*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Permabanned
New Macs! Announced TODAY sometime.

Live stream; http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/live-from-apples-spotlight-turns-to-notebooks-event/

New MBP

231653-2008-10-13mbpleak-4_400.jpg

MacBook is currently faceless.

Daring Fireball confirms the leaked MacBook Pro photos from earlier this evening and adds some intriguing details about the new notebook.

Specifically, Gruber confirms that the new MacBook Pros will have "buttonless" trackpad which is made of glass. However, it appears the entire trackpad is one large button:

The new trackpad is similar to the Air’s, in that it is bigger and supports additional multi-touch gestures. But unlike the Air’s, the MacBook Pro’s new trackpad is made of glass, and is a button itself. You just press and it clicks.
In addition, he confirms what some have suspected -- that the new MacBook Pro is not available in matte-finish, only glossy. There will be no new 17" MacBook Pro immediately available, and it's unclear when/if it will be revised. The existing 17" model will still remain on sale but with increased storage/RAM options.

Gruber also confirms that regular MacBooks will be revised and that Engadget's footnote is wrong. The MacBook will contain the same buttonless trackpad and similar case design as the new MacBook Pros. MacBook Airs will be updated with a larger 120GB hard drive and larger 128GB SSD option. He also confirms our report about an $899 24" LED Apple Cinema Display.

CPU speeds are expected to remain about the same across all models, however, the MacBooks will benefit from improved graphics performance with built in NVIDIA 9400M GPUs. MacBook Pros will also contain a dedicated 9600M GT GPU, which should provide a large performance benefit as we've previously detailed.

Finally, Gruber addresses the pricing confusion from today. Apple apparently will only be offering two new MacBook configurations

- $1299: 2.0 GHz, 2 GB memory, 160 GB disk
- $1499: 2.4 GHz, 2 GB memory, 250 GB disk

The existing $1099 2.1GHz MacBook model will apparently remain to fill a $999 price slot but will not have the advantages of the new machines. Gruber was the first to accurately predict the October 14th announcement date for the new Apple notebooks.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/14...etails-clickable-glass-trackpad-gpus-pricing/

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I hate to say it but once you have had a Mac there ain't no going back.

Unless you play games, in which case I'd rather have an additional Windows machine for that as you can build great rigs for much cheaper than Mac Pros.

That's what I'm doing anyway, MacBook for some stuff but my PC will always be the gaming machine, Mac desktops don't interest me one bit to be honest.

Permabanned
OP
Guys do you think these new MacBooks will be available in-store within the next 3 weeks?

I go to America on Thursday for 2, so I'm looking forward to tomorrows announcement and in the mall in Florida they have a fairly large Apple Store so I'm hoping they will have the new models in stock.

Do Apple keep old stock around or do they update the models?

Permabanned
OP
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/14...etails-clickable-glass-trackpad-gpus-pricing/

Hmm, more expensive, that's quite disappointing. :(

Hope it isn't confirmed, the price has gone up by about $200 for the base model!

Glass trackpads too, I might go for the $999 white MacBook if that's getting a price reduce, I don't need a better GPU really, would have been nice though.

Hate using trackpads to click stuff however.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So if i want a white Macbook, and a cheaper one i got to buy now ?!!

Apparently the current base model MacBook (White/Black) is going to be priced at $999, I'll be getting that one IF current rumours are correct. :)

Rather have the White MB with a non glossy screen tbfh.

Permabanned
OP
What are the differences between the two screen types?

Gloss is worse for colour reproduction or something.

The main thing I hate about gloss is that you are constantly fighting with the screen because of reflections, it annoys the hell out of me on my parents laptop!

On matte screens however reflections are minimal at best.

Permabanned
OP
I like glossy, except for the horrible reflection. I was at my friends house and we was watching some YouTube videos but the reflection was just horrible, the sun wasn't shining on the laptop (sun wasn't even out!) but the reflection was still quite rampant.

Permabanned
OP
I prefer the old MacBook to be honest.

£530 I believe when I get it next week in the US, prefer the style and trackpad, but what about the screen? It ain't LED lit. :(

Or I could pay some extra for the new ones, approx £730 odd but not sure if it's worth it, don't intend on playing any intensive games (except WoW casually, I will barely play it on my MacBook though, mostly PC)

Permabanned
OP
Looks like a $900 MB White for me! :D

Most likely anywho, personally I prefer the white look but I do like the LED lit screen, not fussed about the GPU upgrade really but would have been nice, but not £200 extra-nice.

Permabanned
OP
Well I actually meant the aluminium case itself. As nice as it looks, it seems to be a rather expensive addition for people who aren't really going to be bothered by it (I think it's better on the MBP only).

This is a major struggle for me, as I really really really wanted one before seeing what Apple have done. Apart from the case, the touchpad changes worry me and the "gloss only" screen as well.

The HE discount softens the blow somewhat, but it's still £125 the wrong side of painful, especially as i'm going to need a case and a mouse.

Why don't you buy one of the 'old' White MacBooks?

Only major difference I'd say is the GPU!

Permabanned
OP
Right I've made up my mind!

Gonna go for the older White MacBook because...

- Looks nicer, IMO, no Apple logo on the new ones so it seems
- Faster processor for cheaper
- Old ones GPU will do me for the very, very small amount of gaming I'll do (I will likely only log on World of Warcraft to check auctions now and then, PC is for gaming)
- Firewire on the older ones

But...I don't want a 120! Will I be able to have the HDD bumped up to 160 in store? I'm gonna be going to the store in Florida Mall but I have a feeling I'll end up going for 120. :(

Gonna bump the ram up too, but will do that when I'm back in the UK as Apple charge criminal amounts for the ram.

Edit: First Mac btw. ;) (used them before though, albeit an ancient 2002 eMac)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I am looking out for the old one on sale in the shop for around £500 to £600, that's a bargain right? Or are the features in the new one worth £300 more? Taking in mind i don't play games on the pc and it'll be for movies, net and photoshop.

I don't think it's worth £300 more at all really, I'd spend it if I could justify the GPU upgrade as to me that's the main new piece of tech, but as I said I won't be doing any real gaming at all.

The new style if subjective (I prefer the plastic white), the LED screen is nice but I've seen the White MacBooks in action and thought the screen was great on them without LED.

In some ways the new base model MacBook is a step back, slightly lower processor and no firewire, however it does have an extra gig of ram as standard. (even though ram is very cheap to upgrade yourself)

Permabanned
OP
To be fair and without sounding like a complete fanboy, have you watched the video about the new MacBook?

There is a reason its £300 more.

It's not just a refresh.....they've rebuilt it completely from scratch! Can you blame them for charging an extra premium?

Yes it is a bit like daylight robbery as they are getting a massive profit, BUT they want some monies back for this new way of building them and the 2 years of research that went into it. Fair play imo.

That's all fine and dandy but, I still don't think it's worth it. :)

Permabanned
OP
Anyone seen the new MB/MBP in UK stores yet?

No sign of them in Apple Exeter - just a sea of black, white and 'old' MBPs...

Hmm I kinda hope they have Black MB's in store when I go, quite tempted to go for one.

Heard they get very greasy and the keyboard picks up oils very easily though.

Back
Top Bottom