** The iOS10 thread **

Commissario
Rather than have this all mixed up in the WWDC thread, I thought it might be a good idea to keep all the iOS10 stuff together.

It's gone GM. I slapped it on last night and I have to say, I'm quite liking it.

It feels quicker on my 6SPlus than 9.3.5 was and although I'm still getting used to the differences, it's already growing on me nicely. Notifications seem a bit enthusiastic so I'm going to reduce the amount I'm getting from some apps but on the whole, it's a thumbs up from me.

It'll be interesting to see what it does for battery life which I think went downhill a couple of updates ago.

Commissario
OP
There's a link to download the profile which allowed me to get the update in this post.

Battery life for me was significantly improved yesterday over iOS9. I'm not saying it was bad on iOS9 but it went downhill massively a couple of releases ago. I still never ended the day below 50% though and I'm quite a heavy user.

Commissario
OP
Right then.
I never use Apple maps. Never.
I just thought I'd open it to see if it's any different. There a dot on there showing me where my car is parked. Bear in mind that I'm in a hotel, 300 miles from home. I've never been here before.
It was absolutely spot on.
How on earth does it know?

/edit - just seen the above comments. My 6S+ and 9.7" iPad Pro are fine. Not sure what chips they're using.

Commissario
OP
Commissario
OP
Absolutely HATE the lock screen!! Why! Why change the slide to unlock, why not give people the option. This damn Touch ID crap hardly ever works first time. Certainly isn't quicker if that's the intent.
What device are you using? The only time Touch ID doesn't work for me is if my finger is damp. Otherwise it's always instant, far quicker than slide/PIN.

Commissario
OP
Oh and how did it know where I parked my car? :D
That's what I'm trying to find out!
OK, a bit more investigation shows that if you have your phone connected to a car radio using bluetooth, it realises when you disconnect that you've parked. It doesn't need Carplay, it just knows that you're using bluetooth for calls/music and I can only guess that it links that with movement.

So, it detects you've stopped. It detects you've disconnected from bluetooth devices for calls/music and from that, decides that you've parked and drops the appropriate pin in the map.

Quite clever really.

Commissario
OP
It would need to have it to make me switch from Google maps. It has saved me so much time recently.
It indicates here that it does have real-time traffic information. I'm working away from home at the moment so perhaps I'll give it a try on my drive tomorrow.

I do like TomTom though, I've been using it since the very early days on iOS and it just works so well. The live traffic is subscription based and it's always been very accurate. The quarterly map updates are a really good feature.

Commissario
OP
All updated, iOS up to date etc. I remember it being there right after the OS updated, but I've not seen it since.
You don't have any updates in that image. It's still there.

update_all.jpg

Commissario
OP
Remember that if you have iCloud photo sharing turned on, photostream is disabled. It's one or the other, you can't have both.
I have 'Upload to my Photo Stream' on and 'iCloud Photo Sharing'?
See above. It's one or the other, not both.

I never understood photostream anyway.
I don't see the point of photostream now, iCloud photos is much more effective.

Commissario
OP
I don't understand how people are saying it's slow to unlock with iOS10.
Apologies in advance for the portrait video, I don't normally do videos in portrait but it was the best way to do this.

Does it get any quicker than this?

Back
Top Bottom