The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Bit of a whirlwind so far. Put the house on the market on the thurday last week @1pm signed the paperwork with the agent and they had 2 viewings @2 and 3pm and had our first offer by the end of the day. Held out for the second viewing and by Friday morning we accepted an offer 5k above the asking! Now the stress of trying to find something after thinking this was going to take a few weeks to sell...

Soldato
I'm already ten thousand over asking price :).

I've put it to a closing date of this wednesday coming with more viewers today and over the weekend..

I'm not saying don't get your hopes up, but we had 24 viewings by the first Saturday (17 on that one day) and it took another week to get an offer which was under asking! Think we had about 35 viewings and 3 offers in the end.

Soldato
I'm not saying don't get your hopes up, but we had 24 viewings by the first Saturday (17 on that one day) and it took another week to get an offer which was under asking! Think we had about 35 viewings and 3 offers in the end.
I'm more than happy with the 10 thou over asking, no harm in trying though!

Man of Honour

Yeah first weekend we put the house on the market we had people arriving to view it before the last lot had left - went to best and final offer with everything looking positive and around 6 people in... and it all fell apart - seems most pulled out when they realised they were up against other people and the last couple of people interested kind of got wind of that and held out. Had no shortage of interest though and eventually sold at £5K under what we'd put it up for - could have probably got £5-10K over if we'd held out longer but we'd seen a place we didn't want to lose.

Soldato
I'm sure that won't happen to mine. 2 bed bungalow in a quiet cal-de-sac, all the OAPs are cashing their retirement cheques to get a bungalow :)
The ten grand over asking is with my lawyer waiting for me to accept.

So hopefully, i'm good!

Soldato
Yeah first weekend we put the house on the market we had people arriving to view it before the last lot had left - went to best and final offer with everything looking positive and around 6 people in... and it all fell apart - seems most pulled out when they realised they were up against other people and the last couple of people interested kind of got wind of that and held out. Had no shortage of interest though and eventually sold at £5K under what we'd put it up for - could have probably got £5-10K over if we'd held out longer but we'd seen a place we didn't want to lose.

Pretty much identical situation here. All the feedback from viewers was positive (and I had some direct rather than via the EA as well) but I think the competition, being top of the market, picky/naive first time buyers, and some people just wanting a good old fashioned nose all added up.

We actually had an offer accepted on our next house before ours was even on the market hence our rush. In the end we accepted 5k under asking (had a 2k and 3k under but 1 more link in the chain) but renegotiated on the next place down 10k. Was pretty ballsy but they accepted so it was actually better than if we'd got asking and not amended our offer!

Fingers cross no part of it falls through now...

Last edited:
Soldato
So I accepted the offer of 178 thousand, which is 10 thousand more than asking. 8 days of being on the market and I just couldn't be bothered any more.

Honestly I feel for you guys who have had a house on the market for months.

Asbestos testing gets done today on the artex of the place I want to move into, hoping for a good result! If not, there is no way I am paying for the skimming to be done, or I am pulling out.

Soldato
So I accepted the offer of 178 thousand, which is 10 thousand more than asking. 8 days of being on the market and I just couldn't be bothered any more.

Honestly I feel for you guys who have had a house on the market for months.

Asbestos testing gets done today on the artex of the place I want to move into, hoping for a good result! If not, there is no way I am paying for the skimming to be done, or I am pulling out.

Wow that was quick! :D

Congratulations :)

Soldato
Went on in Feb took 10 weeks to get an offer around 7th April, found place we loved in Feb so we’re hoping it wouldn’t sell and it didn’t, got £2500 under asking price and managed to knock 5k off asking for what we wanted.

People buying ours are first time buyers, place we are purchasing the sellers are moving to a vacant property, hopefully should be exchanging contracts in the next week and moving on 14th June.

Upgrading to 4 beds, off-road parking, 200 foot plot including a hot tub, summerhouse, garage etc

Soldato
Jeez
People who put an offer on my house, got an offer for theirs last night. Want to come round at 10am to start measuring up :)

Need to go tidy up again, thought I could have at least a few weeks of living the bachelor style :)

Associate
Grrr in that annoying phase where despite chasing up solicitors on at least a weekly basis and them saying ‘just a few enquiries being made’ you find that they have been sitting on the request for information from your buyers for 2 weeks asking stuff and wanting a boiler service which could have been bloody done and sorted by now

I really feel they deliberately try and slow the process down to somehow justify their fee.

Soldato

I always walk away when its a sealed bid as the estate agents know how much everyone offers and push the price up.

Soldato
Grrr in that annoying phase where despite chasing up solicitors on at least a weekly basis and them saying ‘just a few enquiries being made’ you find that they have been sitting on the request for information from your buyers for 2 weeks asking stuff and wanting a boiler service which could have been bloody done and sorted by now

I really feel they deliberately try and slow the process down to somehow justify their fee.

For the solicitor, the fee they get is tiny when compared to other work they do. So they often put the junior on it and/or never make it a priority to work on.

Soldato

Same boat, 7th April sale and new purchase agreed, small chain 3 of us, the people I am buying off had documents to sign a full week ahead of me yet I had turned around my fixtures and fittings on 12th April and only received my sellers details Saturday just gone. Hoping to move on 7 or 14th June my buyers are first time buyers and the people I am buying off are moving into a vacant property.

Soldato
Same boat, 7th April sale and new purchase agreed, small chain 3 of us, the people I am buying off had documents to sign a full week ahead of me yet I had turned around my fixtures and fittings on 12th April and only received my sellers details Saturday just gone. Hoping to move on 7 or 14th June my buyers are first time buyers and the people I am buying off are moving into a vacant property.
Thing is everyone does it differently. The place I work at now we send the contracts out to sign as soon as they are prepared, so say at week 2 out of the 8 week process. My old place they would be sent out when everything was pretty much ready so say week 6.

Which is why everyone gets their knickers in a twist saying 'oh noes my sellers have signed contracts but we haven', our solicitors are useless' when in reality signing a contract means nothing

Associate
Currently 10 weeks and counting into the whole "must exchange within 4 weeks" agreement on a new build...

Transfer of Equity being done by some cheap nasty cowboys my ex has employed the services of. For the past 5-6 weeks it's been 'a week or two' away... :(

But on the plus side new house is done and ready and I've been doing a bit of snagging already anyway to get issues resolved :)

Back
Top Bottom