The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Got all my forms to sign on Thursday last week in regards to HM Land Registry, Contracts etc. They sent me a SDLT form which presumably is now scrap but it was weird it only said on a purchase of £246000 it was only taxable for £2420. That's not 2% is it. Anyway, don't matter now I am not paying Stamp Duty.

Hopefully only another month to go now as I did stipulate I can't complete until after final mortgage payment on current place on 2nd November.

Stamp duty scales, first £X is free, then it's Y% on the next band etc.

Transmission breaker
Don
I confirmed photos/brochure/etc on my house via email at 11:19am with my local agent. They called me at 12:40 to arrange a viewing for Friday.. Wow..
I guess it must be someone on the books who wanted to see a property of type, as I cant see it online anywhere yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting development on our front:
The house we’re buying was built by the next-door neighbour for his mother and it was sold on when she died.

Water and drainage was connected through his meter and drains, so the place we’re buying has never had an account with the water company.

The current owner pays the neighbour a standing order each month to cover the bills — typical dodgy Cornish setup. :cry:

Anyway, apparently our lender won’t accept this and the vendor is going to have to go legit with a proper connection for water and drainage and a meter. No idea how long it will take to hook up but it’s obviously going to delay things…

Better to get it sorted now though than for it to cause issues closer to completion.

Bit of an update on this. The vendor has been fantastic and worked as quickly as possible to sort out the new connection. Unfortunately these things take time but we can’t fault the vendor.

Looks like the connection will be sorted around 24th October barring any hiccups.

So a three-month delay for the water connection…

The only silver lining is that it looks like all of the paperwork will be finalised ahead of that date, so with any luck, the moment we have confirmation of the connection we can crack on with exchange and completion.

Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Bit of an update on this. The vendor has been fantastic and worked as quickly as possible to sort out the new connection. Unfortunately these things take time but we can’t fault the vendor.

Looks like the connection will be sorted around 24th October barring any hiccups.

So a three-month delay for the water connection…

The only silver lining is that it looks like all of the paperwork will be finalised ahead of that date, so with any luck, the moment we have confirmation of the connection we can crack on with exchange and completion.

Fingers crossed!

Good luck mate.

Associate
anyone know when the HMRC calculator on their website will be updated. My solicitors seemingly need this to recalculate my stamp duty. £xk x 0%!

I don't want to come across as unreasonable chasing my solicitors, but having the money back now would aid my first month moving in costs!

Last edited:
Soldato
anyone know when the HMRC calculator on their website will be updated. My solicitors seemingly need this to recalculate my stamp duty. £xk x 0%!

I don't want to come across as unreasonable chasing my solicitors, but having the money back now would aid my first month moving in costs!
What?

Associate

Mine said the same and I then directed them to the notice on the same page which says to use the guidance document instead. They then sent me the updated invoice with it removed.

Associate
Soldato
It's perfectly reasonable for solicitors to be waiting for the calculators to be updated before returning funds or asking for reduced amounts. Solicitors have the liability for submitting the stamp duty return correctly and paying the correct amount. Bigger companies do this automatically and are either integrated to the gov.uk calculator or have their own version in their case management.

Sure for a company that does a handful of completions a day it's not an issue to manually reduce a few and refund, but the previous place I worked would have 1000+ completions some days. It's not feasible to do it all manually either for the time spent or the risk of underpaying and having a claim out of their own pockets. HMRC mess up allocating payments sometimes and end up sending late payment fines as it is without the risk of actually underpaying.

Soldato
It's perfectly reasonable for solicitors to be waiting for the calculators to be updated before returning funds or asking for reduced amounts. Solicitors have the liability for submitting the stamp duty return correctly and paying the correct amount. Bigger companies do this automatically and are either integrated to the gov.uk calculator or have their own version in their case management.

Sure for a company that does a handful of completions a day it's not an issue to manually reduce a few and refund, but the previous place I worked would have 1000+ completions some days. It's not feasible to do it all manually either for the time spent or the risk of underpaying and having a claim out of their own pockets. HMRC mess up allocating payments sometimes and end up sending late payment fines as it is without the risk of actually underpaying.
Don't disagree but the client should have nothing to do with it. Maybe they just didn't explain their position correctly.

Soldato
Friends of ours were due to exchange this week and complete on the 7th October — their vendor has just pulled out. :(

I saw them last week and their house is half packed up. Their buyers have already exchanged on their place so will have to move into rental.

Fees for the survey and searches have all been paid, with absolutely no recourse.

The system in England is ******* stupid. :mad:

Soldato
Friends of ours were due to exchange this week and complete on the 7th October — their vendor has just pulled out. :(

I saw them last week and their house is half packed up. Their buyers have already exchanged on their place so will have to move into rental.

Fees for the survey and searches have all been paid, with absolutely no recourse.

The system in England is ******* stupid. :mad:
wtf!!!

why did the vendor pull out?

Back
Top Bottom