The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
If the lock has been changed multiple times then you should have been informed and requested a spare key sent to you.

Sorry, this fault falls on you. Not the agent.

Last edited:
Associate
If the lock has been changed multiple times then you should have been informed and requested a spare key sent to you.

Sorry, this fault falls on you. Not the agent.
What a load of rubbish. Yes, he could have avoided the problem if he had a spare key. However, to state that the agent who he pays to take care of the property is not at fault for failing to bring the right keys when requested to a pre-arranged appointment is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really, A landlord supplies a product there is a demand for. Theres too many people living beyond their means an refusing to cut back. There are people at both ends though, Yes there are people who have nothing and society should be helping.
And there are those who have nothing, Apart from designer clothes, Sky TV mobile phones and Faliraki holidays that need to learn how to cut back to save up.

My reply was to do with the Landlord being blamed for people not being able to save up for a deposit and the landord being so wealthy he can afford TWO houses.........

I'm not going to deny that there are people living beyond their means of course, but I do think this is massively over hyped in the media to further encourage the "US VS THEM!" mentality which keeps this country so divided.

It just baffles me that we can consider ourselves first world country when there are millions of people living below the relative poverty line in this country, children going to school with empty stomachs, people barely eating all day just to feed their children, people having no other option other than to live on the streets or steal the necessities to get by day to day.

My original post was slightly tongue in cheek, i'm not bemoaning anyone who has worked hard enough and had the facilities both mentally and support network wise to be able to afford two homes (I'm hoping to do this myself before too long!), it's just when you hear how "hard landlords have got it," it's tough to feel sympathy when there's people out there in this first world, developed country that are literally scraping by day to day.

Anyway, rambling now, i'm sure there a lots of frustrations to being a landlord, and everything is relative anyway so it's impossible to compare one persons sufferings/frustrations to another.

I hope everyone has a good day :)

Soldato
Megabucks? I keep telling myself its a nest-egg. I'm not so sure, my wife is keen to get rid of it. We also haven't raised the rent in 6 years and it was already very affordable/cheap back then.

One things for sure. I can repaint the property with my bloody eyes closed now. I must have repainted that entire 2 bed room flat around 10 times now.
Would have surely gained on the actual price of it since then though right?
With the increased red tape and interest rates have to think of it as a proper long term investment now.

Soldato
What a load of rubbish. Yes, he could have avoided the problem if he had a spare key. However, to state that the agent who he pays to take care of the property is not at fault for failing to bring the right keys when requested to a pre-arranged appointment is ridiculous.
They should have a spare key in the first place, especially when the locks have been changed multiple times. That's my point.

My property is rented out but I have a key myself and if the locks are changed. I ask for a spare key, its covering my own back at least.

Soldato
It just baffles me that we can consider ourselves first world country when there are millions of people living below the relative poverty line in this country, children going to school with empty stomachs, people barely eating all day just to feed their children, people having no other option other than to live on the streets or steal the necessities to get by day to day.

Im sorry to be that guy but we have more people in poverty dying of type 2 diabetes than them dying of starvation.

Still isnt good either way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im sorry to be that guy but we have more people in poverty dying of type 2 diabetes than them dying of starvation.

Still isnt good either way.

We could go down a massive rabbit hole here, but all roads lead to massive lack of education, scummy marketing tactics from corporations etc. etc.

This may sound bad, but half of the population are below the average level of intelligence, no matter how high up that chart you get, you've still got the bottom half that you need to account for :cry:

Associate
Would have surely gained on the actual price of it since then though right?
With the increased red tape and interest rates have to think of it as a proper long term investment now.
Yeah, it's gained a fair amount. We do have a mortgage against the rest though and with the aforementioned red tape, it's going to get "interesting".

For all the negative press out there around landlords there are good ones. People quickly forget this, they also forget that its fulfilling a need, some people don't want a mortgage or the responsibility that's involved with owning a property. I like to think I'm a good landlord, the rent as I mentioned in my previous post hasn't changed since the tenants moved in 6 years ago, under-priced for a 2 bed at the time as well. Our hope was to eventually land a couple/person/family who prefer renting long-time and it appears we did.

In regards to the property; its a clean, well-managed building with weekly cleaning outside/inside, the gardens are maintained by a landscape business we employ. I recently installed a new boiler back in 2020 and everything is covered, boiler, electrics, gas. If they have a problem they have all the numbers for support as well as our personal mobiles. I think the fact that they are still with us after 6 years is a testament to how well we look after the property. This is all self-managed, we do the contracts ourselves too, we also own the free-hold with the rest of the Management company we set up (bought it for £1 believe it or not!) One things for sure, you are investing in and providing a service, I try my best to make that as secure as possible which involves looking after the money (house) and providing good customer support right?

Now, I could tell you some stories about previous tenants. There's a reason I've painted that damn flat over 10 times... oh boy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've come 500 miles to inspect my home I have let out. And the agent doesn't have the right keys. That's three days and a lot of money wasted. Travel, hotel bills, meals.

Tell me about the joys of being a landlord again, someone, please? You know, how it's the route to megabucks?
*For all those priced out the housing market due to housing stock hoarding*

OP... Oh noes... In other news....

Last edited:
Soldato
The house is in Luton, not London.
3rd lock on the front door required I think.

OP this is a disappointing sob story. Can you provide more details of your distress? Was the agent apathetic to the point of enraging you? Are you going to have to visit again soon and will that be really inconvenient for you?

Back
Top Bottom