The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
You seem to think that doing any work is exploitation. So all work is unfair or underhand? If you don't feel the labour is equal to the value you put in, find someone willing to pay you "fairly" for your time. If you're not happy with your time / money balance, it's on you to find something that pays you more for your time.

A landlord is providing a habitable and safe home for a tenant. Your understanding of general business is lacking. Rent a car out on Turo? You're not being paid for your time, but use of your car. Rent a surf board on a beach on holiday? You're not paying for someone's time, you're paying for the rental of the surfboard. I could list so many that you seem to have totally missed how pricing works.

In a way it is but there are degrees of it. What an employer and employee agree on is a level of pay that both parties are willing to accept for the employer to exploit the employees time and efforts for profit. If labour is equal to value put in and no-one is being exploited then i make a table with another person using equal labour, we sell it, we split the money, deduct costs and what remains is a equal share equal to both parties labour and no-one is being exploited. If i make a table and you sell it for £1000 but after material costs and the agreed wage i accepted are taken away there is £200 remaining and you pocket that for not contributing to making the table then yeah in a way you have exploited my time and labour for your own gain. The world works on this capitalist model and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with capitalism the majority of the time as its a key driver for advancement and innovation however there are some things that shouldnt be exploited, like housing for example. The fundamental basis of capitalism is agreed upon exploitation. Also before your play the ahh communist card, im not, im just demonstrating my point.

Re your example on renting stuff out, both cars and surfboards depreciate in value over time they dont increase, so the rental is to make a profit and cover the depreciation of the asset. A house has done nothing but appreciate in value for decades now. Also in what world do you compare housing, a need, to a car or surfboard, a want.

Soldato
Nail on head.

Zenduri, do you rent or have a mortgage?

Not really sure how this effects anything but i begrudgingly rent while saving for a mortgage and ive been nothing but a model tenant at every turn with maintaining the properties and payment. The landlords i've had though.... not the case

Soldato
The generalised view is yes landlords are in it to make as much profit for themselves, however i have never said all landlord are there to maximise profits and are kicking tenants out on the street to replace them with more profitable tenants... to quote you
sorry if not clear...... i was paraphrasing the general comments in the thread, it wasnt all aimed at you!.

Associate
In a way it is but there are degrees of it. What an employer and employee agree on is a level of pay that both parties are willing to accept for the employer to exploit the employees time and efforts for profit. If labour is equal to value put in and no-one is being exploited then i make a table with another person using equal labour, we sell it, we split the money, deduct costs and what remains is a equal share equal to both parties labour and no-one is being exploited. If i make a table and you sell it for £1000 but after material costs and the agreed wage i accepted are taken away there is £200 remaining and you pocket that for not contributing to making the table then yeah in a way you have exploited my time and labour for your own gain. The world works on this capitalist model and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with capitalism the majority of the time as its a key driver for advancement and innovation however there are some things that shouldnt be exploited, like housing for example. The fundamental basis of capitalism is agreed upon exploitation. Also before your play the ahh communist card, im not, im just demonstrating my point.

Re your example on renting stuff out, both cars and surfboards depreciate in value over time they dont increase, so the rental is to make a profit and cover the depreciation of the asset. A house has done nothing but appreciate in value for decades now. Also in what world do you compare housing, a need, to a car or surfboard, a want.
You realise an employer, employs an employee to make the employer money right? Your post is absolute nonsense, your employed to do a job, you get paid to do the job what your employer makes from you doing this job is nothing new, its how the system works.

There is no exploitation, you do the job get paid, nothing else is any of your business, because it's not your business it's your employers.

Man of Honour
Except during Covid, where car values increased, some significantly.

Why did they increase?
Because supply could not keep up with demand.

Now where else have we seen that situation, except this time for decades rather than just a couple of years.....

Soldato
You realise an employer, employs an employee to make the employer money right? Your post is absolute nonsense, your employed to do a job, you get paid to do the job what your employer makes from you doing this job is nothing new, its how the system works.

There is no exploitation, you do the job get paid, nothing else is any of your business, because it's not your business it's your employers.
Non profit organizations......

I think you are looking at the term exploitation as in exploiting migrant workers for low wage. Which isnt the point im getting at and i dont think there is much point continuing to explain this over and over and over again

Soldato
Except during Covid, where car values increased, some significantly.

Why did they increase?
Because supply could not keep up with demand.

Now where else have we seen that situation, except this time for decades rather than just a couple of years.....

And they are now coming down in price as the supply chain issue is easing. Lets take a once in a hundred year event and compare it to 40years + of increasing house prices :cry: Also land /property has always been shown to increase in valueove r hundred of years so im not sure where the point is with your argument? Again a car is a want in a lot of cases its not a necessity. You can live easily without a car you find it bloody hard to live without a home.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
And they are now coming down in price as the supply chain issue is easing. Lets take a once in a hundred year event and compare it to 40years + of increasing house prices :cry:

Also land /property has always been shown to increase in value over hundred of years so im not sure where the point is with this? Also again a car is a want in a lot of cases its not a necessity. You can live easily without a car you find it bloody hard to live without a home.
Yes, they have come down because supply has caught up with demand.

This has not happened in housing in the UK, certainly not in the last 50 years, so prices will continue to increase because the demand is still there.

Land will only ever increase in value because there is a finite amount of it - with a few very small exceptions we cannot simply make more land, so expect its value to gradually increase.

I'm not sure you have a particularly good grasp on this subject to be honest.

Soldato
I think you are looking at the term exploitation as in exploiting migrant workers for low wage. Which isnt the point im getting at and i dont think there is much point continuing to explain this over and over and over again
Non profit organizations......
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.

As for non profits, I'm not sure you've ever looked at non profits out there...

Soldato
:cry: As usual its turned into the spiderman meme everybody pointing fingers at each other but saying "you dont understand" when in reality none of us know what the other does or doesnt understand and its gone so far off topic.

People will only understand what they want to understand to match or make their viewpoint, myself included to some degree.

Soldato
This has not happened in housing in the UK, certainly not in the last 50 years, so prices will continue to increase because the demand is still there.

Land will only ever increase in value because there is a finite amount of it - with a few very small exceptions we cannot simply make more land, so expect its value to gradually increase.

I'm not sure you have a particularly good grasp on this subject to be honest.
My personal opinion is yes we do need rentals but these should be gov owned rental properties not privately owned. I dont think rental properties should be a private asset. Sadly the markets ruined, the gov is ****, landlords both corporate and private have flooded the markets. Nothing will ever change as a huge housing price correction is needed and if that happens then basically the entire country goes bankrupt overnight as our countries wealth is propped up on a ****** housing market.
Did i say gov rentals need to be poverty blocks/projects? You can have rental properties that are nice homes and gov owned if the gov decided to build these homes. Which they wont

I think im well aware of the sell off of LHA homes in the 80's and the lost housing stock to the private market which was wasnt replaced. The abundence of corporate and private landlords snapping up multiple properties for profit reducing the options for buyers and pushing prices up due to supply and demand. The lack of action for government to put any house building policy in place for private builds and for not offering gov built and managed rentals. The housing developers that drip feed what few properties do get built, into the market, so they can prop up the prices without flooding the market and lowering house prices.

Lets not forget the crux of the hatred for landlords by renters, the fact that many could maintain a mortgage comfortably for LESS than they are paying in rent (regardless of if the rent is market rate or under), however due to increasingly being priced out as house prices increase more and more thanks to a lack of housing stock or finding it hard to save due to extortionate rents they are essentially trapped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not to "some degree". Completely!
I'm pro housing reform and sensible rents but i can see both sides. I think i made that clear with bigmike20vt and the flat for his son, which he is currently renting out.

Ill check back in another 10/15 pages i think and see where we are in the discussion then :cry:

Soldato
we are about (well in the next few months) to look into renting out my grans old house- she passed away about 15 years ago but her and my dad had bought the house in the mid/late 90's - she was getting on in years and the council wanted to move her out into a caravan while they did some cosmetic work to the house so we decided as a family to purchase the house to avoid all the upheavel my gran would have faced.

the wife and i lived in it for about 6 years before we bought our current house. house has been sat empty for a couple of years now as we couldn't afford to do it up to the level we'd be happy renting it out but that's slowly been sorted. it was a bit tatty and in need of a good refresh but we kinda put up with it when we were living there - i'd not expect someone paying rent to have to put up with the little niggles though so we've been slowly, to save money, tidying it up as best we can.
we will 100% be renting it out in order to make our own lives as comfortable as possible while also, hopefully, making someone else reasonably comfortable living in a nice, well maintained home at a sensible rent level - we're not rich by any stretch of the imagination but equally aren't poor. the income from the rent will be used to over pay our own mortgage as much as possible while also setting some aside for upkeep of the house so it remains somewhere nice for people to live in.

we decided rather than selling the house when we moved out that it would make more sense to keep it as an 'investment' so that our own kids have something to fall back on/sell/whatever they wish to do with it in later years. i'm certainly not out to shaft anyone but equally i need to, where possible, make my own life easier.

should i feel bad about that? guilty? well i bloody well won't be - i wasn't brought up wealthy, my dad worked all his life (still does a bit now even at 81!) and my mum also still works (she's 77!) my parents struggled financially for many, many years when i was younger - my dad worked mainly as a joiner but did anything he could when there wasn't much work about in his trade, my mum was a hairdresser but arthritis in her hands put an end to that so she started to clean peoples houses - so we're not talking big money family here, we're talking proper working class, struggling to make ends meet.
but they 'did without' and scrimped and saved so they could have something to pass on to me and my brother. damn boomers had it so easy i guess.

does something need to be done about the rental market - absolutely. but there's a lot of misplaced anger in this thread.

anyways, i've lost the jist of this thread a bit but i'm trying to work out if i'm a scum bag parasite or a white knight??

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
i begrudgingly rent while saving for a mortgage and ive been nothing but a model tenant at every turn with maintaining the properties and payment. The landlords i've had though.... not the case
That's why I charge extortionate rental prices, the tenants must pay for my exceptional landlordsmanship :D

Back
Top Bottom