The joy of being a landlord

No hate, it's called Capitalism.

If they want to make money from their "product" (rental property) then they need to provide an adequate quality of "product".

It is not the responsibility of government (via general taxation) to ensure their continued profit by paying to upgrade their sub-standard product for them.
I dont disagree............. however only to the point that that product is at a similar spec to others in the area. and if the government change the rules and decide that all need to be improved then capitalism swings both ways.

I dont disagree............. however only to the point that that product is at a similar spec to others in the area. and if the government change the rules and decide that all need to be improved then capitalism swings both ways.

I agree, it is unreasonable to expect rental properties to be held to a higher standard than private residence's in the same area.

Why should the government issue grants to landlords allowing them to transfer the cost of upgrading the property they make profit from onto everyone else?

It's bad enough that they effectively transfer the increased cost of living in a "low EPC" property onto the tenants in the first place since it's THEIR heating bills etc.. that suffer, not the LL.

So why should general taxation be used to prop up hobby landlords rather than them having to fix up the property themselves?
I would think its obvious, keeping people housed in affordable efficient homes is more important than envy ideology that makes people jealous someone else might be getting something for free.

Its quite obvious if a landlord spends 1000s to improve the EPC, then its the tenant that will pay that via higher rents, and we already have rents at ridiculous levels. There may also be landlords who dont have the money or means at hand to do it at all, and then would probably have to sell up which reduces property availability on the letting market.

You could apply your argument to owner-occupiers, they have existing schemes.

We in this position due to decades of mismanagement from multiple governments.

Last edited:
I guess we should all be like the way more professional outfit that is the one offered by the Labour MP Jas Athwal.... given his position I am guessing he is the benchmark of landlords to aim for?
His members records show he partly owns 18 properties, that would pretty much put him at the high end of the hobbyist landlord. Hardly the benchmark of a professional landlord, his business interests seem to be daycare.

Back
Top Bottom