The nervous wait to exchange....

Don
conflicted; Went to see a place (Barn Conversion, Semi); which was immaculate inside. Only issue is that to access the garden you have to cross the drive and go up some steps (not a huge issue, but I'm not sure the gf is keen).

Associate
Has anyone been through the process in recent weeks/months where a mortgage has expired for someone in the chain so they have to exchange and complete within the grace period (14 days in this case)? We're facing this at the moment with the bottom of our chain and it means we're likely to exchange on the 20/10 and complete on the 21/10 at best, more likely do both on the 21/10. Bit of a headache to say the least.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to see the bigger home yesterday afternoon and it is lovely inside, in a quiet street and requires next to no work if we got it (bar some garden tidying, but thats fine).

Apparently the vendors took an offer of asking price for it last time and that was the sale that fell through. She said the vendors have a house lined up and are half way down the process of buying it so need someone to act fast, she said you can try offering a bit lower as you can always go up but cant go down! I'm inclined to start my offer at £270,000 and see how we go.

Estate Agent also said out of the 6 viewing yesterday, 5 of us were no chain so in pretty similar positions. Just going to have to try and impress on them that we've got everything lined up, AIPs, deposits and hope we can snag it for not much more than asking.

I hate this part of the process.

Soldato
Went to see the bigger home yesterday afternoon and it is lovely inside, in a quiet street and requires next to no work if we got it (bar some garden tidying, but thats fine).

Apparently the vendors took an offer of asking price for it last time and that was the sale that fell through. She said the vendors have a house lined up and are half way down the process of buying it so need someone to act fast, she said you can try offering a bit lower as you can always go up but cant go down! I'm inclined to start my offer at £270,000 and see how we go.

Estate Agent also said out of the 6 viewing yesterday, 5 of us were no chain so in pretty similar positions. Just going to have to try and impress on them that we've got everything lined up, AIPs, deposits and hope we can snag it for not much more than asking.

I hate this part of the process.

Good luck...

Associate
Just been confirmed that we're doing a simulatenous exchange and completion next Friday. Exciting but also nervous about the extra pressure we're now facing. Has anyone else done both on the same day? Positive stories only please :D

Soldato
Just crack on, it isn’t worth worrying about.

Easier said than done but in reality the solicitors should be sorting it all out and there isn’t actually anything different for you to do other than verbally confirm you want to go ahead with the exchange before they actually do it. You still end up waiting by the phone for them to confirm it’s all gone through.

Soldato
Just been confirmed that we're doing a simulatenous exchange and completion next Friday. Exciting but also nervous about the extra pressure we're now facing. Has anyone else done both on the same day? Positive stories only please :D

Did this when we moved into our first house. Wasn't an issue as we had a rental, added a bit of stress on the morning, few extra phone calls but apart from that all was fine.

I'm not sure it would be quite so fun if we were selling at the same time, as we had the flat we had a few things packed in boxes and I took the bed apart but apart from that we'd planned to move all our bits in over the following weekend. Had we been selling we would have needed to have all our stuff in the van without the guarantee that we'd have anywhere to unload it that night.

Soldato
Did it on my last place. Didn't even know there was such a thing as hanging around in between.

Soldato
Well, that was easier than i expected. Offered £370k on the £380k house which was accepted first time.
Because their previous buyers fell through they have said our solicitor can use their searches which should speed things up a fair bit too I hope. I've also asked if the previous buyer had done a survey on the house too.
Going to finalise our mortgage application tomorrow.
Fingers crossed theres no hiccups!

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone offered on a house without a viewing? I'm thinking along those lines at the moment, firm telephone bid at asking price.
Biggest purchase of your life and you wouldn't even bother viewing? Personally i would view as pictures never tell a good picture and you can also use it during negotiations.

Soldato
Worst part is trying to find a removals that is available. After covid, removals were fully booked but luckily i managed to book 2 weeks in advance and they had a cancellation on the day i requested.

Soldato
Biggest purchase of your life and you wouldn't even bother viewing? Personally i would view as pictures never tell a good picture and you can also use it during negotiations.
Yeah agreed. Even if you had to jump on a plane (lol) and get there and back in one day it’d be worth the expense!

Soldato
You guys........you don't "commit" to buy just by putting in an offer and getting it accepted. He can put an offer in, and then view at his leisure, and then change his mind.

Odds are the estate agent won't allow a telephone bid unless you are well known to them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom