The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, I have been using a Gillete Fusion for years now, probably since I started shaving...

When I first started to shave(years and years ago) my skin never really used to get irritated, I would just shave normally and apply some Nivea balm after and hey presto no rash or uncomfortable feeling.

Fast forward to now, Shaving with the same Fusion(not the same blade:rolleyes:) and applying aftershave balm just doesn't cut it anymore.

Firstly, my stubble is so tough I have to make multiple passes over most areas which I think irritates some areas of my skin and secondly I'm never able to achieve a close shave at all. I use the Gillete Fusion gel, is this stuff generally crap?

Usually in the same area on my neck, where the stubble seems to grow back the next day, I get a rash which isn't very comfortable...

My method of shaving is.....:
-(sometimes) wash face with a facial scrub and hot/warm water
-apply gel
-shave(I try not to go against the direction of the stubble)
-wash face with cold water
-apply balm

Any tips on what I can do...I was thinking of ditching the Fusion and trying some bog standard disposables(recommend me some?)...if you have any suggestions to products or methods I can try please post!

Thanks

Soldato
OP
It sounds like your stubble is too extreme for a regular razor; you need to upgrade to the Gillette Fusion Gamer Power Razor.

Noo...more money on expensive blades!:(

Ditch the disposable and go for a DE safety razor, such as a Merkur. It won't irritate your skin at all unless you use it incorrectly.

I don't use a disposable, I have a Gillete Fusion...;)

I was thinking, sometimes I don't shave for a while, and my stubble becomes quite long making it harder to shave. Do you think shaving more frequently will stop the irritation or help it?

Soldato
OP
Hmm might just get me a merkur then. Already had some suggestions on which one to get anyone got anymore suggestions about a good entry level merkur?

Soldato
OP
I have purchased a Merkur....:cool:...comes free with 30 blades of somesort as well!

Will let you know the verdict when I get it!

I take it you shave in the same way as normal with one of these bad boys?

Soldato
OP
Hey guys.

A little update...

After a few uses with the Merkur, I am very pleased with it. Although it was difficult to adjust to using it from a crappy fusion, it was totally worth it. I no longer have problems with rash and my skin feels much nicer after a shave. It's much more gentle on my skin as well which is great.

Anyone have any tips with regards to shaving the chin area? I always find this quite hard..

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;15339442 said:
How many passes are you doing and in what order? What problems are you experiencing exactly - cutting yourself, patchy shave etc?

On the chin where the stubble is thick, I get a patchy shave so I have to go over it a few times, in the direction of the stubble to get a decent shave, sometimes leading to small cuts...

Soldato
OP
Well a few months into using the Merkur I can positively say it's much better than any other fusion or whatever I've used before. Never get ANY irritation at all, shave is always clean most of the time. Definitely recommend one if you have sensitive skin/tough stubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom