*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
Let s say 'hypothetically' that thermal throttling wasn't an issue on either the i7 or i9 Pro's. What would justify buying the i9 over the i7 or viece versa. I am asking as a potential buyer, cheers.

Personally, I always buy the top spec ones in terms of performance - you can never have enough can you. It really depends on your usage. Out and about for work I use a lot of virtual stuff, often running 3/4/5 VMs for demo/testing setups etc. It's really useful to be able to do it on the go. Saying that, now I've got stupid Internet (HyperOptic 1Gbps) I've started just VPN'ing back home and using my 'Pro more....

Which basically means lol i9 man-maths :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't understand the need to do things that require a lot of CPU load on a laptop. Surely a desktop would make more sense? I get that some users travel a lot, but for those that don't?

Soldato
I don't understand the need to do things that require a lot of CPU load on a laptop. Surely a desktop would make more sense? I get that some users travel a lot, but for those that don't?

I've an iMac Pro at home for the virtual stuff, and a ton of free Azure credits that I never get around to using :/

Man of Honour
You can’t pick up your desktop and take it into the garden, kitchen etc. Laptops with a bit of power are super handy around the home as well as away from home.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You can’t pick up your desktop and take it into the garden, kitchen etc. Laptops with a bit of power are super handy around the home as well as away from home.

I get that, but surely if you're doing some big CPU tasks you don't do this in the garden? If I'm at home and doing work, then I'm at the desk with my desktop.

Man of Honour
I get that, but surely if you're doing some big CPU tasks you don't do this in the garden? If I'm at home and doing work, then I'm at the desk with my desktop.
I run VMs on mine. I only use my desktop for gaming as I really can’t stand Windows 10 when I have OSX available.

Man of Honour
I haven't used VMs in years, but those don't max out the CPU load like exporting videos/data crunching/AI etc?

Mine do, get more than one on the go and start using them, the CPU usage soon goes up. That’s what I find frustrating about the 2017 13” model that I have, it’s only a dual core CPU with HT, so doesn’t scale too well. I Wes hoping for something beefier in this new release but I guess I was hoping for too much!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Fair enough. I'd still be using a desktop for anything that required pure grunt, unless I was needing to do this type of work on-site/away from home. At home, I cannot see the logic in having a laptop when you can have a desktop.

Man of Honour
I have both.

I’m and iT consultant so it’s nice to have something that is powerful enough and portable for demonstrations. Being able to use it in the garden is a huge bonus. I have an iPad also but I would rather use the MBP if I had the choice.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yep, there are definitely use cases where it does make sense. I just think for a lot of users they would be better off with a desktop. The iMacs will no doubt be refreshed to 8th gen this year and those should fair better with cooling... hopefully.

Soldato
OP

I'm a photographer/videographer and work all over the UK and edit in my camper van - I need powerful computers that are portable with reasonable power draw - the solar in my van can kick out 300watt on a sunny day, so real world use after power conversion means 225watt useful power id guess - I do have a large leisure battery however than can run my main desktop pc for 14 hours without charging and 1 27" monitor.

However for practical reasons and space - a very powerful laptop with colour accurate screen is ideal for me.

Permabanned
Dammit DPD. Two separate deliveries from Apple due today via them. Got a message for both 'Thanks for your request, we have rescheduled your deliveries for Monday'. The gits.

Call DPD, ask to be put through to your local depot. Tell them you desperately need the package for the weekend. Tell them you didn't request a reschedule.

As long as they have bandwidth (it may even be on van already)... they will usually force the driver to get to you by the end of the day... DPD have been pretty good with that when they mucked up a new printer delivery twice.

Looks like mine is coming UPS.

Back
Top Bottom