difference test in the CPU IPC

Perhaps someone will be interested.
My old [email protected] is still going strong. Just shows you how little CPU you actually need for a decent gaming experience.

Looking forward to 13400 and 7600 (non X) more than any other processors. Think there will be some great bang-for-the-buck in the next 6-12 months (and better DDR5 pricing, which already seems to be happening.)

My old [email protected] is still going strong. Just shows you how little CPU you actually need for a decent gaming experience.

Looking forward to 13400 and 7600 (non X) more than any other processors. Think there will be some great bang-for-the-buck in the next 6-12 months (and better DDR5 pricing, which already seems to be happening.)
13400 and 7600 are interesting CPUs. I hope the prices will be adequate after a while.

13400 and 7600 are interesting CPUs. I hope the prices will be adequate after a while.
Yeah, intel already talking about 20% hikes in Q4. And AMD showing $300 (so call that £300, maybe more) for 7600X. I'll wait until mid '23 and see what deals and CPUs are around. No rush, have another 9900k based system that will last me a few years yet. Was just looking to upgrade the 3770k based system if something cheapish comes along.

Yeah, intel already talking about 20% hikes in Q4. And AMD showing $300 (so call that £300, maybe more) for 7600X. I'll wait until mid '23 and see what deals and CPUs are around. No rush, have another 9900k based system that will last me a few years yet. Was just looking to upgrade the 3770k based system if something cheapish comes along.
9900k is a great cpu. I have this CPU but can't use it yet...
It seems to me that 9900k in the future may repeat the history of i7 2600k.

Last edited:
yea I had a 4670k until recently then jumped to a 12700k.

only a few games really needed more than a 4670k but it was nice to go from like 90-100% cpu usage at 60c to around 7% cpu usage at 45c in games.

PC is so much more quiet because of it

Last edited:
yea I had a 4670k until recently then jumped to a 12700k.

only a few games really needed more than a 4670k but it was nice to go from like 90-100% cpu usage at 60c to around 7% cpu usage at 45c in games.

PC is so much more quiet because of it
Yeah, my 3770k system is in Coolermaster Silencio case with 4 large Noctua fans. It's near silent, as I use it as a media PC under the TV.

Any upgrade to it would have to be "cool & quiet" also, which leads me to probably wait for Meteor Lake or jump back to AMD, as Alder Lake - and Raptor Lake especially, going by the leaks - seem a wee bit on the toasty side - and that's coming from someone who also owns a 9900K! :)

+50% IPC over that period? More than I was expecting, so that's interesting.
A 6% increase per generation gets you to over 50% increase in 7 generations, so it's not huge. Clockspeeds haven't really moved significantly during that period, so they've needed more IPC to help drive the performance gains.
I guess the point is nobody writes home about <10% IPC increases compared to prior generation but because they compound, if that pattern is followed over time the the CPUs several generations old will start to show their age.

Arguably when new CPUs are released it would be interesting to see reviews/benchmarks vs older CPUs as well as prior gen, because lots of people will upgrade from older generations. I guess it's too much hassle to run all the benches though.

Ipc is one thing but instruction set is another. 1st gen core series didnt have avx and then avx2 was added to 4th gen and those instructions make a big difference when certain apps used them. Also aes-ni etc. Avx512 already makes good gains in certain situations so maybe the future CPUs will just be a collection of asics?

Back
Top Bottom