The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Finally got round to making flax seed crackers as discussed with Glaucus earlier in the thread. I used half milled and half whole flax seed and baked at 170 (fan) for 30 mins. Turned out fairly well, although I'll try rolling it out a tad thinner next time and adding a bit of sea salt.

8HEH90fh.jpg

Nice with a bit of Stilton :cool:

Soldato
Finally got round to making flax seed crackers as discussed with Glaucus earlier in the thread. I used half milled and half whole flax seed and baked at 170 (fan) for 30 mins. Turned out fairly well, although I'll try rolling it out a tad thinner next time and adding a bit of sea salt.

wow they held together with just water ?

i usually put in some olive oil, using variant of below recipe ... with a quick blitz of tougher seeds.
Bill's Rona oatcakes
This recipe is Bill Cowie's, island manager of Rona in the Inner Hebrides. He made a batch when we were filming and fishing with him in July. We devoured every last one, with cheese and homemade chutney. Makes about 20.
140g medium oatmeal
140g porridge oats
10 twists of black pepper
½ tsp salt
A small handful of sunflower or other seeds (optional)
75ml extra-virgin olive oil

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
wow they held together with just water ?

i usually put in some olive oil, using variant of below recipe ... with a quick blitz of tougher seeds.

They held together surprisingly well. I wouldn't want to chuck them about, mind you - they're a bit fragile but perfectly usable.
Your oatcake recipe looks good but I'm trying to cut my carb intake to help control my blood glucose (type 2 diabetes). The flax seed crackers are tasty and nutritious with a negligible amount of carbs.

PS: Just had some more with the last of the Stilton and a glass of Graham's Crusted Port - very nice. Definitely need to roll them a bit thinner next time as some of the thicker bits are a tad chewy. I wouldn't like to bake them any longer as the outside bits were just short of burned. If I wasn't going away tomorrow, I'd whack them in the dehydrator for a few hours to see if they'd crisp up a bit more.

Last edited:
Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Vj4cao.jpg

On a bit of a cookie baking kick at the moment. These are double chocolate orange. Saturday, I'll make white chocolate and peanut butter.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
^I'm licking my screen but the taste isn't coming through. :( :p
:D
Those cookies look amazing!

Any chance of a recipe if you don't mind, or link?

It's mostly this recipe -
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4807/best-big--fat--chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies.aspx with a few tweaks.

I use self raising flour rather than plain flour and bicarbonate of soda. Instead of 200g of brown sugar and 100g of caster sugar, I use 200g of caster sugar with 100g of drinking chocolate. For the chocolate chips, I break up a Chocolate Orange into small chunks.

Ohh, and don't listen to the cooking time! I've found 8 minutes at most is usually fine then leave them on the side on the tray for a couple of minutes to finish off by themselves.
Undercooking is key otherwise they end up too crunchy!

Back
Top Bottom