The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
A hostile take over is attempting buy something that is not up for sale against the wishes of the owners. That is precisely what they are wanting to do.

But the owners are the Glazers and they can't be forced to sell because they're the shareholders. There simply can't be a hostile takeover in this circumstance. They can be aggressive in trying to force the Glazers to sell, but they can't force them to do so.

Soldato
But the owners are the Glazers and they can't be forced to sell because they're the shareholders. There simply can't be a hostile takeover in this circumstance. They can be aggressive in trying to force the Glazers to sell, but they can't force them to do so.

A hostile takeover happens when one company (called the acquiring company or "acquirer") sets its sights on buying another company (called the target company or "target") despite objections from the target company's board of directors. A hostile takeover is the opposite of a friendly takeover, in which both parties to the transaction are agreeable and work cooperatively toward the result.

Acquiring companies that pursue a hostile takeover will use any number of tactics to gain ownership of their target. These include making a tender offer directly to shareholders or engaging in a proxy fight to replace the target company's management. To defend itself against the acquirer, a target company can also deploy a variety of strategies. Some of the more colorfully named tactics are the Pac-Man defense, the crown-jewel defense, and the golden parachute.

Don
The Glazers are both the board and the shareholders, which is the point @Martynt74 is getting at. When the Glazers bought Utd, that was a hostile takeover. The Utd board were against the sale (although a pay rise from the Glazers changed Gill's mind on that) and advised the shareholders to reject the offer however the Glazers were able to ram their takeover through because the Glazers agreed a deal directly with the major shareholders, the two horse racing guys namely.

Soldato
A hostile take over is attempting buy something that is not up for sale against the wishes of the owners. That is precisely what they are wanting to do.
If they succeed, they will have had to buy sharesa directly from the Glazers.
Explain to me how that will be possible if the Glazers don't want to sell them?
Ergo - if they manage to buy them, it hasn't been a hostile takeover, because the directors have willingly sold their own shares.

An actual hostile takeover is only possible if the majority of shares are held not by the board, so you can indeed purchase the business against their wishes.

Soldato
United in complete disarray. There are problems all over the pitch and in all parts of the club. But it's of no surprise or at least it should be of no surprise.

10 new players... but of course the owners know better than the supposed god father of modern football.

A long road ahead.

Soldato
How much did he pay you to write that lol. Let's not get carried away.

It's a pretty widely used statement in the media, it's on Wikipedia.

Rangnick is regarded as the "godfather" of modern German football.[113]

Rangnick is credited with developing Gegenpressing,[9] whereby the team, after losing possession, immediately attempts to win back possession, rather than falling back to regroup. His sides have been noted for their pressing and high attacking output, as well as for popularising zonal marking.[10][11] He is credited for influencing Thomas Tuchel, Julian Nagelsmann, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Jürgen Klopp, among others.[12][13]

Then if we also look at what he did in his senior management roles it surely shows that he knows s thing or two about how to run a club. Way more than the MUFC structure knows.

I'd say the whole Rangnick episode provides a good example of what's wrong with the club.

Caporegime
suddenly godfather of modern football has changed to godfather of modern German football ;) Also that quote comes from goal.com who claim he is widely regarded as that with no references of any kind.

I know he is a big forefather of gegenpressing but claiming he's suddenly the godfather of modern football is one hell of stretch.

Soldato
suddenly godfather of modern football has changed to godfather of modern German football ;) Also that quote comes from goal.com who claim he is widely regarded as that with no references of any kind.

I know he is a big forefather of gegenpressing but claiming he's suddenly the godfather of modern football is one hell of stretch.

Yes that's fair enough, it doesn't make much difference to my original point though. He might as well be an actual god compared to the Glazers. And yes I know that the Glazers aren't working as directors of football but surely you see the point I'm trying to make. We brought in an expert who told us the truth so we quickly got rid.

Soldato
It's a pretty widely used statement in the media, it's on Wikipedia.

Rangnick is regarded as the "godfather" of modern German football.[113]

Rangnick is credited with developing Gegenpressing,[9] whereby the team, after losing possession, immediately attempts to win back possession, rather than falling back to regroup. His sides have been noted for their pressing and high attacking output, as well as for popularising zonal marking.[10][11] He is credited for influencing Thomas Tuchel, Julian Nagelsmann, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Jürgen Klopp, among others.[12][13]

Then if we also look at what he did in his senior management roles it surely shows that he knows s thing or two about how to run a club. Way more than the MUFC structure knows.

I'd say the whole Rangnick episode provides a good example of what's wrong with the club.
As you can see from this video the Dutch we’re using the press a decade before Ragnick started in managemen. The Dutch in 74 were an awesome unit and were unlucky to lose to Germany in the Final of the World Cup.

https://youtu.be/g23EeNQfpwg

Soldato
As a fan - just need to suck it up for now - Manager needs time and signings.

There is no quick fix here - if the manager want to play his own way, with his own signings, then that's going to take 12- 18 months.

Ronaldo needs to either suck it up and knuckle down, or just walk..... The sulking, stropping on Saturday was disgraceful from a player of his standing in the game.

It's fine to be frustrated/annoyed but stropping around, throwing your arms up and huffing around is beyond a joke.

The whole squad attitude is rotten - no effort, no commitment, no leadership - big big issues for the manager to sort out.

Man of Honour
then that's going to take 12- 18 months
I think it's going to take longer than that. What we do need to do however is stick with the manager and not just swap and change to hide the real issues. I think Rangnick highlighted a lot which is wrong with the club.

I also don't think Neville banging on about how the Glazers should jump on a plane is helping, that won't magically fix the issues.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I finally got around to watching the highlights of the 4-0 loss to Brentford and it wasn't anything like as bad I I thought it would be.

DDG gifted them 2 goals and probably should have been far better placed for the 3rd. 4th goal was just a perfect breakaway goal against a team chasing and committing lots of players to attack.

I didn't watch the game so I assume our performance was crap but their xG was 1.4. The scoreline flattered them massively.

I'm not saying we don't have a mountain to climb but it wasn't like they took us to pieces. We committed suicide inside the first half an hour.

We ain't getting top 4 this season barring a miracle and another 3 players incoming before the window slams shut but I still maintain that we need to give him until at least Christmas before we draw any conclusions about the manager.

I just hope that we get a few more signings, sack off Ronaldo and start putting some results down.

Back
Top Bottom