The MacBooks are out!

Man of Honour
Why did you have to tell me, I'm skint at the moment and really want one now! They are just so cool and the new spec is pretty good. :)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Not bad at all. Interesting looking keyboard and a nice range of options to change the spec too.

Soldato
IMGP0556.jpg

:D :D :D :D

Soldato
2.0GHz Core Duo
512MB Ram (I will upgrade myself)
60GB Hard Drive
White (I wasn't keen on the black)

£773 with student discount :D

For £500 more I could have got a Macbook Pro but there don't seem to be a great many benefits.

Associate
OP
punky_munky said:
2.0GHz Core Duo
512MB Ram (I will upgrade myself)
60GB Hard Drive
White (I wasn't keen on the black)

£773 with student discount :D

For £500 more I could have got a Macbook Pro but there don't seem to be a great many benefits.

Dude, how much cheaper will doing the RAM upgrade yourself be? The fact that they are doing 2 sticks of 256 (making the 512) means you have to buy two more sticks instead of just adding an extra one like in the iBooks. It will still be cheaper though but not by as much I dont think. You going to the full 2Gb? :D

And yes not much point in paying for the 15" pro other than the bigger screen and better graphics, nearly the same specs.

Soldato
I'm using Adium with a custom theme.

That Acer monitor is running off a Mac Mini through a DVI --> VGA adapter. It's a decent enough picture for the price. It doesn't seem all that much smaller than the 20" Cinema display and for £170 I'm more than happy with my lot.

I haven't looked into the RAM pricing yet. Do you know if the RAM has to be done in pairs? I'll probably go for 2*512MB, 2GB is a bit OTT for my needs.

Associate
OP
punky_munky said:
I'm using Adium with a custom theme.

That Acer monitor is running off a Mac Mini through a DVI --> VGA adapter. It's a decent enough picture for the price. It doesn't seem all that much smaller than the 20" Cinema display and for £170 I'm more than happy with my lot.

I haven't looked into the RAM pricing yet. Do you know if the RAM has to be done in pairs? I'll probably go for 2*512MB, 2GB is a bit OTT for my needs.

Thanks dude I think I might get two of those monitors for my G5. As for the RAM I am assuming they will have to be pairs as all the upgrades on the Apple site are in pairs (2*512Mb or 2*1Gb). Looks to me like you will be saving about a tenner (excluding delivery) if you order two sticks of 512 from OCUK. But then you can sell the sticks you took out of the MacBook and get some cash back, ace.

Soldato
punky_munky said:
Do OcUK sell laptop memory? I can't see any... or is it just regular ddr?
The new MacBook takes the same memory as the MacBook Pro range. The base model is: "512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two SO-DIMMs"

A 512MB stick will set you back about £50, a 1GB stick about £120. If you're after 2GB you can buy two sticks separately for a total of £240, sell the two 256MB sticks (I assume it's two sticks from the technical specifications) together for about £40 and save £150 over getting the RAM upgrade through Apple :)

Back
Top Bottom