The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Noticed that there have been a few threads on whisky here. Thought we could build up our own little thread of impressions (if it catches on). Keep an open mind. A lot of people keep to single malts but I've had the odd good blend or two, which surprised me after I'd got a bit snobbish about it. No need to keep it Scotch either. Any whisky or whiskey will do.

The main rule is you must write your review, with dram beside you as you're drinking the stuff. Reviews from memory not allowed. You should add enough information to uniquely identify the whisky. As a minimum this should be the brand name (or distillery), type (single malt, single grain, blended malt, blend, tenessee whisky, bourbon etc) and strength (e.g Famous Grouse, Scotch blend, 40%). Age and location should be included if stated on the packaging (e.g Glenlivet 12yo, Speyside Single Malt Scotch, 43%). Please state if you're adding ice or water, otherwise we'll assume you're drinking it straight. If you bought the bottle recently please indicate the price.

I'd suggest using a scoring criteria derived from Jim Murray's Whisky Bible series. That involves rating by four criteria.

These are:

Nose (n): The aroma. In short - what does it smell like? Worth trying a few times as the smell can change in the glass on contact with air. Give the drink a swirl around the glass and inhale

Taste (t): From arrival in the mouth to when it reaches its maximum intensity, what does it taste like?

Finish (f): The aftertaste. What's it like when there's no liquid left in your mouth. How long can you taste something for?

Balance (b) What's your overall impression? Does it delight or disappoint. Are some aspects good but other lacking or is it the complete package.

Each of these should be scored out of 25. 1-12 should be the unpleasant side of average range. 13-18 should be unimpressive. above 19 should be in the pleasant range. 25 would mean that you could barely imagine it being improved. Add the four scores and you'll get a score out of 100. I've had to interpret these ranges, as he never really defines them. Should be a step in the right direction.

Here's Mr Murray's take on what the final score means:

0-50: Nothing short of absolutely diabolical
51-64: Nasty and well worth avoiding
65-69: Very unimpressive indeed
70-74: Usually drinkable but don't expect the earth to move
75-79: Average and usually pleasant though sometimes flawed
80-84: Good whisky worth trying
85-89: Very good to excellent whiskies, definitely worth buying
90-93: Brilliant
94-97: Superstar whiskies that give us all a reason to live
98-100: Better than anything I've ever tasted

So - to kick us off

Oban, 14yo, Western Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 43%.
n: bouquet of flowers. toffee. Pollen tickles the nose like the mildest possible hay fever. 20
t: irn bru. Oak. Peppery Heat. Slight soapiness. 20
f: root beer. White pepper. Hint of iodine. Fairly long and lingering ending in tree bark. 22
b: Slightly unusual and disjointed. Good separation of flavours. 20
Overall 82.

Have fun ;)

Edit: A guide to whisky tasting from Whisky magazine: http://www.whiskymag.com/nosing_course/part1.php

Edit: Recommendations with price guide for Christmas 09:

I've added whiskies scored 90 or higher here, plus cheaper whiskies scoring above 85.

I've also added a taste rating of A to D, where A is light or malty (e.g Glenturret, Auchentoshan) and D is very strong flavoured - spicy smoky or peaty (e.g. Laphroaig, Highland Park). If buying presents and you don't know whether someone likes particularly light or strong whiskies, I'd recommment staying in the B-C range.

Lagavulin 16 yo. Price £40. Scores: 95 (2007 bottling, Uriel), 97 (2009 bottling, Uriel). Taste rating D
Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Price £60. Scores 97 (Uriel, revised from 94 after re-tasting). Taste Rating D
Ardbeg 10 yo. Price £28. Scores: Recommended (no score, NickK) 95 (Uriel) Taste Rating D
Bowmore Tempest 10yo. Price £45. Score 94 (Uriel). Taste Rating D
Bruichladdich Rum Cask 17yo 46%. Price ?. Score 91 (Uriel). Taste Rating B
Clynelish 14yo. Price £30. Score 94 (Uriel). Taste Rating C
Glen Moray (NAS). Price £16 to £25. Score 88 (Uriel). Taste Rating B
Longmorn 16 yo. Price £50. Scores: 90 (colinuk). Taste rating C-D (my guess from his description)
Talisker 10 yo. Price £25 Scores 90 (Uriel) Taste Rating D
Monkey Shoulder. Price £20. Scores 90 (Uriel) Taste Rating B
Glen Moray (No age statement). Price £16. Scores: 88 (Uriel) Taste Rating A
Jura 10 yo. Price £16. Score 87 (Uriel) Taste Rating C.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;14218297 said:
Reminds me of the mad, blonde woman who used to be in the Food & Drink Show. She was an idiot, alas, although I am sure you are not :)

When sober, I shall opine on the benefits of Laphroaig, perhaps even flaunting a score.

Whisky is practically the only thing I drink or eat slowly. Best way to stop me getting drunk is give me a good Islay like Laphroaig or Laguvulin and I'll sit there and sniff the stuff for hours.

Edit: Just finished my wee dram of Oban. Only took me an hour or so. That was rushed actually.

Soldato
OP
Okay here goes with one of my favorites and I have a large and varied collection :D

The Glenlivet 18Yo Single Malt, Speyside 43%
n: quite sweet and with subtle floral layers, hint of peatiness and a slight hint of the sherry oak 22
t: slightly flowery with a hint of sweetness but then developing smoothly 19
f: good long lasting after taste switching between sweet and bitter flavours 21
b: delightfull embodies everything their should be in a good whisky of this region and age overall a good package of all aspects. 22

84 overall shall we post pics?

Only 84 for one of your favourites? I think you may be being a tad conservative on the scoring.

Pics seems like a good idea.

Soldato
OP
Why would you want to do this, surely over analysing something to this extent removes the sheer pleasure of drinking the stuff, next you'll be telling me you spat it in a metal can?

I actually find I enjoy it more. Analysing the experience enriches it for me.

Does knowledge of musical theory or sound engineering diminish one's enjoyment of music?

Soldato
OP
I've got another. This one's a personal favourite. I'm a sucker for a good Islay and this, by reputation, is one of the best.

Lagavulin Aged 16 Years, Islay Single Malt Scotch, 43%
n. Something difrerent each time I smell it. Sausages barbecued to black over a peat and oak fire. Then furniture polish. A hint of vanilla after you've tasted it. 22
t, Smoky before the liquid hits the palette, like smelling with your mouth. "Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hands... And he laid it upon my mouth" Isaiah 6:6a. 25
f. Lapsang souchong, then black pepper. Peat, staying there for a good while. Eventually a faint hint of peppermint. 25
b. Hold it in your mouth and inhale. It's like a good Havanna cigar. Add a drop of water and the nose gets smokier. Never seems quite as good as the first time I tasted it though. 23
Overall 95.

Soldato
OP
I am with the brooder why would anybody drink whisky when there are so many fine brandys.

Why not have both? They are the beer and wine of the spirits world.

Personally I prefer both beer and whisky to wine and brandy but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the others.

Ok, I bit. Just 10 years young Ardbeg.

10 years old. 46% non-chill filtered without being diluted down from 80% to the desired. This is neat.

Nose (n):
Smokey embers of a dead fire in the air, perhaps further down the valley giving way to a deep smokey peat.

Taste (t):
very smooth, full, warming, smoke like a proper wood smoked salmon.
A good mouthful feels like the embers are still burning on the tongue, the fire gives way to a cooling fleeting across your tongue and the intense smokey taste giving away to peat.

Finish (f):
A long long after taste of the smoky peat. It doesn't change, or transform but merely lingers on and on..

Balance (b): A delight. This I have to say is rather amazing considering it's neat 46%. No sharpness of alcohol (although it's there) and the full clear taste without any oddities. It's more rounded than Laphroig which I think is raw and smokier compared to this.

Omnomnom. No scores? Haven't had this particular Ardberg but heard it's very good. Got a few awards in 2008, I hear.

Soldato
OP
Even at low concentrations alcohol is easy to taste in a drink.

Don't know. I tried some pear cider a few weeks ago and honestly wouldn't have thought it was alcoholic if I'd not seen the label.

A properly mixed long island iced tea could fool a few people too and it's pretty strong.

Anyway, I've got another.

Talisker 10 yo, Isle of Skye Single Malt Scotch Whisky. 45.8%

n. Ice cream soda at first then alcoholic fire at the back of your nose. 21.
t. Peppery heat - maybe a hint of capsicum. Spicy. Burned oak. There's something I can't quite place about this one. Maybe oily fish like smoked mackarel with chillies. 23.
f. Hot. Long and lingering. The burned oak stays with you. Maybe slightly oily. 23
b. Long and complex from start to finish. 23.
Overall. 90.

Soldato
OP
Whisky makes me want to vomit, I can't stomach it. Guess I'm a girl. :(

What you need is a ladies' whisky and maybe add water. Try some Glenturret or Glengoyne (probably the latter).

There's some pretty nasty whisky out there though. The major blends of a few years ago weren't particularly nice, although Bells has improved considerably. Had a really nasty menace of a whisky on a recent trip to Scotland. Had a taste of a random cheap blend they sell in service stations to tourists (thinking it was something else). It was just harsh at first and then the caramel artificial colouring deadened my tastebuds for about 3 hours. Very very wrong.

Saying you don't like whisky when you've not tried many different types is a bit like saying you don't like beer, after only having tried a warm can of Skol.

Soldato
OP
I'll have to try that sometime then, normally I use an alcohol substitue like gbl becuase I can't stand the taste of the stuff, even 5% drinks like beer and champagne taste awful to me, considering the % of whisky it's why I never tried any.

I'll look up what brand it was. I can immediately tell Bullmers and Magners pear ciders are alcoholic. This was something else.

Soldato
OP
Glenfiddich Special Reserve Aged 12 Years Speyside Single Malt Scotch 43%

n: Sherry. Maybe a little vanilla. 20
t: Smooth, toffeish. Slighly medicinal and oily. 18
f: Hint of peat and peppery heat. Remains slightly medicinal - more so at the end. Quite long but not that pleasant. 18
b: Pleasant nose and long finish are its redeeming features. It's too oily and medicinal for my tastes. 19
Overall 75

Soldato
OP
Alright ladies and gents. Time to lower the tone: a blend.

It's a triple malt. 3 single malts, vatted. No grain. I'm into new territory here. First time with a vatted malt from more than one distillery. So...

Monkey Shoulder. Scotch vatted malt (triple). 40%
n. Sweet malted barley. Toffee. A hint of wood varnish. Maybe bourbon. 20
t. Buttery and a little salty. Toasted teacakes. Shortbread. Dry. Building to hot and peppery. 23
f. Peppery - or maybe peppermint. Moist and juicy. Quite long. A bit of bourbon about it again. 23
b. If I was just commenting on undiluted it would be a score in the 80s, but add a splash of water and all sorts of stuff comes out. Something about it sort of reminds me of an unsweetened aftershock but I'm not sure why. Something of cereal about it too. 24.
Overall: 90. Not bad for £20 from Sainsburys.

Edit: nearly forgot to say - this stuff is oily. When you add the water it takes much longer than usual for visual uniformity to be restored.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just back from an Ardbeg tasting. The Beastie Mobile tour Ardbeg Beastie Mobile

Didn't take notes so no scores but will post some general impressions.

Got to try 3 different whiskies. Firstly there was the very lightly peated Ardbeg Blasda. Very nice and malty with a hint of peat and smoke. Very smooth though, not at all harsh. It's an easy drinking islay, possibly a good introduction to peated whisky for someone that generally likes speysides or lowlands.

There's the standard Ardgeg 10 yo - very peaty and smoky, long finish. Bought a bottle (as it was the cheapest. They were all nice).

Finally, got to try Ardbeg Uigeadail. Wow. This was interesting stuff. Cask strength and with a very peaty kick to it. I didn't use water but maybe I should have. First impression of the nose was strong sherry. The sort of nose I'd expect from a MacAllan. The peat comes through eventually but isn't the first thing to hit you. Once in your mouth there's no mistaking it's an Ardbeg. Wonderful earthiness, leading to a long and powerful dry peaty finish. When I think back I'm almost regretting getting the 10yo rather than this, in spite of the price difference.

Soldato
OP
Some more tasting notes for you:

Glenturret Aged 10 Years Single Highland Malt 40%
n. Everything rather gentle. Malt, maple syrup and a hint of ginger. Some wood resin, becoming dominant as you sniff it for longer. 19
t. Again gentle. The tiniest sips practically disappear. Slightly earthy. Perhaps porridge? If you take a bigger sip it gains a peppery heat at the back of your mouth. 21
f. Long and powerful for such an initially gentle whisky. Peppery heat and oak. 22
b. One of the subtlest single malts I've tried at first. Starts slowly then hits the gas. Adding water enhances the nose but dulls the finish. 21.
Overall 83

Soldato
OP
OK, I will do when I can. Have had some of my whiskies a good while though. I added a price on the Monkey Shoulder, as I'd just bought it. I've also amended the original post, to ask reviewers to include it where possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I like Laphroaig, quite a lot. Then again, peaty, smoky whisky is pretty much my favourite type. Stuff that's a bit like chewing a burned table leg. Yum! Certainly not to everybody's taste. I'm sure I would have hated it in my teens.

I'm pretty sure you won't like Lagavulin or Ardbeg much either.

In other news, I found out that the Ardbeg Uigeadail I tried got Jim Murray's 2009 award for World Whisky of the Year (the Ardbeg 10 got it in 2008). Definitely was good stuff - about £40 a bottle though.

Ardbeg was closed from the 80s until 1997. That means a lot of recent Ardbed 10 yo (mine cost £28) bottlings have actually been considerably older (age rated Scotch Wisky refers to the guarenteed youngest stuff in there). We'll have to see if the quality stays up there when they're back to really using 10 year old whisky, which should start happening about now. I wonder if my bottle is really mutton dressed as lamb? Need to get my Lagavulin 16 yo drank before I start it.

Soldato
OP
To lower the tone further, I've dragged out a bottle of standard run of the mill famous grouse that had been sitting in my cupboard for a few years. I've become a bit of a malt snob. Even the monkey shoulder I posted notes on was a pure blended malt with no grain to speak of. I hear Famous Grouse has improved in recent years so this might not be quite what you'd be able to buy down the shops right now.

So here we go...

Famous Grouse Blended Scotch Whisky 40%
n. Delicate, sweet honey and toffee notes. Sniff harder and you get to some grain harshness. Not very strong. 21
t. I'm having trouble placing the flavours. A little creamy malty sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Strongish oak and even a little hint of peat. There's an overall tanginess to it, perhaps from the grain spirit. Maybe a bad sherry cask or two made it into the blend: I can detect just the slightest hint of sulphur that hits me half way between the nose and the taste. 21
f. An initial peppery bite. A little oak. I think there might be a bit of caramel in there and it spoils the effect. Tonge becomes sligtly deadened after a while. 18
b. Complex, particularly the taste. There's no spark for me, however. Slightly spoiled by tiny hints of sulphur and caramel that it would be better without. 20.
Overall 80

Edit: This is your standard £10-15 Famous Grouse. Interestingly I think I rate it above standard Glenfiddich 12yo...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is this thread only devoted to malt whiskies, or can anyone give opinions on Bourbons?

From the first paragraph on the first page:
A lot of people keep to single malts but I've had the odd good blend or two, which surprised me after I'd got a bit snobbish about it. No need to keep it Scotch either. Any whisky or whiskey will do.

Fire away. I've not had chance to try any seriously good bourbons yet but I'm keen to learn.

Soldato
OP
Dunno - It's worth reviewing the bad stuff as well as the good. Even supermarket own brand stuff can throw up a surprise or two. I hear the Tesco value blend isn't too bad but I can never bring myself to buy it.

I have a particularly nasty single malt from Netto that I'll have to review at some point. It's not bad for cooking I suppose.

Soldato
OP
I like the Bushmills single malts I've tried. Never had the standard stuff. I agree that Jamesons is pretty pleasant stuff, based on a shot I had a few weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom