US: The Mandalorian

Soldato
Likely because their content is locked up in deal with other services in the UK. No doubt there are break clauses which are conveniently around the UK launch date.

That said, they also own FOX and ESPN so they do have broadcast options over there.

Caporegime
Likely because their content is locked up in deal with other services in the UK. No doubt there are break clauses which are conveniently around the UK launch date.

That said, they also own FOX and ESPN so they do have broadcast options over there.
I believe they're offering a deal with D+, ESPN, Nat Geo, ABC and Fox content for one price. With the amount of sports ESPN shows and the sheer weight of the other content it's going to dwarf Netflix I reckon.

Soldato
**deleted post quote removed**

Yeap, as per my earlier post I was trying to find any legal way to view this when it's released, and other than moving to a Disney+ country, there just isn't one. So people aren't going to just wait for the UK to eventually get D+ (same with other countries worldwide), they'll find any other way to view it, losing Disney millions in revenue. Disney must know this so is the cost of not releasing D+ lower than the "rights cost" needed to distribute D+ in these countries?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I posted the reason earlier in the thread. Their other content is locked up in deals with other providers so they can't launch in the UK until those deals expire. Content tends to be sold on a country by country basis so for example Sky might have the rights for X content in the UK but Netflix may have the rights in France, traditional media rights deals are a complete mess.

Next to no one is going to subscribe to D+ in the UK if it only has the Mandalorian on it. They would have done the math on the cost of launching in the US only vs waiting for their content to be available in the rest of the world and we know what they chose.

Soldato
How is it short sighted if 99.9% of your content is locked into deals elsewhere?

let’s face it you were not going to subscribe to D+ if the mandalorian was the only content on the service. You’d just get it illegally anyway.

Soldato
let’s face it you were not going to subscribe to D+ if the mandalorian was the only content on the service. You’d just get it illegally anyway.

That show was the only reason I was intending to subscribe but i'm probably in a minority there. I was going to wait til December and binge over xmas.

Soldato
How is it short sighted if 99.9% of your content is locked into deals elsewhere?

I think Disney has done the Maths and figured that the cost of breaking all those deals vs the profit from releasing the full D+ platform on day one means it just isn't viable to break those deals.

Soldato
I really disliked TLJ but not going to let it spoil 30+ years of being a SW fan. I really liked TFA despite being a re-run of ANH, Rogue One was superb and Solo was passable but i've rewatched a few times and like it a little more each time...aside from Solo himself :D

I consider Mandalorian the big SW event of this year and the movie i'll see with zero expectations.

Soldato
Isn’t that also ‘illegal’ (civil) because effectively in breach of contract. I suppose it could technically be fraud because you are lying about your location in order to get the service.

Back
Top Bottom