The Hustle (2019) - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels gets Gender-Swapped remake.

Soldato
Hi All,

Just seen the new trailer for The Hustle here -

You would think that Hollywood would be a bit more careful with it's "lets remake/reboot a good film and gender swap it" after GhostBusters 3 but apparently not as they've just gone for this, fairly awful looking IMHO, remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which, while it's not an Oscar winner by any means, was a funny story with a lot of heart in the end.

I wonder just how well it'll do :D

Caporegime
Bit skeptical about this, doesn't look quite as cringe worthy as the ghostbusters reboot and there is going to be less sentimental attachment to the original (though I did really like the original).

I wonder how the ending will play out given:
(spoiler tags ref original ending - just in case someone hasn't seen it)
in the original the female mark flipped the con on its head, outsmarted the two blokes and turned out to be a hustler herself. In a sense it was quite a pro-feminist/empowering movie in itself for that reason. Now that they've switched the roles and have two female hustlers targeting a male mark I wonder if they're going to stick to the original and have the (now male) mark outsmart them too??? They seem to have given Anne Hathaway's character a "British" accent so she can play Michael Cain's sophisticated hustler role and Rebel Wilson has Steve Martin's role albeit is Aussie rather than American so perhaps they will have the same twist.

Soldato
Anyone else think this does more harm that benefit for the strive for equality, it just makes women look like they can't come up with anything original.

Commissario
Anyone else think this does more harm that benefit for the strive for equality, it just makes women look like they can't come up with anything original.
He, hehe, hehehehe

You've not paid much attention to the movie industry for the last 100 years or so have you?;)

A gender swapped version of a film is no more different than many of the other ways they've remade older films over the years with a location, mode of transport, time period or similar swaps ;)

Back
Top Bottom