The NHS is wonderful, but sometimes it really disappoints...

Associate
Presumably you’re talking about Warfarin, which my GP prescribed when he said that my pulse was irregular.
Warfarin works on rats by disrupting the animal’s blood from clotting, and they die from internal bleeding, don’t know why it doesn’t seem to do the same for humans, but I guess that as it thins the blood, it makes it flow through the veins easier, and regulates the pulse.
The downside, (for me), with Warfarin, was the blood tests every few weeks, I could suffer the needles, they didn’t hurt, it was the aggravation of keeping appointments with the surgery nurse.
Eventually my GP took me off Warfarin, and switched me to Rivaroxaban, a blood thinning med which requires no regular blood test checking apparently.

Warfarin does nothing for rate control. It makes the blood less likely to clot and reduces the risk of a stroke. In my view warfarin is only for AF with mitral valve disease, otherwise I exclusively prescribe apixaban. My go to for AF is Bisoprolol and Apixaban, even if the HR is normal I start 1.25mg bisoprolol, since the consequences of rate related cardiomyopathy can be dire.

Caporegime
Oh dear, my wife already has a pretty dim view of the NHS from past experience and they have just sent her to the wrong hospital for a scan after she's cancelled meetings and taken time off work. We knew it sounded too good to be true when they arranged this appointment quick time :p:(:o

Back
Top Bottom