The nervous wait to exchange....

noj

noj

Associate
OP
Everyone is in the same boat these days.

I think the biggest mistake is thinking that YOUR estate agents care about you. They don't. There's primary customer is in the one purchasing your property.

Once we realised that, it all became clearer.

yeah...our EA couldn't care less anymore, they occasionally ask us when we're exchanging but that's more about "when are we getting paid" than anything else.

its just the last little things seem to take so long....

noj

noj

Associate
OP
well that's going to be interesting...

top of the chain have now said if we don't all exchange by Friday they are pulling out.

oh boy.

Associate
More arguments, The woman in the house now is saying august is the 1st date she can move out to rented accommodation,, how can it take that long:mad:.
At the point now where we are so close to walking away but don't want to have to go through all the loops again to find another one.
Grrrrrrrr

Associate
Just joining the fun and games:)
Had an offer on mine on Monday, offered on another place which has been accepted.
Now the fun legal part begins.

As for the stamp duty....:mad:

noj

noj

Associate
OP
big day today....

after a couple of bad nights today is the day. We either sort out the exchange or the top of the chain pulls out. Its now all down to agreeing completion dates.

The people we are buying from have an interesting idea of completion which brings a lot of light onto why they were slow sorting out their paperwork.
If we loose the house we want to buy then it looks like we'll keep going with the sale of ours and rent something for a short while and look again.

....big day today.....

Soldato
Good luck,

I agreed the sale of my place and the purchase of a new build on the 29th of January, The blood sucking soliitors still havent agreed exchange, the list of problems and hold ups is unreal the current hold up revolves around the my solicitor screwing up the help to buy paperwork, its agonisingly slow.
I do all the work for them including checking documents that they should be looking at and finding glaring errors like spelling errors and the wrong price on the sale.
They did the first set of searchs on the wrong address its just a joke.
I am taking them to the legal ombudsman after this is over but for now i have no choice but to grab my ankles and take it till the pains over.

House buying in the UK needs some serious reform and these so called lawyers all need to be shot.

Soldato
big day today....

after a couple of bad nights today is the day. We either sort out the exchange or the top of the chain pulls out. Its now all down to agreeing completion dates.

The people we are buying from have an interesting idea of completion which brings a lot of light onto why they were slow sorting out their paperwork.
If we loose the house we want to buy then it looks like we'll keep going with the sale of ours and rent something for a short while and look again.

....big day today.....

Good luck!

And thanks for the reply before - I eventually contacted the AE and only got a snippet of information that the seller had given all of the outstanding (there's never been anything that hasn't been outstanding btw) stuff to their solicitors. That was Monday, and i've been ringing and emailing my solicitor ever since with no news (he's always either not at desk / in meeting / at lunch etc.)
I proposed the date to complete of the 20th June about 6 weeks ago it seems, and told him to work towards that (after asking if it was feasible)

getting nowhere :/ and now it's going to be getting awkward with various time-off and rental notice arrangements. I'm being told by everyone to call my solicitor every day and be a pest; but he simply isn't there to pester (so they tell me)

noj

noj

Associate
OP
well what a **** day so far.

low point of the day has to be our estate agent telling the agent of the people we're buying from that "if they (we) cannot agree dates that's ok, we'll just sell a house down the road to them (our buyers)"

Yes folks, that's Estate Agents for you.

This has all been caused by our EA not being helpful and not getting involved in the important parts of the transaction. We think we have a date agreed now but we're just waiting for those magic words......

We are *this* close to either exchanging or the whole deal falling through.

Its a horrible experience.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that. ******* estate agents! Don't do themselves any favours do they.

We're in a similar position now. Just waiting the exchange but it seems people below in the chain are having issues! Argh. Hopefully it come good OP.

Associate
Good luck!

And thanks for the reply before - I eventually contacted the AE and only got a snippet of information that the seller had given all of the outstanding (there's never been anything that hasn't been outstanding btw) stuff to their solicitors. That was Monday, and i've been ringing and emailing my solicitor ever since with no news (he's always either not at desk / in meeting / at lunch etc.)
I proposed the date to complete of the 20th June about 6 weeks ago it seems, and told him to work towards that (after asking if it was feasible)

getting nowhere :/ and now it's going to be getting awkward with various time-off and rental notice arrangements. I'm being told by everyone to call my solicitor every day and be a pest; but he simply isn't there to pester (so they tell me)

I rang mine every day for 2 weeks forcing the issue until I got the keys to the house. I felt as if I didn't then I'd never move in.
4 months to buy a house that was empty when I first viewed it is a joke in my opinion.

My advice is keep at it. Pester the estate agents, the solicitors and the mortgage advisor. Pretty much anyone you can. Make demands. It is a pain in the ass but it really is in your best interest.

noj

noj

Associate
OP
possibly the most stressful day since getting married.

But we finally managed to exchange contract! A massive, massive relief.
We came within 30 minutes of the whole thing collapsing in a heap but we've now got our completion date set and can look forward to the move.

I admit the last few days have been a struggle and put a downer on the enthusiasm but I'm sure we'll bounce back.

Anyone interested in pictures :)

Soldato
possibly the most stressful day since getting married.

But we finally managed to exchange contract! A massive, massive relief.
We came within 30 minutes of the whole thing collapsing in a heap but we've now got our completion date set and can look forward to the move.

I admit the last few days have been a struggle and put a downer on the enthusiasm but I'm sure we'll bounce back.

Anyone interested in pictures :)

yeaaa! nice one! well done mate, sounds a bit close! when do you complete?

pics; ofcourse. ttiuwp and all that.

Soldato
Can I add to the group? I've been renting for a while, and we started looking for a house a few months ago. We only started viewings two weeks ago, and were lucky to only view three other places before seeing something we loved! We put an offer in which was declined, and we put another one in (still £20k below asking price) which was accepted.

I've found a surveyor who'll get up a ladder and have a proper look at the roof (next Wednesday), and a mortgage broker that isn't trying to bum me for the sake of a bit of extra commission. I'm also using my uncle's solicitor firm, as he's a partner and I know I can poke them remotely when required.

All is going well.

The trickiest bit by far has been applying for the mortgage because I'm an IT contractor, which is why I've gone through a broker. He has found me a great deal in fairness, but not before the underwriters requiring a LOT of information around my life. Everything except my underpant size, it seems.

Once that's sorted and the heartbreaking sight of seeing a huge deposit + fees leave my account is over, I'll feel better about the whole thing. :)

Soldato
Can I add to the group? I've been renting for a while, and we started looking for a house a few months ago. We only started viewings two weeks ago, and were lucky to only view three other places before seeing something we loved! We put an offer in which was declined, and we put another one in (still £20k below asking price) which was accepted.

I've found a surveyor who'll get up a ladder and have a proper look at the roof (next Wednesday), and a mortgage broker that isn't trying to bum me for the sake of a bit of extra commission. I'm also using my uncle's solicitor firm, as he's a partner and I know I can poke them remotely when required.

All is going well.

The trickiest bit by far has been applying for the mortgage because I'm an IT contractor, which is why I've gone through a broker. He has found me a great deal in fairness, but not before the underwriters requiring a LOT of information around my life. Everything except my underpant size, it seems.

Once that's sorted and the heartbreaking sight of seeing a huge deposit + fees leave my account is over, I'll feel better about the whole thing. :)

Hey, well done :) nice job on getting a solicitor you know, that's going to pay off later on.

with regards to your mortgage that is because of all of the regulation changes near the end of april where they have to assess affordability; your adviser maybe didn't tell you how easy it was a few month ago as it's not relevant - but that's the reason. I think you're right to go through an adviser as I believe they essentially act as the interviewer.

Mine is great and I have no problems at all with him creaming some commission (£600 iirc) off the top as he has been so helpful

PAz

PAz

Soldato
We exchanged on our property a week ago (the buyer is buying to let), completion date is set for July 11th.

Hoping our purchase will tie in, the seller has no chain as he has another house elsewhere. Waiting to exchange on it still, hoping Monday/Tuesday.

Buying and selling house is very very stressful indeed.

Amen to that.

We were supposed to exchange yesterday, the day before, the week before that and the fortnight before that.

Got told there were two outstanding queries which couldn't be answered because our vendors solicitor had decided not to work yesterday. So it'll be next week.

I've been very calm throughout this process, but I lost my temper yesterday resulting in a bit of a vent lol.

Targeting Monday/Tuesday for a 27th(!) completion. Needless to say we're packing boxes this weekend.

Soldato
Whilst the process is stressful, there are comedy moments.

For instance, when the sellers of the house you're buying asks you if you things which weren't specified on the advert. We had to stifle laughs at the attempts to sell us a 20yr old stained dirty carpet - the owner tried to insist that "We really will take it when we move, so you'll have to let us know ASAP if you want it. It'll be £400".

Similarly about things as petty as standard filament lightbulbs, spare fuses for normal sockets, and even so far as bathroom fittings and door hooks... I was like "JUST TAKE IT ALL DAMNIT, IT IS TRASH!!!".

Soldato
Hey, well done :) nice job on getting a solicitor you know, that's going to pay off later on.

with regards to your mortgage that is because of all of the regulation changes near the end of april where they have to assess affordability; your adviser maybe didn't tell you how easy it was a few month ago as it's not relevant - but that's the reason. I think you're right to go through an adviser as I believe they essentially act as the interviewer.

Mine is great and I have no problems at all with him creaming some commission (£600 iirc) off the top as he has been so helpful

Thanks! :)

Ah, the regulation changes seem to make sense as to why they're asking for more stuff. I don't mind from a proof perspective, because all my self-employed stuff has been done by the book and via a proper accountant, but it's just a little frustrating that we have so much to provide.

Just a few more bits (certified ID I'm hoping to get for free in the first half of this week), and we're all set for the mortgage application.

The EA sent the notification of sale through to me today, and immediately spelt my fiancée's name incorrectly. Start as you mean to go on! ;)

I'm still selling tat in the mean time to try and move less, and get some spare cash for . There isn't much left now thankfully, although if anybody wants a fridge-freezer, an iPhone 4S car dock or tickets to see Jay and Silent Bob in Bristol, I am your MAN! :p

noj

noj

Associate
OP
Whilst the process is stressful, there are comedy moments.

For instance, when the sellers of the house you're buying asks you if you things which weren't specified on the advert. We had to stifle laughs at the attempts to sell us a 20yr old stained dirty carpet - the owner tried to insist that "We really will take it when we move, so you'll have to let us know ASAP if you want it. It'll be £400".

Similarly about things as petty as standard filament lightbulbs, spare fuses for normal sockets, and even so far as bathroom fittings and door hooks... I was like "JUST TAKE IT ALL DAMNIT, IT IS TRASH!!!".

our comedy moments....

the sellers are taking everything out the house they can, I think we're being left light bulbs but not really sure!

Curtains were my favorite...when we offered on the house we went £10k under, they wanted more and said if we offered them 5k more they would leave the curtains. Our response....we can make them for less than that!

Back
Top Bottom