The London Underground

Permabanned
Is amazing!

Having had a day in London this week doing sightseeing things it never ceases to amaze me what a fantastic piece of engineering this really is. Not only from the actual tubes themselves but also the networks of tunnels linking different platforms at the same stations.

And how sad is it that something that seemed to be built with ease in the mid 1800's takes years and years from conception to completion these days (Crossrail)

Permabanned
OP
The LU is the largest underground rail system in the world.
I like how, anywhere in the West End and the City seems to be criss-crossed north to south and east to west so you can get anywhere with one change of train and you're never far from a station.

In contrast, the Toronto subway is one long line from east to west and another in a long U shape that goes downtown.

It's a real shame that we don't seem able to afford to build any more. Major cities like Manchester and Birmingham would benefit from sub-surface lines at the very least.

Permabanned
OP
definitely. i want smash every idiot in the face that gets on at covent garden and gets off at leicester square :mad:
the last carriage is still in one station when the driver reaches the next
Although I know you're exaggerating I also know that it's not far off the truth. I walked it on tuesday and it isn't far at all.

Permabanned
OP
Not sure whether it's on purpose or not but the trains themselves seem to do a good job of pushing cool air through the tunnels and up into the stations.

It seemed that way anyhow!

Permabanned
OP
I would love to go on a tour of all the old stations. I think they used to do it but stopped now.

Anyone got any good photo galleries of disused stations?
There are several sites which I've spents hours reading through before, although I can't provide a link ATM. I've also got a very good book on the disused stations.

It's always amazed me how there is such a big gap between KX/SP and Farringdon in what is surely a densely populated area.

Permabanned
OP
I'm sure I'll never live this down but I'll admit that I'm the proud owner of all of the Video 125 Drivers Eye View DVD's of the LU. If you're interesting in this kind of thing it makes fantastic viewing.

If you're not I'm sure it's like watching paint dry!

Permabanned
OP
i guess, but there's not really that much there, just gray's inn road, which has plenty of access by bus
kings cross - farringdon is only a 15 minute walk anyway

having a look at the 'real' map is quite interesting
http://solo2.abac.com/themole//geo_tubemap.gif
I'd argue that that map isn't wholly accurate as far as Farringdon goes because the station is right on the curve, with the FCC lines continuing south. It makes it look closer to KX than it is.

But I'm not here to start a fight :p

Permabanned
OP
I think this explains why it was such a long walk from the tube entrance in Trafalgar Square through tunnels to the Northen Line platforms of Charing Cross station!

Permabanned
OP
Thats about four hours you give them to do to do engineering work. Honestly, do you think that that suggestion was really worth making? Four hours?!!!

Back
Top Bottom