• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Next Generation of Graphics APIs

Soldato
The time for this will be when beta ends and a standard can be considered for ratification and possible release to a working group.

Microsoft didn't wait for that, they seemed to get Nvidia (and AMD) involved from the start so they could have their input. Seems like doing this before you start is better than when you've finished and changing things would be more expensive.

Soldato
Eh?

There is no expense for AMD in regards to Nvidia/Intel support, the balls going to be firmly at their feet in regards to adoption expense-or not if it's to be dismissed.

Is/Was AMD to foot the bill for other vendors support implementation?

DX is DX, it is a different business practice in regards to AMD/Nvidia api support.

Soldato
Obviously, that still doesn't help anyone as you're underselling it by not making it readily available yet. Many people are already working on DX12.

Perhaps you'd be able to clear up why the SDK is still exclusive?

Before a new console is launched, do they give away the SDK to any old Tom Dick & Harry? Strategic partners, reliable feedback.

Soldato
Eh?

There is no expense for AMD in regards to Nvidia/Intel support, the balls going to be firmly at their feet in regards to adoption expense-or not if it's to be dismissed.

Is/Was AMD to foot the bill for other vendors support implementation?

DX is DX, it is a different business practice in regards to AMD/Nvidia api support.

What I'm saying is if you got all the people you wanted on-board involved early on they could have their input at the start. If you get everyone involved after you've finished then any input they may have would be expensive to change as you'd have to pay your employees to do more work on it. If they'd done it that way from the start it wouldn't have cost them money to re-work it.
Now the other option is that Microsoft are saying "Come and help us make this as good as we can in a way that will work as well as possible with your hardware", while AMD are saying "We've done it this way, either do it like that or just ****ing do one!". And then in their next breath AMD are saying that they'd like it to be cross-vendor and an industry standard and then blame Nvidia and Intel for not coming on board when they've not made it in any way appealing to do so.
Maybe that was the different business practice you were talking about. Microsoft wanting AMD, Nvidia and Intel on board while AMD want to make it sound like they do when in actual fact they really don't.

Soldato
The different business practice is MS make OS/software, AMD make hardware, that's a fundamental difference.

MS need AMD/Nvidia development partnership, they don't make the hardware.

AMD took the bull by the horns and Frank Sinatra'd it-at their pace in full control, the rest would have had to have been involved from the start sharing costs and time-was there discussion about it between parties, we'll never know.

Soldato
This isn't a console, and yes actually, you do. Least not a screened audience.

Microsoft has opened up the application process to be among the first round of developers to get the next Kinect for Windows dev kits.

Priced at $399, this initial wave of dev kits will reach accepted applicants in November before the commercial version launches next year.

There are a limited number of spots in this early access program, and all applications must be received by 31st July. Accepted applicants will be notified in August.

To apply for this dev kit pre-order program, head on over to Microsoft's official site.

Soldato
Yes because that answers the question (???) by limited I can confirm that is said liberally. If you applied now, you'd get one.

Plus that's Kinect so not sure what your point is lol.

Still doesn't explain the scrutineering with Mantle.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Perhaps you'd be able to clear up why the SDK is still exclusive?

That's already been explained to you rather clearly.

While Mantle is currently in closed beta for the purposes of rapid development, our intention to release a public SDK by the end of the year would open Mantle to the same extent as any other graphics API. Further adoption beyond that point would be limited only by a hardware vendor's willingness to do so. This would also permit a software vendor to optimize a Mantle render backend for other microarchitectures.

Soldato
@Thracks.. thank you very much for clearing up a lot of questions and doubt/confusion in some peoples minds :)

To celebrate this good news i am now going to fill my face with some lovely bacon and cheese oatcakes :D

True Potteries style :p

Soldato
Personally I'm not worried, I just want DX12 to be good, anything after that is a bonus. My reason for favouring DX is the cross-vendor nature. Unlike Mantle I think DX12 does want to be THE graphics API.
Sorry but I don't understand how did you come to this conclusion?

Mantle's API- solely focusing on advancement of PC gaming and its graphic and improving efficiency and performance of hardware

dx12- multi-purposes API design to support multi-platforms- Xbox, mobile, tablets, phone and PC at the same time

"Unlike Mantle I think DX12 does want to be THE graphics API."

What?

If dx12 REALLY want to be THE (best) graphic API, then they would benefit the most with standalone development like Mantle, and remove support for other platforms from the equation to avoid any potential complications, restrictions or compromise made due to consideration toward other platforms, to become the very best that it can possibly can be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom