The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
Season has rolled round quickly but can't say I'm filled with much hope. Our club is still a mess. Apparently Martial is injured for Sunday and if Ten Hag had any nuts he'd play Garnacho ahead of Ronaldo. If Ronaldo has asked to leave I'd pay his flight to whoever wants him. We need a clean break from this nonsense even if it makes the team weaker in the short term. Sick of indulging players who don't want to play for the shirt. Hrrrumph

If there was someone willing to buy Ronaldo for even a token amount he would be gone already. There simply isn't. I assume that any club that he would want to go to either can't afford the wages he wants or simply doesn't think he is worth the hassle.

Soldato
If there was someone willing to buy Ronaldo for even a token amount he would be gone already. There simply isn't. I assume that any club that he would want to go to either can't afford the wages he wants or simply doesn't think he is worth the hassle.
No club in the champs league needs him or is silly enough to pay his wages. Think you lot are stuck with him tbh

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Tbf, at least with Ronaldo, whenever he's on the pitch he absolutely 100% wants to win and bang in the goals, whether he's in a huff with management or not.

I'm not at all surprised there was dressing room drama last season, you could see it on the pitch....the likes of Ronaldo and Fernandes rolling their eyes in exasperation as Captain Slabhead concedes another howler. You just can't have a happy dressing room when your captain is having such an absolute mare of a season.

Soldato
Tbf, at least with Ronaldo, whenever he's on the pitch he absolutely 100% wants to win and bang in the goals, whether he's in a huff with management or not.

I'm not at all surprised there was dressing room drama last season, you could see it on the pitch....the likes of Ronaldo and Fernandes rolling their eyes in exasperation as Captain Slabhead concedes another howler. You just can't have a happy dressing room when your captain is having such an absolute mare of a season.

Hard to see it being any different this season. Top 4 will be a miracle.

Let's try to be positive, miiracles do happen.

Caporegime
Hard to see it being any different this season. Top 4 will be a miracle.

Let's try to be positive, miiracles do happen.

I think personally all predictions are worth nothing. Bar Liverpool and City the rest is all up for grabs. The amount of people who thought United had a decent window last season but look at what happened. Spurs had a tiny window and ended up top 4. Arsenal spent the most and ended up 5th.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think personally all predictions are worth nothing. Bar Liverpool and City the rest is all up for grabs. The amount of people who thought United had a decent window last season but look at what happened. Spurs had a tiny window and ended up top 4. Arsenal spent the most and ended up 5th.

Yeah, there will be some surprises for sure. The biggest unknown is Arsenal for sure this season. They could do really well or they could crumble.

Soldato

The only thing we can go on is whether teams have addressed the weaknesses that were evident last season.

One big thing for United will be that we will now see if it was the managers being crap previously or whether it was (is) the players. Combination of both obviously but let's see to what degree.

Soldato
Want to see Rabiot and Garner/Eriksen/VDB starting in the middle. An area that’s been neglected for years now

I didn’t bother watching the first game as I knew it’d be the same story and realised how boring it is :D

Soldato

An article on Rugby coaching here but he touches on United and also many of the factors he says you need for a good team (culture and grit) are definitely missing at MUFC today. As plenty of people have said, it all stems from the top. The panic and muddled strategies in the boardroom are replicated on the pitch.

Soldato
Want to see Rabiot and Garner/Eriksen/VDB starting in the middle. An area that’s been neglected for years now

I didn’t bother watching the first game as I knew it’d be the same story and realised how boring it is :D

VdB didn't do much at Everton and hasn't ever shown anything to say we're missing out on anything, perhaps he's just not suited to the EPL? Time will tell. Maybe ETH will be able to fit him into a position where he will excel.

A fair few people are saying we need Garner but is it a good idea to put someone relatively inexperienced into the team when it's performing so badly? Clearly Forest must have played well to get promoted, this is the opposite of a team finishing the season with their lowest points tally in recent history.

It must be a pretty toxic place to be right now. Maybe I'm wrong and he will do really well. Recent history shows that all players decline in performance when they play for United.

fez

fez

Caporegime
VdB didn't do much at Everton and hasn't ever shown anything to say we're missing out on anything, perhaps he's just not suited to the EPL? Time will tell. Maybe ETH will be able to fit him into a position where he will excel.

He excelled being a number 10 and around the forward line at Ajax. He scored quite a few goals for them finishing moves. His issue is that he wants to be playing one touch passing in little triangles and we aren't even close to doing that currently. I think he will struggle to get into the side much for quite a while.

A fair few people are saying we need Garner but is it a good idea to put someone relatively inexperienced into the team when it's performing so badly? Clearly Forest must have played well to get promoted, this is the opposite of a team finishing the season with their lowest points tally in recent history.

Desperation basically. People love the idea of a nice neat solution to the problem. Perhaps he will get some game time but hes clearly not a generational talent that is forcing his way into the side so unless EtH thinks hes ready he will not get a look in and when he does it will be as a bit part player. We need something better than Fred and McTominay now, not in 6 months time.

It must be a pretty toxic place to be right now. Maybe I'm wrong and he will do really well. Recent history shows that all players decline in performance when they play for United.

I don't know. I don't think its particularly toxic right now. Who knows really but I think we need to make at least one more signing in CM, hopefully 2 and then we need to win some games and start to see the kernels of the way EtH wants to play emerge in full-speed PL games against decent opposition. Games like Brighton will happen this season. We just need to be happy with the shoots of something better and the understanding that things will take time and won't be smooth sailing.

We also need to remember that the first half of the Brighton game was a bit of a nightmare and its unlikely EtH will play that false malarky again. He learned a lot from that half. We also could have drawn/won that game (or lost by more goals before the usual suspects jump in). Rashford should have scored and so should Fernandes.

Soldato
It would be great if EtH was as canny as Jose and sent out that 11 last week to expose how inadequate the squad is however I have my doubts that he isn't currently a bunny with 20,000 lumens reflecting off his retina. The problem with the Man United job is that you have no grace period. If anything it ended after the Liverpool pre-season game. That was the high point ang things quickly resorted to the equilibrium set by OGS and RR. I really think he has to be ruthless and the club accept that it might get worse before it gets better. The problem he has is that his philosophy on how to play cannot be implemented with this squad because
1. They aren't technically good enough
2. Bad habits have formed and are ingrained
3. The dressing room mentality is not a winning one

I also think he has to show the fans he is in control. We had good early vibes but this weeks fiasco has undermined him massively. He either has to sell an untouchable or bench some senior pro's - the danger with that is that it risks backfiring and a few horrible results but we haven't had the reset that the club needs.

Feels like time has slowed with respect to being a united supporter :(

Soldato
I think a mid table finish or even a relegation battle will be the only thing that can reset the club. Anything to get rid of the Glazers and much of the current squad, new signings not included. Start from the bottom and get the club playing and having an actual vision.

to be fair I would welcome a relegation battle, might inject some spice into the players. or not.

Back
Top Bottom